PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think a Dowel Pin Fell into my bottom end!

kalebarellano
03-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, I took my cylinder off to heli coil a valve cover bolt and now one of the dowel pins off that goes between the bottom end and the cylinder is missing. I have looked everywhere so I think that I may have fallen into the bottom end. If it did how could I get it out? I was thinking of trying to get it out with a magnet. Should I drain the oil? Or will that make it harder to get out?

Thanks

400exracer511
03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
When I rebuilt mine I thought I dropped it in there too but turns out it was stuck in the bottom of the cyl.

idk what they are made of but I would try the magnent (if they're magnetic) without draining oil first because it might keep the dowel right under the hole instead of rolling all over the place.

Just a thought. good luck

firefighterjosh
03-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Try dumping your quad upside down:confused:

or shop vac lol I dunno what to say...you might need to take it apart

kalebarellano
03-22-2007, 06:17 AM
I did so searching, and I think I should be able to get it out. I read some stuff about people getting things out with magnets, flipping the bike, and taking taking the side cover off. The piece is magnetic. I am gonna swing by sears today and get one of those magnetic thing thats on a snake like wire thing. I will first try it with the oil in the and if that doesn't work I will drain it and try it.

Hopefully this works.

interceptorz28
03-22-2007, 08:10 AM
yeah, I would go fishing with a magnet for a little while.

kalebarellano
03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
My class this morning was canceled so I went to home depot and got a good magnet on a 20in telescopic stick. I stuck it down there and the second it went down there I heard a little click and I pulled it up and the dowel pin was on there, what a relief that was. I should be able to put it all back together tonight.

dariusld
03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I love happy endings:)

Roman
03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Ahh Men.

04exking
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Someones lucky:p

kalebarellano
03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Yes, I was really happy and relieved when I pulled it out. I got it all back together and took it for quick spin. I will take it out some more this weekend. Hopefully I have good luck again and my head gasket holds up.

kalebarellano
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
First of all F U. I already rode it pretty hard all weekend, and had no problems. If you really think that, that is sad.