PDA

View Full Version : Back tires wobble help!

wheelinforlife
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Hello, my back two tires have a wobble when I wiggle them back and forth. Can I just take the weeks off and tighten the red axle hub to the axle? With this solve the problem? Also, What oil should I put in for this spring, summer? Thanks

drag93ex
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
there usually is a little play in the hubs i have found, you can tighten has much and put the cotter pin back in, there still might be play.

REDRIDDER
03-22-2007, 12:58 PM
wheelingforlife are you sure your bearings in your axle carrier are good cause mine were bad and i thought the same thing until i checked the bearing carrier and found them to be bad,just a suggestion though.

Pipeless416
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by wheelinforlife
Hello, my back two tires have a wobble when I wiggle them back and forth. Can I just take the weeks off and tighten the red axle hub to the axle? With this solve the problem? Also, What oil should I put in for this spring, summer? Thanks

i had the exact problem. take the hubs off completely and clean then off so they're near spotless. then, put grease on the splines on the axle and in the hub.. make sure to use plenty because a lot just slides off when you put the hub back on. tighten to the torque specs and put the cotter pin back in. that should solve it, but if not then your splines are worn or you're looking in the wrong place and its probably the axle bearings.

Topeka-440
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
If you can raise the Rear-end of the bike up and down, with the grab bar. You may be able to see where the "play" is coming from. I did this and I could see my axle hubs were loose. I just removed the cotter pin and tightened with an impact. worked for me anyway.

wheelinforlife
03-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. I see the play comming from the red hubs that connect it to the axle. I have razr II on the back. This wobble has really bugged me lol! I really hope I can fix it today!

REDRIDDER
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
well if its not your carrier bearing then id say yuor hub splines are shot.

wheelinforlife
03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, i just greased up the hubs and noticed the only thing holding on my wheels where my COTTER PINS!!! scary!!!! As of now they are all tighten up and greased up! I also tightened up my big nut by the carrier, that was loose also. I will be going for a ride tomr and hope all as well.

JOEX
03-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Well, i just greased up the hubs and noticed the only thing holding on my wheels where my COTTER PINS!!! scary!!!! As of now they are all tighten up and greased up! I also tightened up my big nut by the carrier, that was loose also. I will be going for a ride tomr and hope all as well.
Pipeless416 nailed you original question....

The 'big nut by the carrier' being loose might be something to look into a little farther though:ermm:

wheelinforlife
03-25-2007, 06:47 PM
What do you think caused that, Joe? It is tightened down now. I still see a slight wobble on my rear left side. Maybe I need to tighten them even more. This had been upsetting.

JOEX
03-25-2007, 09:57 PM
What do you think caused that, Joe? It is tightened down now. I still see a slight wobble on my rear left side. Maybe I need to tighten them even more. This had been upsetting.
If you removed the hubs, cleaned and regreased them before reinstalling i's say either the hub splines or axle splines are worn.

Assuming the big nut by the caliper is the lock nut (on the right side of the carrier), is it stock? Has it been removed?

wheelinforlife
03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah it is stock. It has been tighten on thursday. It would just wiggle just a tad. I looked at the spindles and they looked pretty good on both the axle and hubs.

Hondahoo2
03-26-2007, 11:47 AM
There should be no "play" on the hub splines, if there is, they will wear out and get looser and looser.

Dude! Don't tighten anything with an impact , Ever!:huh