PDA

View Full Version : Scuba

Scott-300ex
03-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Anyone here into scuba diving?

I'm thinkin about taking a class, its like $550 2 weekends, 1st bookwork, 2nd Open water.

You get fins, mask and pretty much everythin but the tanks are yours, then you rent the tanks.

There is a place Right by where I ride at St. Joe State Park, called Bonne Terre Mines, like 10 minutes from St. Joe, and the mines got flooded a long time ago, and all the equiptment is still down there under like 300 feet of water, cuz the whole area of Bonne Terre and even St. Joe under all of that ground is a Lake, like under 3 towns or more.

So I'd love to go swim down there and check it all out, the flooded mine, my friends dad does it and sais its cold but I've swam in like 20 degree water on a float trip, it sleeted twice that day, and It wasn't frozen cuz it was a river, that means it is constanly moving.

So anyone into it, got pictures, advice or stories?

300EXrider356
03-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I scuba, It's alot of fun, I mostly dive in the carribean, never any lakes. To get certified it's real easy, the test isn't that hard. I would say that the most important thing is having a good instructer that knows what hes doing incase you freak out. Also, you might want to invest in a wet suit, because when you jump into ice water, its not that bad laugh ahahaha fun, but when your in it for up to 45 minutes doing a dive, you will get hypothermia. Also, you not going to be able to go down to 300 ft, thats what the navy guys dive at, It would take a crap ton of training to be able to reach that depth, diving with nitrox (nitrogen enriched oxygen) But, you could probably go down to 140 tops with regular air, although i wouldnt recomend it on your first go. Other than that, it's a blast, its like being on another world with no gravity.

Sorry for the long post I just thought I would inform you.