PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable problems

luther
03-22-2007, 08:07 PM
i have a question, i am not an expert at bikes, motors and/or mechanics, so bear with me.....

My 1999 400ex has changed hands like a dollar bill, so i dont know the history of the bike. The clutch cable is and has always been super super stiff, like taking all 4 fingers and grittin your teeth to close the clutch lever. The cable has broken twice, at the lever, and after each it is still just as stiff as before, even before riding it again. The cable is not in a pinch. the cable, does run straight down the stem, and inbetween the header pipes and a smooth curve to the clutch assembly, the cable has a spring heat shield on it half way up. The motor does not slip from the clutch or seem to be in need of a clutch. The cable takes every thread beside clutch and on the lever to meet decent play in the lever.

Like i said earlier, im not a mechanic, so is there any decent steps, when a reader responds, and says take the case off, is anything goin to fly off like shrapnal, or fall out like marbles? I know the bike has had a racing past, it has been professionally gussetted, and had some extras on and taken off, is it possible to put an 8 disc clutch with hd springs, instead of the 7 disc thats stock. ive been told there is rumors of this on my bike, but i dunno. Whats the side effects of using an 8 disc clutch, assuming that is the issue, if you cant tell im dredding taking off the case, what are some tell tell not-so-good things to look for? how many fiber plates, springs, and plates are supposed to be in a stock clutch?

Thanks all info is a help, feel free to pm me if someone reads this shortly

BossmanEX
03-22-2007, 11:58 PM
It could already have the HD springs. That may be the reason it is soo hard to release.

krt400ex
03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
if you need to adjust the clutch that much even after you replace it...then you definitely need new plates. i would also check the clutch basket to see if the tongs are grooved where the plates slide in and out...because that could be a major player in the clutch being stiff. otherwise im not sure what the problem could be. stiffer clutch springs would not make that much of a difference....if everything is working properly than you should still be able to pull the clutch in with 2 fingers with stiffer springs

Valhalla
03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
the easy way would to be to replace it with a new stock clutch and springs. that way there is no confusion as to whats in it and if its installed properly. that could be more cost effective than troubleshooting whats in it now. plus the current condition could be a problem somewhere and can possibly cause mroe problems further down the road if not fixed properly/promptly.

luther
03-23-2007, 11:52 PM
hey thanks, ill give the new clutch a try or at least take off the case to see the problem, how about the clutch discs, should they have a color or odor, or signs of use?

How about anyone else, ever had a similar problem to mine,? Is it wise to put in clutches with my friends, or should i drop it off at a shop, ?>

how about the clutch, do yall think its possible it could be worn and needing some work or replaced or does it usually seem to be worn and slipping from the motor if its shot? how much is considered bad, i know all clutches has very minutte groovings and striatians, but is there any way to tell if its too deep, say rubbing a fingernail or screwdriver over it or some other redneck idea of engineering,?????lol any brands to stay away from or purchase from, or should i buy a stock clutch or one from Tusk? are the springs usually a pull factor in comparison to the clutch strength to pull or is that more of an internal bias> any info is appreciated.....

krt400ex
03-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by luther

How about anyone else, ever had a similar problem to mine,? Is it wise to put in clutches with my friends, or should i drop it off at a shop, ?>

how about the clutch, do yall think its possible it could be worn and needing some work or replaced or does it usually seem to be worn and slipping from the motor if its shot? how much is considered bad, i know all clutches has very minutte groovings and striatians, but is there any way to tell if its too deep, say rubbing a fingernail or screwdriver over it or some other redneck idea of engineering,?????lol any brands to stay away from or purchase from, or should i buy a stock clutch or one from Tusk? are the springs usually a pull factor in comparison to the clutch strength to pull or is that more of an internal bias> any info is appreciated.....

aq clutch is pretty easy to do if you have some mechanical understanding.

IMO tusk is crap, and i would stay with the stock clutch plates. like i said, it is probably the clutch basket
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/hinson-06-clutch-basket.jpg
in case you dont know what a clutch basket is...that is a hinson basket^^^ looks the same as a stocker.

when the tongs on them groove, the basket gets like caught on the clutch plates. this causes the clutch to feel really stiff, sticky, and/or unresponsive. i would guess that a clutch cable, and new basket would be the problem with the hard clutch, and you would need new clutch plates too because you said that you had to adjust the clutch as far out as it would go everytime you put a cable on it
IMO, if you are going to spend the $$$ on a basket...get a hinson or barnette. they are the highest quality that you can buy and will outlast the stock clutch basket by far. stock clutch plates are fine and actually hold up better than some aftermarket brands.

norcal ex
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I am having this same exact problem...

luther
04-09-2007, 09:50 PM
i finally took the plunge and removed the case, i think i done it right, and had no problems, all the fiber discs and plates seemed to be in great shape, in fact excellent shape. there were 7 discs plates of fiber and 6 of steel. i suspected it had 8 but only seven, is there any way to find out if the springs are good, or hd or whatever??? i think the spring that sits on the actuator arm was either gummed up or in a bind or something, it seems to work a little better, as in sittin on my kitchen table, i think after i cleaned it all up and inspected it, it will work fine, but anyone had any similar problems, would that little spring cause that much tension on the clutch lever/???