PDA

View Full Version : Report Your Problems you've had so far.

chipworkz
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
A few threads have included various issues that people have had so far. Let’s post what we have found so we can see if there are certain things that are common.

1) The hard to start problem.
Engine cold, Choke on, Starter button pushed no throttle. Starts alright the first time but will not want to restart if it dies.

Fix: This seems to be getting better but was very bad at first.

2) Incorrect installation of rubber seal on steering stem upper mount.
During inspection of the quad I noticed the seal on the upper mount was sticking out about a half inch. During assembly it was not properly inserted.

Fix: I took off the mount and installed it correctly.

Knock on wood that’s all for me so far.
Lets here from all of you.

feature05
03-25-2007, 11:03 AM
The only problem I have had so far is the first start up problem.

The same thing for me, pull the choke, hit the starter button, fires right up. If it dies, it takes me a few minutes to get it started. Now if Im out riding around and say I turn it off, or I magically stall, it will fire right up when its been running.

Roper76
03-25-2007, 01:26 PM
just went out this morrning to go rip it up and I started up the quad, laid the ramp on the tailgait and I heard the thing quit,Ive been trying to get it started for about 2 hrs, now it time to make my own wiring harness and new injecters and powercommander!!!!

dukeboy
03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
starting of course

and all the bolts in my sub frame that hold the plastic on seem to be striped

quadrider
03-25-2007, 04:25 PM
after it dies when started are you guys turning the key back off then on to let the fuel pump pressurize. that was the only way with the old cannondale. just a thought

GE4x4
03-25-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree with quadrider. When I had the KQ700efi, I put it on it's side and it stalled. I kept trying to start it and it would not fire. I turned the key off, then back on and it fired right up. It's worth a try.

bustedknuckle
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
rember its injected.our dealer said turn on key listen for pump to stop.then hit button.tet it idle before touching throttle. we had to choke if it sat for long time.also the motor is tight it will take around nine hrs of run time before it loosens up.ours is starting good after six ours.no other problems...

Roper76
03-25-2007, 07:14 PM
I ve already had it for over 2 weeks, and this morrning when I woke up my garage floor had a **** ton of moister on the floor and when I looked a the side of the motor, the cylinder and head had a bunch of moister on it also. After it quit I pulled the plug and there was water on the top of the piston, so I had no spark, now some stupid cencer wont let it start, OFF TO THE DEALER IT GOES.

casey88
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
i have over 10 hours on mine and now it starts up everytime . just give it time

chipworkz
03-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by quadrider
after it dies when started are you guys turning the key back off then on to let the fuel pump pressurize. that was the only way with the old cannondale. just a thought

Thanks for the suggestion but that is one of the things I have tried several times. The only thing that seems to work is if it dies, wait about 30 seconds before trying to start it.

As feature05 said it does seem to start better after it is warm from riding. Lets hope they all end up like casey88 said.

feature05
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Well today I finally got 10 hours on mine. Honestly I had no starting problems today. It fired right up, I let in run for a couple of minutes, turned it off, and it fired right back up. ( I was so happy.) Then the rest of the day I had absolutely no problems with anything. But I did manage to loose one of those little screws that holds on the fairings. Oh well. Tomorrow its time for the oil change and routine nuts and bolts check.

soilworker
03-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Once they are broke in they will start instantly every time, no matter how hot they are. I found this out recently at the Kaw press conference. Just give it time.

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
A guy at the race today was having battery troubles.:confused: He had to be pulled started.

quadnice
03-27-2007, 09:28 PM
I picked mine up Sat 3-24-07
Rode about 2 - 2.5 hours on Sun. pretty hard, testing setup's.
Noticed outer tie rod was a little loose, tightened it.
&
Now I have a little slop in the stem @ the lower / frame mount bushing. :mad:

Oh well, I'll have to race it this weekend the way it is, & hopefully get / find a new bushing soon.

DanW
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by quadnice
I picked mine up Sat 3-24-07
Rode about 2 - 2.5 hours on Sun. pretty hard, testing setup's.
Noticed outer tie rod was a little loose, tightened it.
&
Now I have a little slop in the stem @ the lower / frame mount bushing. :mad:

Oh well, I'll have to race it this weekend the way it is, & hopefully get / find a new bushing soon.

Loose is fast... :p

KiKxKFX
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
I picked mine up on 3-24-07 as well.. so far no problems, but I have very little time on it.

bigbadbubba
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
glad i got my ltr... you guys seem to be having alot of problems

troutman561
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Yea the ltr didn't have any problems the first year...

yamadjs08
03-29-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbubba

Originally posted by troutman561
Yea the ltr didn't have any problems the first year...
LMAO! :D :D :D

I love internet sarcasm! And clueless owners...

Oh and I personally don't think there are any major problems with the new Kawi, just sounds like quality control to me. If I bought one, I would strip it down and put it back together making sure everything torqued down and put together right. But simple things like that are surely more of a problem than recalled frames and whining trannies...:o

chipworkz
03-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Everyone has a right to their own opinion but you should at least read the thread before commenting on it. There have only been a few problems reported. The most common problem (hard starting) corrects itself from what everyone is reporting. The only major problem is the missing shifter bearing from one report. Time will tell if any big issues will come up or not.
Just because I sat on the LTR and didn’t like how it felt compared to the KFX, doesn’t give me enough knowledge about it to form a real opinion on how good or bad it is.
Opinions are great if they are based on some knowledge.
;)

soilworker
03-30-2007, 12:37 AM
I haven't seen any problems yet myself or heard of any. The hard starting was a pain in the *** for the first hour or so. Now it fires right up all the time. Just needs to be broken in first.

I've been hearing problems w/the engine case castings cracking on the 07 LTR's though. And quite a few having one of the gears in the trans welding itself together.

CannondaleRider
03-30-2007, 01:08 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/butters2000/LTRCASES_007s.jpg

This is an 07 case out of a precious LT-R.....And its not a one time deal. Quite a few have had this problem, including Gust and Wimmer;)

slvrhwk
03-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Broke the lower right front bumper bracket off the frame during an impact. So far that's it other than the stock rear skid plate which is to be expected.

DanW
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Ignore this guy. He seems to go to every forum and dog everything that he doesn't own. Pretty gay... :blah:

bigbadbubba
03-30-2007, 04:19 PM
never heard of your before /\ up there.. how do you know me???

o and... thats due to the shift pin if im not mistaken witch they make prevenitive measures that will prevent this from happening... this was taken into acount very quickly... and you can buy the fix or use it as a fix if that happens before you own the part.

Luecker
03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Actually, if you read the info from ATP racing, Suzuki changed the cases for 2007 to get rid of the shift pin problem and instead created a bigger problem.

The cases only crack with the 60 hp/ almos 40 ft lbs torque race engines. ATP already has a fix for this issue.

I persoally like the new Kawi but I like all the aftermarket parts to be available for a quad when I buy it. Wasn't going to wait a year longer to buy a 450. Also I have a fantastic Suzuki dealer only 10 miles from me which keeps me riding suzuki.

The lower a-arm mounts worry me a bit on the Kawi and we will have to wait about 6 months to see what other issues if any come up.

dist5mxer
03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
for your starting problem.. you have to let the fuel pump run before starting it or it wont want to start..esp. if you stall it and try to restart

prey2none
04-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
A guy at the race today was having battery troubles.:confused: He had to be pulled started.

I feel so stupid about that, it was my fault I grabbed my YZ gas can and not my YFZ can and didn't find out until the day before the race. I drained the bad gas but obviosly didn't get it all out. It finally cleaned it self out with some good 93 octane and hard running. I had run the battery down trying to get it to start but after it charged, I stalled it twice during the race and it started right away. So things are back to normal now. It doesn't start as fast as my YFZ but we are working on it.:o

Xater
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
pre -mix gas will work in a 4-stroke. you just have to keep on the gas. ;)

250r4life
04-03-2007, 10:24 AM

oh the irony in that statement...

crackers
04-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Lets see I got mine about 2 and a half weeks ago. Had a bit of the hard starting bug but after about 10 hours on it it seems fine.

One problem I had last weekend is I hit a jump and hard to get on the breaks quick to avoid the treeline and reverse stopped working.

I am going to assume it is just an adjustment as the parking brake also needs adjusting. It is going in tonight for its checkup so we will see.

Will keep you updated.

SpeedBump
04-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Got it...ran it HARD....broke a piece off the swingarms skidplate...changed oil...ran it HARD some more. Got about 5 tanks of gas ran thru now. No problems with anything loose, No starting issues from the very first minute. Fired up quick each time. Gotta remember NOT to touch the throttle...very hard to get used to coming from my Tecate 4 2 stroke. Been a LONG time since I have owned an electric start ATV. I actually am surprised how much I have beat on this thing. It just feels like it wants to RUN HARD!!! :D I just figure I want to find out what is gonna be weak and break BEFORE the warrantee expires! Happy owner so far...knocking on my desk!:devil:

crackers
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by crackers
Lets see I got mine about 2 and a half weeks ago. Had a bit of the hard starting bug but after about 10 hours on it it seems fine.

One problem I had last weekend is I hit a jump and hard to get on the breaks quick to avoid the treeline and reverse stopped working.

I am going to assume it is just an adjustment as the parking brake also needs adjusting. It is going in tonight for its checkup so we will see.

Will keep you updated.
Got it back from the dealer for the 10 hour and Reverse and Parking were simple adjustments as I thought (would have adjusted them myself but it was going in anyway).

Didn't get to ride this weekend but that will mean a beat down next weekend is in order.