PDA

View Full Version : The kickstarter, i think i know how it will work

Trx250rider86
03-22-2007, 07:32 PM
ok i was reading up on the press intro, and they said they needed the battery for the FI, but they said putting a smaller battery for the FI and a kickstart.... i bet this is how doug gust and the teams is, if anyones got pictures, see if you can spot a small battery anywhere.

http://www.atvriders.com/atvreviews/kawasaki2008kfx450rsportatvpressintro.html

ST87
03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
I always kind of figured you had to wire somthing to the stator and as you kick the bike it would operate the stator...example.. friend of my wired his radiator fan on his 450r to stay on when the whole time the bike was on not just when it was hot or so he says... anyways i know for a fact (because i watched the fan) that when he kicked the bike even when it didnt start only when the motor turned over that the fan would turn on when he reached the bottom of the kick stroke fan turned off... but idk

Trx250rider86
03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
yeah but see, the fuel injection would need to pump the fuel to start the quad i believe. i dont think the kick would get it going, no i can see prime kicking it a few times to get it going, but maybe this battery thing might be the only option?

m not sure exactally how the FI works but thats how i would imagine.

I wanna see some close up pics of Doug gusts ltr, if anyone has please post

400ex87
03-23-2007, 08:39 AM
arctic cats run batteryless EFI on their sleds. I dont know exactly how it works but there are other post on this elsewhere if you search. Arctic cat engines are also made by suzuki

bradley300
03-23-2007, 09:11 AM
i would say the stator powers the fuel pump some how, so when the flywheel turns, the stator makes power, priming the feul pump. but its just a geuss

bwamos
03-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I would think you could use a large capacitor in place of the battery on a a kick start version. But, it all depends on how the electronics are setup.

xwarriorx
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
in the new atv action they look at dustin wimmers bike and it sasy he has the yosh electric start elimination kit which gets rid of the battery and shaves 12 pounds. so maybe there is a kit that they are just not offering yet.

05Z400rdr
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by xwarriorx
in the new atv action they look at dustin wimmers bike and it sasy he has the yosh electric start elimination kit which gets rid of the battery and shaves 12 pounds. so maybe there is a kit that they are just not offering yet.

Yeah when i was in the pits at budds creek last year, and jeremiah jones was testing out the kicker. i was talking to brant russel and he said that they do anything to cut off just a few pounds off their bikes. took the battery and everything off and ran a kickstarter he said saved him like 12 pounds. i'm also pretty sure that he said the efi still runs without the battery...idk if the alternator does that or what?

but you were asking if there is any pics of wimmers or gusts bikes up close with a kickstart...

if you look on the back cover of the newest issue of quad magazine, they have both their bikes on it and they r each facing a different direction..so you can see both sides. i dont see any little battery or anything like you were saying...

Landon

Chino886
03-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Wimmer's bike is converted to a Kick Start (back cover of Quad Magazine, picture is as clear as day)

xwarriorx
03-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Wimmer's bike is converted to a Kick Start (back cover of Quad Magazine, picture is as clear as day)

i think we covered that

xwarriorx
03-28-2007, 04:38 PM
here it is in atv action.
upper right

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/undscvrdash/wimmerkick092.jpg