PDA

View Full Version : POP Start 250ex?

websterjody
10-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Is it possible to pop start a 250ex and how?

I was out riding the other night with a buddy (thankfully he was with me) and I wired up some lights that drained my battery. I had to jump start my quad from his.

Can a 250ex be pop started? I would like to know because if this happens while I am out by myself I could be in for a long push.

yes, I know I should not ride by myself and not use the lights I hooked up anymore because they drained my battery.

Dusty
10-09-2002, 05:10 PM
yes you should be able to pop start, and the way i feel, all quads should have a pull start.
Brian

bradley300
10-09-2002, 10:59 PM
its easy, you know how the tranny wont actually shift untilthe lever has been pulled up and dropped? just hold the shifter up (between 2and3) and when you have a descent amount of speed, slip your foot out from underneath the lever and give it gas. works like a charm, the worst part is pushing it up the hill to get started. my 300ex will roll start with less than 10 feet of hill so you shouldnt need to push to far.

Z-King
10-10-2002, 12:19 AM
if u are talking abought push starting it i dont think that is good for a centrifical clutch

bradley300
10-10-2002, 07:08 AM
its not, but if yuour in a bind its all you can do.

UglyMotha™
10-10-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 250ex-cellent
if u are talking abought push starting it i dont think that is good for a centrifical clutch

:huh what the 250 doesn't have a centrifical clutch thats what you would find on a polaris or your typical snowmobile the 250 has a clutch just like the 300 and 400 it has clutch plates too the only difference is the enganging mechinism and the size of the plates and the numbers blah blah blah and no it won't hurt the 250 to pop start it that's like saying you'll hurt it if you ride it down a hill in 1st gear

toby400ex
10-10-2002, 07:37 AM
when i had a recon i tried pop starting it but it wouldnt work, i think it has something to do with the fact that it has to be in nuetral to start and you would have to use 3rd to pop start it, i dunno thats just what happened to me. But luckily the pull start worked after a few minutes of letting it sit, why didnt honda keep the pull start on something with out a manual clutch:p :(

Wingnut
10-10-2002, 08:24 AM
If the 250EX is like the Recon, it has to be started in neutral. Is it? If so the what I did with my Recon was I would get in third or forth and hold the shift lever up. Once moving you can let the lever down. If you hear the engine turning over then shift down into neurtal as fast as you can, and it should start once you hit neutral. If the engine does not turn over (the wheels don't turn) then stop while you still have plenty of hill left and try again with a higher gear.

MIKE400EX
10-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Like Bradley300 said, just hold the lever up, push/let it roll and then let the lever down just like you would let a clutch lever out. If the ignition key and kill switches are on, it'll start. I just tried it with my wife's 250EX to be sure.

RideRed04
10-10-2002, 11:00 PM
the 250ex does have a centrifical clutch. You are thinking a cvt tranny, it isnt the same thing. I would get more indepth on how it all works, but I am tired, so maybe tomorrow.

LAKOTARIDEr
10-11-2002, 03:11 PM
my brother has a 250ex and he pop started it the other day.

Houser Cannondale
10-11-2002, 03:24 PM
doesent 250ex have pull start like the recon?

10-11-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by kennyG300ex
doesent 250ex have pull start like the recon?

i dont think it does

ridered86
10-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Dusty
yes you should be able to pop start, and the way i feel, all quads should have a pull start.
Brian

man that just what i want, a nice pos lookin black handle hangin outta my crankcase:huh j/k ... lol

UglyMotha™
10-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
the 250ex does have a centrifical clutch. You are thinking a cvt tranny, it isnt the same thing. I would get more indepth on how it all works, but I am tired, so maybe tomorrow.

it's not a centrifical clutch and no i wasnt' thinking of a cvt tranny:grr

400exJOE
10-11-2002, 10:02 PM
you can do it. i have done it plenty of times on a foreman 400 4x4 so can deffinatly do it on a 250ex. All ya gotta do is get it rolling and be inbetween 2nd and 3rd, then when it starts to run down**** quickly into neutral. as simple as that!

Bean
10-11-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ridered86

man that just what i want, a nice pos lookin black handle hangin outta my crankcase:huh j/k ... lol

that handle can really be helpfull sometimes

Castor-426ex
10-11-2002, 11:41 PM
you still havent got that thing started yet?:D

UglyMotha™
10-12-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by RideRed04

Remeber the honda odyssey (sp*) well anyways it had a centrifical clutch and if you "Click Here" (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/9789/clutch.html) you will find a description even an dummy can understand and some diagrams of a centrifical clutch last i checked those arn't found in the 250

Leo
10-12-2002, 07:01 AM
the 250ex does have a centrifigul clutch..

there are 2 clutches as a matter of fact 1 that disengages the motor when you shift (similar to the manual clutch in a sport quad, only hooked to the shift lever not a lever on the bars)

-and-

a centrifugal clutch that only engages the motor above a certain RPM.. that's what disenages the motor from the tranny when your not moving (if it didn't the bike would stall)..

really all it is are 3 little shoes that are spring loaded.. when the motor spins fast enough they kick out and engage with a drum. (kind of like the lilttle clutches they put on go-karts.

It's not a CVT type variable clutch setup though (ala polaris).

Leo

Leo
10-12-2002, 07:11 AM
here's a pic of the two clutches on a 01 250EX

Leo

RideRed04
10-13-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Leo
the 250ex does have a centrifigul clutch..

there are 2 clutches as a matter of fact 1 that disengages the motor when you shift (similar to the manual clutch in a sport quad, only hooked to the shift lever not a lever on the bars)

-and-

a centrifugal clutch that only engages the motor above a certain RPM.. that's what disenages the motor from the tranny when your not moving (if it didn't the bike would stall)..

really all it is are 3 little shoes that are spring loaded.. when the motor spins fast enough they kick out and engage with a drum. (kind of like the lilttle clutches they put on go-karts.

It's not a CVT type variable clutch setup though (ala polaris).

Leo

Yes, exactly what I planned to type before I fell asleep on the keyboard:D