PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs UNI ???

TurboScooter
03-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Ok i just want to hear what everyone thinks about what air filter is better? I personally got a K&N on my 05, and noticed a difference right when i put it on. havent tried the UNI but i keep hearing people that swear by them. what do you all think???

QuadJunkies
03-23-2007, 01:07 AM
You will get alot of mixed reviews on this ,but WE personally prefer the K&N.
NEVER,EVER have we encountered abit of dirt and seem to get a little better performance with them .
I guess alot will have to do with what kind of riding every does as well as we do not ride in alot of mud here.

Did they ever come out with a K&N for the 06 yet?
Last time I asked they had some patent pending on the 06 of a certain period of time before they could release one.
We run both filters on our minis .

TurboScooter
03-23-2007, 01:48 AM
hey thanks man. ya ive had my K&N on for a few rides. once at the dunes and it seems to be doing fine. dosent even look that dirty, almost brand new. i keep my lid on to so im sure that helps with the dirt.

450rRacer22
03-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I personally will never run a K&N ever again. i cleaned my K&N after every ride but it just let to much dirt through and ended up frying my valves. then i needed to use my K&N for about an hour cuz my other filter was drying, so i was riding with the K&N and when i was done riding i noticed the bracket that holds it on in the back snapped right off and my filter was just laying in my airbox. i'll never run one ever again, only filters i will run are the uni.

450ERRRRRR!
03-23-2007, 08:11 AM
I ordered a Prodesign with a UNI filter but they sent me one with a K&N filter. I thought I see for my self. I oiled it up real good and installed it with an outwears cover and a cover over the airbox lid for extra protection. After a ride in a local sand area I pulled off the filter and inside the intake was SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont say I didnt intall or oil it right. These things are great for the street but forget it on sand and dusty trails. There's no way that thin little filter can catch as much as a UNI with a outwear cover. It's about 3 inches thicker and full of sticky oil. I can hold up a K&N to the light and see all kinds of little holes that let in dirt.
Be safe and use only a UNI-filter.

ATC_KING
03-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I love my K&N its the best i would never go with UNI i never heard of that stuff with K&N that to bad

450ERRRRRR!
03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
If you have never heard of this problem then do a search on any atv site and it will come up with it.

speedfreaksguy
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Not this again...

UNI!

ShiftFMX
03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
I believe that K&N is a great filter, but only for street, I have one in my truck. I had one on my quad and saw too much dust and dirt particles stuck to the inside of intake boot. I switched to UNI and haven't had a problem since

400exrider707
03-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Search this....

Heres an easy way to look at it....

You can only get more air in two ways... Bigger holes in the filter, or a bigger filter.

K&N uses bigger holes, thus slightly more power, but also some extra stuff (dirt)

UNI uses a bigger filter...

It has already been proven through independent tests that the K&N flows more air, and also slightly more dirt particulates.

ratso
03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
I believe that K&N is a great filter, but only for street, I have one in my truck. I had one on my quad and saw too much dust and dirt particles stuck to the inside of intake boot. I switched to UNI and haven't had a problem since

K&N definenately belongs on the street! They flow good but alot of dust and fine sand goes right into your engine. I read on another chat board where oil was analized and the k&n filter was allowing much more than just air in. UNI is great also TWIN AIR your cyclinder walls will be :p

400excracer
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
I ordered a Prodesign with a UNI filter but they sent me one with a K&N filter. I thought I see for my self. I oiled it up real good and installed it with an outwears cover and a cover over the airbox lid for extra protection. After a ride in a local sand area I pulled off the filter and inside the intake was SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dont say I didnt intall or oil it right. These things are great for the street but forget it on sand and dusty trails. There's no way that thin little filter can catch as much as a UNI with a outwear cover. It's about 3 inches thicker and full of sticky oil. I can hold up a K&N to the light and see all kinds of little holes that let in dirt.
Be safe and use only a UNI-filter. i have been using K&N Filters for 10 years and havent had any problems. sounds like you installed it incorrectly.
Check out the new Velocity Filters. They are similar to the K&N, but the end cap is also filter area and they use a different gauze material that is thicker. Nice stuff.

sandmanblue
03-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Just because the K&N's show higher flow numbers on an airflow bench does NOT in any way shape or form mean that they make more power. If your motor doesn't need the extra flow - then it is useless, other than a way to market their product. If more flow always meant more power, then our air filters would be HUGE!!

I've had two K&N's on two different atv's. The first, I bought myself and the second, I bought the atv with the K&N in it.

THEY ALLOW DIRT IN! If you ride in dusty or sandy conditions with the lid off, you WILL get more dirt into the motor. There is no debate here. You can see right through the filter... HELLO??? Which part of "you can see through it" means that it is filtering the air????

I've owned over 20 different bikes/quads and would never use anything except oiled foam again.

And as for "installing them correctly" it's not rocket science. If installation was the problem, then I would have had problems with foam once in a while too - but I never have.

quader400
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
i ran kandn on my 400ex but wont run it on my 450. im going uni now. the kandn i would always find dirt and grim on the inside of my airboot and for anyone say wrong instalation or something check you intake boot if your runninig a kandn and i garuntee you you will find dirt and grim in it.

450ERRRRRR!
03-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Let's see, You say I must have installed it incorrectly. I just knew that was coming. Good God man, other than not putting enough oil on it tell me just what else a person could get wrong. Let's see I tried to mount the closed off end to the intake but it would not quite fit so I got out the 5 pound sledge hammer and drove it in , NOW it fits!:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

MossboysRacing
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
before i knew better, i put on a k&n on my warrior, 250r, and 250x. 3 top ends on the 250r, 1 on the warrior and 250x due to dirt getting past the filter (im a mechanic and can correctly install a atv air filter). put on all uni's and never had a problem since. i believe the extra like 1 1/2 peak hp you get with a k&n isnt worth the damage to the engine. if you cant install a air filter correctly you shouldnt own a atv because you are an idiot. :macho

esr250r86
03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I like uni's because they are cheap and are easily washed and cleaned.

QuadJunkies
03-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
if you cant install a air filter correctly you shouldnt own a atv because you are an idiot. :macho

WEll then we OBVIOSULY know how to install a filter,we dont get ANY in our filtersand my motor is clean as a whistle...:rolleyes:

BTW.. Im running 5 years STRONG

NO DIRT... NO SAND..
WE DO run an outerwear.

KrazyKeith
03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
My opinion.....k&n sucks for dirtbikes and quads. everything negative said here about them is true. I have one in my streetbike and would not use anything else. I ride in the coal dust on the coal hills and that has to be the most severe conditions possible on an air filter. I had a stock filter on my quad and never saw any dirt in the boot. When I switched to the Uni I had dirt in the boot. I kept using it just oiled it more and still had dirt entering. Eventually my ti intake valves were toast. Never again will I use either one of these filters. Now I am not saying uni is junk or k&n junk but for riding in severely dusty conditions neither works as good as the stock filter or the no toil that I use now. Neither one of them let any dust in. If you are lookin for a good filter check out the No Toil in my opinion it is better than a uni by far.

chipworkz
03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I own two K & N filters for my ON road vehicles but I don't think I would by another one. Take a look at this test and decide for yourself.

Filter Test (http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm)

KrazyKeith
03-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Too bad those tests arent for the quad filters but that is good to see considering everybody thinking their uni filters are so good. Maybe the quad filters are better but I don't think so. My uni let in all kinds of dirt.

honda350r
03-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't care what anyone says! K&N filters SUCK dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime I get a customers 450R in that is running a K&N the intake valves are tight due to the dirt grinding the valves and valve seats! I have seen this many times! The quad will leave my shop with a new Curtis Sparks filter and ring..

Bottom line K&Ns are not worth damaging your expensive engine !

eganracing
03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
[i]
Did they ever come out with a K&N for the 06 yet?
Last time I asked they had some patent pending on the 06 of a certain period of time before they could release one.
We run both filters on our minis . [/B]

i have one on my 06. i dont think there bad filters nor have i experienced dirt in my intake.

i think a must have for a k&n is the prefilter/outerwear things. if u dont have one your filter will get clogged very fast.

just my opinion

QuadJunkies
03-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
i have one on my 06. i dont think there bad filters nor have i experienced dirt in my intake.

i think a must have for a k&n is the prefilter/outerwear things. if u dont have one your filter will get clogged very fast.

just my opinion

Yeah, we run with outerwears on ours all the time, and its dripping wet with the oil each time .So much so that i have to let it set before I can put it on. lol

Also keep in mind there is ALOT of people out there that do not do there maintence properly.That has just as much bearing on what your motor is going to look like than anything .

CHEVYZ
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
WEll then we OBVIOSULY know how to install a filter,we dont get ANY in our filtersand my motor is clean as a whistle...:rolleyes:

BTW.. Im running 5 years STRONG

NO DIRT... NO SAND..
WE DO run an outerwear. Same. I run a K&N on my 400EX and 05 450r and neither have had any problems with filtering-my engines are perfectly clean. Seven years on the 400EX and a year on the 450r. I think alot of it depends on riding conditions more than maintainance....

QuadJunkies
03-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
Same. I run a K&N on my 400EX and 05 450r and neither have had any problems with filtering-my engines are perfectly clean. Seven years on the 400EX and a year on the 450r. I think alot of it depends on riding conditions more than maintainance....
I think it has alot to do with BOTH.;)

CHEVYZ
03-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, true dat haha.

450ERRRRRR!
03-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Maybe it's not the filters but the difference in dust and sand from one area of the country to the other. I know the Sand here I ride comes from the Tailings from an old Lead Mine. It's not like the sand out west. But take some of this fine dust from our back county roads and It will put the best filters to the test.

400exrider707
03-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, we run with outerwears on ours all the time, and its dripping wet with the oil each time .So much so that i have to let it set before I can put it on. lol

What is dripping? The filter or the outerwear? Dripping oil sounds like its being over-oiled to me:ermm:

QuadJunkies
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
What is dripping? The filter or the outerwear? Dripping oil sounds like its being over-oiled to me:ermm:
The filter. lol
Overkill is nothing bad as long as you let it sit before and allow the access to dry out .
We do over oil,but it doesnt get installed that way.
dripping might be a little extreme of a word, but its pretty close!lol
Non the less, it works .

400exrider707
03-26-2007, 11:24 AM
The filter. lol
Overkill is nothing bad as long as you let it sit before and allow the access to dry out .
We do over oil,but it doesnt get installed that way.
dripping might be a little extreme of a word, but its pretty close!lol
Non the less, it works .

Putting on too much oil will seriously effect your A/F readings, this has been dyno proven, although running a little rich is better than right on and dirt flowing through...

QuadJunkies
03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Dont take this wrong but.. I could care less about a Dyno reading.
They mean absoultely nothing to me.To each there own .
We have yet to have an issue with any of the maintence we have done.
I think we are one of the most anal people I know on what we do to our quads.
We dont slap a goober drippin K&N on any of our machines, I do tend to run my quad a bit fatter as it had aways ran better that way

Obviously it works for us! :D

Maybe "saturated evenly" would have been a better choice in words:p

honda350r
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
A K&N filter with a outerwear prolly has less air flow than a good foam! A k&N by itself is another story! So why run a K&N if you are going to wrap another filter around it ??????:rolleyes:

450rJam
03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I run outerwear so I can run without a lid and not worry about mud, so I dont have to clean the filter as often, (clean outerwear after each weekend, clean filter every other).

keeping it clean is the whole deal, if your not going to maintain your atv then stick with the foam.

the more flow the more power (not just the intake but the whole motor) if you let it breath in faster let it breath out faster.

think im wrong ? haha try running a race while breathing through a straw

been running K&N for ever (started with the 87 250r that got its first top end at 12 years)

QuadJunkies
03-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
A K&N filter with a outerwear prolly has less air flow than a good foam! A k&N by itself is another story! So why run a K&N if you are going to wrap another filter around it ??????:rolleyes:
BECAUSE I WANT TO.. THATS WHY
Probably? Or thats your opinion that PROBABLY it does?

I dont agree OH well......

Since when was this topic putting ME under the microscope anyways? Im happy with it-thats all that matters!
I have never had any reason to change what I run, I have had NO ISSUES...Its what I PREFER...
You go on running you foam filter.
Just because many believe in a foam filter doesnt make it LAW

Obviously K&N can and does run safely on an ATV or they would not be in business.
Drop it already:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
03-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
I run outerwear so I can run without a lid and not worry about mud, so I dont have to clean the filter as often, (clean outerwear after each weekend, clean filter every other).

keeping it clean is the whole deal, if your not going to maintain your atv then stick with the foam.

the more flow the more power (not just the intake but the whole motor) if you let it breath in faster let it breath out faster.

think im wrong ? haha try running a race while breathing through a straw

been running K&N for ever (started with the 87 250r that got its first top end at 12 years)

Until last year, I didnt even had an airbox. lol :p

honda350r
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Since when was this topic putting ME under the microscope anyways? Im happy with it-thats all that matters!
I have never had any reason to change what I run, I have had NO ISSUES...Its what I PREFER...

Obviously K&N can and does run safely on an ATV or they would not be in business.

Don't flatter yourself,my post is general info for everyone to see! It was not directed for your eyes only!

I will state my opinion based on my many years experiance take it or leave it !

Drop it?? LMAO!!!!!!

400exrider707
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM

I wasn't trying to put you under the microscope, sorry.

QuadJunkies
03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
[B]Don't flatter yourself,my post is general info for everyone to see! It was not directed for your eyes only!

B]
Then DONT QUOTE ME if its general information for everyone. That was a direct question to ME not the gereral public.
Im not going to sit here and agrue with you on this,its my choice that Im happy with. If you cant drop it ,I will close the topic. I have asked you once, please be respectful to the person who started this topic in the 1st place!
Drop it-YES.. This has gone WAY off on what the topic was intetened for.

Dont be the one who cause this persons topic to get closed.

400exrider707~
No problem.

honda350r
03-27-2007, 01:30 PM
HA HA HA!! I quoted you ?? You quoted me and called me out first! That is how I see it ..

So basically you get to show you point of view and if someone does not agree with you , you threaten to close the thread???

GPracer2500
03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Frankly, it sounds like someone is overly defensive about their filter choice.

FWIW, I've been happier with a UNI than a K&N.

rlplive
03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Here is a little problem I've been havin, one day my k&n fell off and I had it tight trust me. Then today I just pulled my seat, the hose clamp was tight as hell and the k&n slipped right out. I never had this problem with the stock filter, I am gonna start runnin the stock again and maybe buy a uni so I can switch them out between cleanings. Oh and I just tightened the filter down yesterday before I went riding.

450rJam
03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
the pro design comes with a billet aluminum adapter that gives the k&n alot better seal (06/07) not sure on the early years

rlplive
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
I just ordered two uni's so we'll see how it goes. I haven't been happy with the k&n's at all

fasterz69
03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
you know i have never had trouble with my k&n we had it on all our quads. 1992 lt250r quadracer with no box at all and outerwear, 1997 blaster with k&n and outerwear and my 2003 z400 with pro design intake with k&n and outerwear. we have had it on the lt250 for about 4 years and only ride it in the sand and never had any problems at all, the blaster i rode in mud with no lid and sand and very dusty california spot and have had things come in the airbox but never gotten past the outerwear, and the 400 i have rode on a muddy track and filter was really clean still, so unless your not using the outerwear then i dont know why people are having problams with them

400exrider707
03-28-2007, 06:55 AM
If you buy a filter, you shouldn't have to buy MORE stuff (outerwear) just to prevent dirt coming in.... isn't that what the filter is supposed to do? So from what I've read so far, every person who uses a K&N who has no problems also runs an outerwear.... interesting...:o

QuadJunkies
03-28-2007, 12:12 PM
HA HA HA!! I quoted you ?? You quoted me and called me out first! That is how I see it ..

So basically you get to show you point of view and if someone does not agree with you , you threaten to close the thread???

I will say this once..
As to your PM, I do not OWE you an apology nor will I igve one.
I did not call you out, nor am I OVER DEFENSIVE on my filter,. but what I am defensive about is why I am being questioned on WHY I chose why I do!

It shouldnt matter!It MY choice!

I have asked you to drop this once , I chose to not respond to let things mellow out and as a better judgement as a Moderator.
You have more than stated your opinion...

I believe UNI also comes with the option for an outwear.

QuadJunkies
03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
So why would foam filter offer an outerwear also? thats fine that foam is the choice for filters,we do run both and Im not saying that you shouldnt,its just MY CHOICE of filter

you stated Probably has less airflow.... does this have solid proof and then you are going to try and tell me that comment that started this all was not directed at ME?

I believe YOU did ask me,correct?

OR... was that a type-O and should have read

To the general public?

400exrider707
03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
So why would foam filter offer an outerwear also? thats fine that foam is the choice for filters,we do run both and Im not saying that you shouldnt,its just MY CHOICE of filter

Honestly I really only thought that the outerwears were to keep water off of your filter. I thought that is what they were designed for anyways, although they do have finer holes, which block some of the stuff that the filter might miss. I guess they can be used as a pre-filter though.

Anyone ever see stock cars or even some desert vehicles that run a K&N filter with a UNI wrap over it? Pretty neat

QuadJunkies
03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Honestly I really only thought that the outerwears were to keep water off of your filter. I thought that is what they were designed for anyways

We make sure the outerwear is in place especially when at the dunes because of sand . We have ran it w/o along time ago, but pretty much run the outerwear all the time

I know alot of riders we used to dune with also run the K&N

honda350r
03-28-2007, 01:45 PM

you stated Probably has less airflow.... does this have solid proof and then you are going to try and tell me that comment that started this all was not directed at ME?

I believe YOU did ask me,correct?

OR... was that a type-O and should have read

To the general public?

I don't see your name anywhere on the post that you quoted!! The only thing I am guilty of is posting after you did! If that makes it directed soley toward you ,then you have problems!!

Let me say this and this is MY opinion based on years of my own experiance... K&Ns SUCK DIRT !!

If you think differently I will not loose sleep or close this thread!!

SOOOOOO GET OVER IT !! BTW that SOOOOOO was soley directed toward QuadFlunkies

The (So why run a K&N) was for anyone who wanted to read my post !!

SGA
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
I think everyones had thier say on this and tempers are starting to flare. Prob best to put this one to bed and move on.