PDA

View Full Version : resleve or new cylinder

nallen
03-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Just a quick question for you all. I've never had any experience with big bore cylinders or resleving the stock one. I'd like to move up to a 310 cylinder and it would be much cheaper to resleve with a L.A. Sleve than buy a whole new cylinder. But if the new cylinder is worth the money that than what i need to know. I guess i'm just looking for pro's and con's. thanks

TheFontMaster
03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm doing a compleate rebuild on my 250r motor, and the cylinder needs a re-sleeve anyway, so I'm going to put in the 310 re sleeve. It's just a little more money than a stock rebuild, and I get the benefits of a 310. If the machine work is done right, I can't say that I haven't heard of any down sides to doing this.

garrettagr
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I think that he is right, if you do it right then you should be ok. But if you just get someone to throw it together then it could leave you walking somewhere. Just be sure to do your homework when you are doing that.

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm not too keen on the big-bore resleeves. Sure, lots of people have had success, but I've seen many problems with them.

Sometimes the problems were the sleeves dropping out, which can happen on any resleeve, whether it be big-bore or stock. But the 310 resleeves just seem to have more problems than normal. When you bore the jug out, the head studs get weakened a little. Combine this with the fact that most racers also get the stock head milled and rechambered for higher compression (because it's cheaper than going with an aftermarket head), the 310 resleeves just seem to leak a lot.

I've heard of very few problems with the complete aftermarket cylinders like Pro-X. Not only are they more reliable, but they also have improved port layouts.

Like I said, many people have had success with the big-bore resleeves, so I'm not going to say DON'T do it, just be aware of what you are getting into. If you do, I would certainly suggest the extra money to go with an aftermarket head (like the Cool Head). It gives you adjustable compression options, and they seem to leak less.