PDA

View Full Version : burned up clutch

madkaw06
03-22-2007, 03:08 AM
How bad is bad when comes to a burned up clutch?
Mine dont look so good. oil is baked on the clutch basket for one.
There is some scarring on the fiber pads, they are toast. I am not sure what you call the part on the end of the push rod that rides inside the bearing on the pressure plate, but it is discolored pretty good. The question is i know i have to replace the steel and fiber plates and also the springs. But is there anything else that whould worry me? Any info would be appreciated.

suzukiray
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Start changing your oil! We change all of our quads every other ride & have NO problems at all! Also, make sure your clutch is ADJUSTED correctly. Ray.

madkaw06
03-23-2007, 02:25 AM
I also change my oil very frequently. I am a maintenance freak. I am thinking tthe clutch was just ready to go. And i am being told that running full synthetic is a no no in a dry sump system. I think this is why it burned up or at least helped. i was fanning the clutch on an up hill to keep the rpms up and the front wheels down in the middle of a cross country race, that probably did'nt help me much either and i would not recommend it to anyone. i was just trying new things to better my time and it ended up puting me out of the race early. I learned a good one there. Since i change my oil so often, i think i will just go to regular mobil 1 10-40 and see where that gets me. Thanks for your reply. Rich

the fat kid
03-23-2007, 05:38 AM
the dude at my local shop says if you put regular car oil in itll kill hte clutch too, idk i let a friend of mine talk me into doing that with my dirtbike a few years ago and it didnt seem to have any tourque, idk maybe just a coincidence but id stick with 4 stroke oil cause of the clutch in there.