PDA

View Full Version : o-ringed head ?

custom R
03-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Where is the best place to buy an o-ringed head im sick of head gaskets I have a cylinder that im having a hard time getting to seal up

I had a brand new oem cyl I sent it to C-Leigh to get ported and polished and boared out 1 size I put it together with a cr gasket and a 19cc dome in my cool head broke it in one weekend went to the track the following weekend it ran great I was cleaning it up sunday and noticed a little antifreeze leaking out of the front of the cyl so I put in a new trx gasket in started it up and it leaked worse so I put in a new gasket with three bond 1211 on it and no more leak on the outside but now its leaking in the cly so I grabbed my stock head and my last gasket still leaking I give up shortly after that

Do O-ringed heads seal up better than a gasket The funny thing is it sealed up better with a cr gasket than a k n s trx gasket maybe the gaslets were bad I donk know

trailwart
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
anything warped.

deathman53
03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
maybe its the head, those can warp.

dirt mcgirt
03-23-2007, 11:14 PM
are the studs in all the way?

custom R
03-24-2007, 02:38 AM
the studs are in all the way and I've tried two different heads and they both leaked on the back half of the piston on the reed side I took a straight edge and checked the top of the cyl and everything looked flat ,I dont get it ?? the gaskets seemed kinda cheap looking they were k&s gaskets do you think an o-ringed head would be better I dont mind spending the money if its going to seal better Im pretty big on maint. so I dont mind replacing the o-rings every few rides If I have to

deathman53
03-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I never had problems with a oem head gasket. Another thing, you can't reuse head gaskets. Get a 85 atc250r head gasket, spray cooper coat on it and let it sit, till it get tacky, then install it. As for the head, take it to a machine shop for them to check if its warped and have them plane it flat. Also, if you don't torque the bolts evenly and in a cross pattern, you can warp the head, blowing the head gasket. 22 lb/foot and use a quality torque wrench.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Pro Design has a head for the stock 250R cylinder with o ring sealing & pretty sure ESR has one as well.
Suspect that head is probably warped.
Get you a piece of wet & dry sand paper & a real flat surface & sand the gasket surface of the head. The sanding will show the high places on the head & not touch the low spots.

18 to 21 ft lbs is all you need to torque those head cap nut.
Neil

number5
03-29-2007, 06:02 PM
I had problems with my head leaking. I took the studs off the cylinder and wet sand it on a piece of glass on a table in figure 8s. Did the same with the head and no more leaks. Oh I used the copper spray too.

custom R
04-03-2007, 09:53 PM
I tried two different heads that worked perfect on my old cyl using a new gasket every time once dry once with three bond and once with copper spray mixed results with each. I dont know the best I can figure is the gaskets I used were junk or my t wrench was off but I ended up getting a PSI dial a dome o ringed head from a guy at work that started to build an R but never finished it its a brand new head looks like a nice head I'll post some picks of it

How do you keep the rings in the grooves when you go to put it on I just got back from vacation so I havent had a chance to mess with it yet

anyone ever use one of these dial a dome heads from psi

custom R
04-03-2007, 09:55 PM
another