PDA

View Full Version : Broke my frame weld it or get a new one?

trickedyfz
03-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I was cleaning my yfz 450 and i noticed i broke my main frame completly. I am not sure when i did this i have an idea but not for positive. I don't know if i should try welding it or get a new one. i am going to check with my insurance comany about buying new one and if they will cover it. race season is around the corner also.i was just wondering if i should try to weld it?

Bill Fuller
03-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Without pics it's hard to say but I would imagine you could get away with re-welding.

nicker71
03-23-2007, 03:02 PM
just weld it and gussett the rest of the frame.

Splatter Matter
03-23-2007, 04:07 PM
dont tell you insurance comany you race they might not cover it

trickedyfz
03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I was also wondering how much a gusset kit was and if there was a certain brand or what i am new at this frame **** i have always had 400 ex's and rode woods and just now getting in to raceing and jumping. Now that i am jumping i obviously break frames...i was just wondering some more info on gusset kits.

STEVENJANNA
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by trickedyfz
I was also wondering how much a gusset kit was and if there was a certain brand or what i am new at this frame **** i have always had 400 ex's and rode woods and just now getting in to raceing and jumping. Now that i am jumping i obviously break frames...i was just wondering some more info on gusset kits.
Any kit will work but the Walsh kit is the most complete. I raced the second half of last season on a welded frame with no issues. Where is your frame cracked (on the back down tube between the lower sub frame mount and the pivot bolt?).

STEVENJANNA
03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
picture of mine

hoser 400ex
03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
mine broke completely off there last year. we slipped a piece of moly tubing in, plug welded that in. then welded up the break. nice and strong. checked the rest of my frame and found 4 other cracks. so we stripped it down and gusseted it as well.

jshtex
03-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Everyone should check their frames for cracking / breaking there. it is kind of hidden by the plastic. Last year after seeing a pic on the net of someones frame that had broken on both sides i check ours and ones side was broken all the way and the other cracked about half way around.

kendog57
03-30-2007, 07:25 AM
the first thing i did when i brought my yfz is tear it down and gusseted it. no cracks to this day. any atv that is getting raced should be gusseted unless you ride for the factory. if you havev't done it get the gusseted done and you should be find.

Fred55
04-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I was just taking my plastics off to wash mine and i noticed i had a crack on each side just above of the subframe mounts....this frame has been gusseted with a rath gusset kit and only rode 5 times since. I do not know what caused it, my rear shock is a tad soft but it seems like the force would come from the subframe, but anyways i think i did see it soon enough to get it welded...i just done like the idea of having to mess up my powdercoat...

jshtex
04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
I do not know what caused it, my rear shock is a tad soft but it seems like the force would come from the subframe

Ours cracked at some point after having the rear shock revalved and putting on a Houser rear link. This also resulted in a much softer rear suspension.

I don't know for sure what causes it but i have seen a few that are cracked or broken all the way thru.

Fred55
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM
well here is a picture of where it is cracked...the other side is like this also...

STEVENJANNA
04-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Is that a crack or did the powder coating just split at the weld?

Fred55
04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I beleive it is a crack, it is quite small though so i think i caught it early enought that it can be fixed without any further problems.

mxraptor149
04-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Tarantula Performance Racing sells a complete gusset kit for the YFZ as well. To strip the frame, weld any cracks, gusset it and powdercoat it (your choice) runs around $500.

www.tprusa.com/default

Fred55
04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Well mines already been welded and gusseted where it broke..i also made my own subframe supports to help spread out the load..

Fred55
04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
another

LRD450R
04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
You probably get away with welding it but You better get a good wekder or it will break