PDA

View Full Version : radiator problems

rea
03-24-2007, 08:55 AM
My buddy is having over heating problems and has no res on his radiator when we hooked one up that stopped the over heating.Im confused cause fluid shouldnt be able to get past the cap to the overflow.But it kinda makes sense because its now a circulating system.Im just not sure if a new radiator is in order or what a new cap didnt fix the problem.I run no res on my radiator and its always been fine.Does anyone have any suggestions

Brett250R
03-25-2007, 12:38 AM
if your cooling system is in working order there should be no reason to take off the resivoir. and coolant can get past the cap, when a certain pressure is reached that spring gets pushed up and the excess coolant goes into the tank.with my 310 i have no overheating problems

-Brett-

garrettagr
03-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Remember, when you take that off, all of the excess fluid that might go in there is lost. In a system that has one on it, some of that fluid is drawn back into the radiator (i think) and when you dont have an overflow, that fluid is lost and your level goes down.

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 09:30 PM
A lot of racers used to take off the overflow bottle and route the line over their pipe. The steam would alert the rider of the overheating problem.

Yes, fluid does get past the cap. The radiator can only hold so much pressure, and when your motor overheats, it causes more pressure than the radiator can hold. The cap lets some of that pressure off by allowing hot fluid and steam to escape.

First and foremost, your buddy needs to find out why his quad is overheating. The overflow bottle is a backup, it only catches the fluid if it DOES overheat. Ideally, it shouldn't be overheating, so you shouldn't actually need the overflow bottle.

Brett250R
03-26-2007, 10:10 PM
this is very true. thats why guys who RACE take off their tank becuase they are checking it after every race

-Brett-