PDA

View Full Version : best carb?

matthoyda
03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
whats the best bang for the buck when it comes to buying an aftermarket carb? what kind, where do you buy them? are they worth it?

jherbie28
03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
im trying to find out the same thing, i did hear good, really good things about an aftermarket carb (bigger) i dont know much more then you, but hope this helps. also know that there not the cheapest things

suzukiray
03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Start looking on Ebay. You want an FCR 39 from a Yamaha YZF 450 dirt bike. It will make a HUGE difference over the stock carb! Ray.

drzoo2
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
We've been working on using a HS40 over at central. It's a 40mm carb with an accelerator pump. Uses all stock carb jets and choke. The only down side is they are a little hard to find. Cheap though.

z

gsxrkneedragger
12-20-2008, 03:25 PM
it took me a while to find this thread, but i have a question about the yzf 450 dirtbike carb. I was just looking on ebay and found a few but most of them have that tps (throttle position sensor) i have an 03 z400 and i don't have that thing. do i need to find one that doesn't have that or am i screwed more or less? or can i just cut the wire off and not worry about it? Thanks for your help in advance.

bellzbub
12-20-2008, 05:50 PM
been running my fcr 39 off a yfz 450 for 2 years now. i just zip tied the tps plug out of the way. never thought about it again til now. so you can either cut it off or leave it alone you will not be using it.

Sforza919
12-20-2008, 09:05 PM
fcr 39mm off of yfz450 is deff the best bang for your buck

cataway
12-20-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by gsxrkneedragger
it took me a while to find this thread, but i have a question about the yzf 450 dirtbike carb. I was just looking on ebay and found a few but most of them have that tps (throttle position sensor) i have an 03 z400 and i don't have that thing. do i need to find one that doesn't have that or am i screwed more or less? or can i just cut the wire off and not worry about it? Thanks for your help in advance. yep what bellzbub said is true
you dont have to hook it up in fact you dont have to do any thing with it tho i do feel it looks bettter with out it.
some thing that you may like to do is to replace the reture spring, it makes the thumb pull all most in half.
this is what it will look like with out the TPS
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/04-05-2008LS021.jpg
theres a how to do wright up on it some were .

airmobile101
12-20-2008, 11:35 PM
TRX90/300/400 throttle assembly works great with this carb.

gsxrkneedragger
12-21-2008, 12:22 PM
this is going to sound like a dumb question, but what does this carb really do? like obviously it puts more gas into the motor along with air, but does that really do that much for performance gain, and what about some numbers? even just a guess. would i have to do anything else with doing just the carb, or would more need to be done? such as exhaust, air box mods, etc. all i have done is a k&n filter, with a stock lid. last, is this just a straight up bolt on or is there some modding that goes with it? thanks.

cataway
12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
this is going to sound like a dumb question, but what does this carb really do? like obviously it puts more gas into the motor along with air, but does that really do that much for performance gain, and what about some numbers? even just a guess. would i have to do anything else with doing just the carb, or would more need to be done? such as exhaust, air box mods, etc. all i have done is a k&n filter, with a stock lid. last, is this just a straight up bolt on or is there some modding that goes with it? thanks.
yes the carb will make a difference but not as mush a some people think ,thing is most guys also replace the intake at the same time which in its self will give a 2+ HP increase .
removing the box lid helps a lot but removing the whole box helps even more.
and yes the exhaust has to be replaced the whole exhaust just doing a slip-on is a wast of money.

jonboy
12-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Well for starters the FCR is a mechanical slide which responds the instant the thumber is pushed. The stock mikuni is a cv style carb that works on vacuum. This also makes it hesitate a little in order to get vac.press. from the motor. Not as responsive as the FCR and not as good for holeshots. Secondly the FCR is more tunable than the stocker and has lots of mod parts available from specialty companies especially Tokyo Mods(my fav), and Sudco. This makes it even more popular as you mod your bikes engine. Because you can tune it in to the bike as you do more to the motor. And yes it does flow a little better and gets more fuel to the motor faster than the stocker. Hope this helps give some understanding as why the FCR is a very popular choice for most 4 strokes.

gsxrkneedragger
12-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cataway
yes the carb will make a difference but not as mush a some people think ,thing is most guys also replace the intake at the same time which in its self will give a 2+ HP increase .
removing the box lid helps a lot but removing the whole box helps even more.
and yes the exhaust has to be replaced the whole exhaust just doing a slip-on is a wast of money.

i'd like to remove the lid, and even the whole air box, but i end up somehow riding in the mud once in a while and would rather not take a chance of hurting anything by getting dirt and water sucked up my intake. also, the parts manager where i get my stuff from said that the z400 header pipe flows great and that i wouldn't even need to get a full exhaust for the same amount of power. is this right?

cataway
12-22-2008, 04:09 PM
i'd like to remove the lid, and even the whole air box, but i end up somehow riding in the mud once in a while and would rather not take a chance of hurting anything by getting dirt and water sucked up my intake. also, the parts manager where i get my stuff from said that the z400 header pipe flows great and that i wouldn't even need to get a full exhaust for the same amount of power. is this right?
the head it self flows good and does not really need any port work till there is some more exsive modding is done, but the pipe is a differnt matter.

gsxrkneedragger
12-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by cataway
the head it self flows good and does not really need any port work till there is some more exsive modding is done, but the pipe is a differnt matter.

so i should get a full system instead of just the slip on? I'm almost positive that i am going to go with a yoshi prob rs-3. i think.

airmobile101
12-23-2008, 03:26 AM
so i should get a full system instead of just the slip on? I'm almost positive that i am going to go with a yoshi prob rs-3. i think.
If you can afford a full system, then get it. I originally had a HMF s/o before I swapped back to a FMF. I didn't honestly feel a difference, but Im sure there was a improvement since the stock header has that bend in it that goes down off the head compared to a aftermarket where it wraps around the head.