PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Riding

The Great
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Does anyone here mountain bike ride like serious ride not like leisure old people stuff? Ive always had like a 2003 kawasaki mountain bike but never used it but recently my friend got me into it. But i live in florida so no real trails or anything like hilly. But what do i really need to ride? i mean i know i need bike of course and me but helmet good idea? Anything i might need to know not planning on racing but still like to go fast/high/rough terrain thanks.

smartypants
03-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by The Great
Does anyone here mountain bike ride like serious ride not like leisure old people stuff? Ive always had like a 2003 kawasaki mountain bike but never used it but recently my friend got me into it. But i live in florida so no real trails or anything like hilly. But what do i really need to ride? i mean i know i need bike of course and me but helmet good idea? Anything i might need to know not planning on racing but still like to go fast/high/rough terrain thanks.

Go to a local bike shop and buy a good bike not a wally world type. Cheapest bike you want to take on the trails and not break in half will run you $600 minimum. Disk brakes are a must have I think. Do lots of reading and test rides before your purchase. www.bikeforums.net is a good start for learning what you might need.

Here's a pic of my Trek from this past weekends race.. I bought it for $550, got hooked on biking and dropped another $1,500 in the last year....:huh I'll be on a new full suspension frame next year.

http://www.kymba.org/kymba/images/photoalbum/6/DSC01154.jpg

shano
03-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Yea I mountain bike... dirtjump and street riding. I also love to downhill but I dont have a downhill bike. I have a KHS dirtjumper 2. Good idea to have a good reliable bike and wear gloves and a helmet helps... also shin pads help from pedal slippage... I got scars from that haha

pic
http://photo.pinkbike.com/photo/1009/pbpic1009907.jpg

deathman53
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I used to mountain bike, Spd recessed clipless pedal help alot, you have to twist your foot for them to come off the pedals and you use more muscle of your legs. Once you get used to them, you can't ride without them. My last bike I bought was in 98, trek y22, its cost somewhere around $1600. Wear a helmet when you ride too, it doesn't take much to get seriously hurt. Read up on tips for braking, many people think the rear brakes are the only ones to use, your front brakes are 80% of your stopping power, if you lock up the rears, you will only slide and lose control. Its takes a technic to effectivly use the front brakes mainly and not endo, weight placement and balancing of the front and rear brakes make for very fast stops and well controlled.

After you get a good bike, ask some the people to show you the techniges for bunny hopping, wheelies, jumping logs, crossing streams and braking, most importantly. Weight placement has a big place on going uphill, down hill, and obsticles.

1fst400
03-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Last summer I lost my licence and rode my Garry Fishire marlin mountian bike alot. It has a Rock shock front shock and no rear shock. I wouldent buy one with out a front shock, its real nice over choppy sections. But a bike with full suspention seems to spungy.

I probly put 500 miles on in the time I lost my licence. I wore them tires doun prety fast. Kept me in great shape to.

I got prety good a wheelies, But my feet would slip off the petals when I tried to shift my weight. I thot about a clipless set up, but never got that into it.

MOFO
03-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by smartypants
Go to a local bike shop and buy a good bike not a wally world type. Cheapest bike you want to take on the trails and not break in half will run you $600 minimum. Disk brakes are a must have I think. Do lots of reading and test rides before your purchase. www.bikeforums.net is a good start for learning what you might need.

Here's a pic of my Trek from this past weekends race.. I bought it for $550, got hooked on biking and dropped another $1,500 in the last year....:huh I'll be on a new full suspension frame next year.

http://www.kymba.org/kymba/images/photoalbum/6/DSC01154.jpg

Whats up Rico - nice bike! I've got a 4500 and need a new saddle. The stock one hurts my arse! Any recommendations?

mx428
03-24-2007, 10:36 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/Alloymx428/MTB/IMG_1166.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/Alloymx428/MTB/IMG_1169.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/Alloymx428/MTB/IMG_1171.jpg

trek stp300 with aloooot of $$ tied up in it. I like my soft tail better then a full suspension bike personally, but alot of people didnt want to pay a couple grand for a bike that wasnt fully suspended, i think thats why they dont make them anymore. But get a helmet for sure and a bike. You can find a pretty decent bike for around $1000. The just go online and find the riding areas around you. In PA there's lot's of really good spots to ride. I think theres a website where it has everywhere listed like by state and skill level. I'll try to find it.

smartypants
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Whats up Rico - nice bike! I've got a 4500 and need a new saddle. The stock one hurts my arse! Any recommendations?

Whats up VWVR6....;)

WTB makes the best seats I think and so do a lot of others. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. Padded pants help a ton and I don't mean just the spandex type. I have Fox biking pants with a liner and built in *** padding...:o The stock seat on mine had more padding than the current but it was too much padding and was too bulky feeling on long rides. The new seat is more comfortable to sit on but has taken time to soften up.

As mentioned clipless pedals make ALL the difference in the world when riding. wrecks can get ugly if you don't get your feet out in time but that's another story.

MOFO
03-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by smartypants
Whats up VWVR6....;)

WTB makes the best seats I think and so do a lot of others. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for. Padded pants help a ton and I don't mean just the spandex type. I have Fox biking pants with a liner and built in *** padding...:o The stock seat on mine had more padding than the current but it was too much padding and was too bulky feeling on long rides. The new seat is more comfortable to sit on but has taken time to soften up.

As mentioned clipless pedals make ALL the difference in the world when riding. wrecks can get ugly if you don't get your feet out in time but that's another story.

Thanks - I've been looking at those and they seem to get pretty good reviews.

BTW, its now VW18T. ;)