PDA

View Full Version : Stock a-arms compared to aftermarket??

GE4x4
03-24-2007, 06:05 PM
How much advantage is there between stock a arms and fully adjustable aftermarket? So if 2 equal riders were racing XC, but one was stock and the other wasn't, how much advantage would the non stock guy have. I see many at the races, and most have new a-arms from all makes. So do they make that much of a difference, or is it more show then go.

esr250r86
03-24-2007, 06:12 PM
No, aftermarket is a total night and day difference. The handling is much better because you can adjust it to your specs and additions like long travel gives you more travel and a smoother ride unlike stock which is also not bad at all but aftermarket just lets you fine tune things to your type of riding,weight,etc.

XtremelyCrazy
03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I ride XC and have +1 a-arms.

Much more stable ride. I can corner faster cuz the quad doesn't bicycle nearly as much.

I don't know that teh adjustability really matters all that much. But then, I don't race either.

nicker71
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Also much stronger than stock. And all part are replaceable. I wasted my fronts in 4 races last year

esr250r86
03-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot strength too.

wilkin250r
03-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Many GNCC racers use +1 arms, but then use rims that have an inch less offset than stock, and it brings the total width back close to stock.

The wider a-arms improve stability, add adjustability in areas the stock arms don't have, often have designs that improve ground clearance, and are much stronger than stock. Also, the reduced wheel offset will reduce the force feedback through the bars, making the quad easier to handle.