PDA

View Full Version : elka shock trouble what do you think ?

chavez
10-07-2002, 08:17 AM
need help with my elkas. heres the situation i thought i blew them out at high point. when i was done racing my shocks we all spring no oil leaks and there was presure still in the cans the oil smelled like s#*t took them to a shop and got them redone. at
st clarsville i got them back they were fine at the start but when i was done racing i was right back where started flat with only spring action. the top spring that usually has 1 1/2 inch of travel was gone. any ideas? here is a pic when they were still good the top spring now has no travel

dhines
10-08-2002, 06:58 AM
You can always send them back to Elka. They will definitely take care of you.

Dennis

stocktires
10-08-2002, 10:13 AM
dang, thats purty bad!
Elka sure is seeming to have alota problems
Dunno If I should still buy their LT shocks or not...

lil400exman
10-08-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
dang, thats purty bad!
Elka sure is seeming to have alota problems
Dunno If I should still buy their LT shocks or not...

stock, you see they all have lemons like i heard of a guy riding a stock 400ex 1st day he had it and bam! in hte 3rd gear the engine blew up he was not winding it out or down shifting he was doing what the manual said breakin procedure.... and a 400ex a peice of junk? no its just that everyhting thats made will have a lemon some more than other and osme worse than others just my 0.02 something to think about.......:)

stocktires
10-08-2002, 11:46 AM
I know, with every company and every product, there are lemons.
It may be because there's more elka shocks on this forum than any other. But there do seem to be quite a few lemons with elka shocks....
Elka is still unproven! Thats my point

cdalejef
10-08-2002, 12:05 PM
The majority of the problems is the owners not noing how to properly adjust them.

DMC mx400ex
10-08-2002, 01:00 PM
when i get mine what should i do to not break em? id unno have rezzys

sandslinger101
10-08-2002, 07:03 PM
:cool: hey, well i have had my elkas for a couple months and compared to stock, about 10 fold better. i ride thru whoops about 8 inches to 18 inches tall in 4 and 5 gear and all i can say is there great. after a weekend ride my legs use to sore but not any more becaus my a**, rear end stays sitting on the seat.:D oh yea i bought em thru the quad shop.

10-08-2002, 07:15 PM
i think i may be buying elka, i dotn want ne problems liek this though:( my local elka dealer said hed set up my whole front end , and he will let me trade my works in most likely, what do u guys think?

Leo
10-08-2002, 08:23 PM
how did you happen to know the oil smells bad..?

I may be off base here but I think there is a bladder in the resevoir to keep the nitrogen / oil seperate.. if you getting oil out of the schrader valve I would guess there is something wrong with the bladders?

I would also go so far as to say that if the oil + nitrogen mixed it would have a very bad effect on how the shocks perform..

Who did you have re-do the shocks? Was it a reputable shop that knows elka's?

I've had nothing but good luck with mine.. Actually now that I've gotten better at dialing them in I don't think I could live without 'em :D

Leo

10-09-2002, 12:21 AM
I have heard and read a lot of good things about Elka. You probably got a bad one. Send them back or call Elka. They will probably take care of you.

yellowex01
10-09-2002, 07:16 PM
I bought mine early this year, and havent had any problems with them. They are great..

BTW they are for sale or trade for some houser long travel a arms.

Sparks425Ex
10-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Sell them and get some TCS. They are sweet.

stocktires
10-09-2002, 09:28 PM
I believe I may be going the TCS route

10-09-2002, 09:33 PM
I think if I were not happy with the setup I have, I might get PEP zps and Laegers T-pin front end.

10-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Funny just had this discussion earlier tonight with a pro rider about the problems Elka has had with some of their shocks. It seems that weather you want to call it growing pains or "lemons" there are no 100% perfect products and there are allways gonna be some problems.

While it appears that most of the problems that have popped up with the elka shocks are connected to either MX use or improper adjustments (yes some of the factory settings also) and I am thinking there may be a connection here.

The discussion tonight was interesting as there were some strong points made about the quality of the shocks (this guy is sponsered by Axis) and there were no disagreements about Elka's quality. Where there was something to be learned is that a small amount of the shocks sold by all manufacturers have problems but its the bad ones that we hear about. Most of these problems etc are easily fixed by the factory(s).

Well I love my quad rate Elka's and though I am by no means a pro level rider I do not baby them and it seems the more I push them the better they work, but then maybe its the std length triple rates that seem to be the ones that have the problems.

Best I can figure is that if you are one of the unlucky few to get a bad one or a shock that is set up too stiff etc dont just keep pushing it and send it back to get the problem corrected.

Sparky416ex
10-10-2002, 02:54 PM
I have axis on the 416...and i agree it feels like the harder you push them the better they work, the faster you go the faster you feel like you can go. I just ordered elka for my 300. I think im going to be impressed.

chavez
10-10-2002, 03:12 PM
by no means am i complaining about my elkas i went from axis to elka and i love them i had a reputable person redo them and set them for the simple fact that i know how they work good and bad. but not enough to fix them or set them up. its happened two races in a row and i was wondering why or how so if i have to beef something up or tone something down. if it breaks there has to be a reason.

Dave400ex
10-10-2002, 05:13 PM
I haven`t had any problems with mine. I would send them to Elka.

10-10-2002, 05:16 PM
The majority of the problems is the owners not noing how to properly adjust them. Chavez I think that jeff is calling you stupid. I think he is implying you stupid idiot if you would learn how to set your shocks up you wouldn't have this problem. j/k

chavez
10-10-2002, 05:26 PM
thanks for all your help gnccer

chavez
10-28-2002, 06:46 AM
well finally got my elkas fixed xxx suspension was the ticket what was wrong with them was the bodies were wore out and when they would get hot that was all she wrote less than a week turn around by the owner of triple x is bryan jones GNCC#10 mechanic