PDA

View Full Version : Warranty VOID

feature05
03-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Can you believe this. Today I went to the dealership to buy some chain oil and the oil filter for my KFX because after tomorrow I will have the first 10 hours on it. Anyways I was at the counter about to pay for the items and this service guy came out of back and said, " are you going to change your oil". Of course I said yes, then he told me that if I do so he and the dealership would not do any future warranty service on my KFX whatso ever and I will void the warranty. He also said that Kawasaki told them to tell everyone to do their first service at a local dealership since the quad is brand new to the market. He said it's because Kawasaki wants to know if they are working out correctly for people so far. He wanted to charge me $60.00 to change the oil, oil filter, and inspect all the bolts.

Is this true, do you have to do this. I wanted to call the Kawasaki head quaters but they were closed. I don't really care if its new or not, since when can't you change your own oil on your vehicle?

Why do I need someone to do this for me, its so easy a caveman could do it.

chipworkz
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I just picked up mine today (This thing is nice!).
Take a look at the Warranty paperwork that came in your package.
The first thing to look at is section 1. EXCLUSIONS. The following are specifically excluded from the terms and provisions of this warranty:
(c) All KX designated model Kawasaki ATV.

Is this good or bad?

The next thing is section 3. Owner's Obligations.
(a) Owner must deliver the ATV to an authorized Kawasaki ATV dealer or equally qualified service facility for inspection, maintenace services and adjustments according to the Periodic Maintenance chart contained in the owner's manual. The inspection, maintenance services and adjustments are to be performed at owner's expense.

This looks like the warranty is only valid if you have the work done by a dealer or service center and have the records to prove it.

Let us know what Kawasaki says.
Thanks

GPracer2500
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Call Kawasaki and (if you want) read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Don't let the dealer try and steamroll you.

seldawg
03-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Here is the wording from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

TWILES
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Seeing that this atv is being raced by a factory Kawasaki team JUST like the KX's, what modifications void the warrenty? It would suck if they advertise these bike's like they are race machines, yet if you change the oil yourself, they won't stand behind them. They have one at the local Kawi dealership. I think I'll wait a while. Thats buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull****.

feature05
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok guys, just got off the phone with Kawasaki Headquarters. They told me that I can change my own oil, but as long as I use the Kawasaki products like oil filter, oil, ect..... They said that you should also document the service in the manual and keep the reciepts in the manual also. Document the time, date, and products used.

I still don't really like this, but hey it saves me $60.00.

bwamos
03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
That's a completely acceptable answer.

They don't want some doof going out and buying 5w30 high mileage penzoil and putting it in it. ;)

atvmxr
03-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
That's a completely acceptable answer.

They don't want some doof going out and buying 5w30 high mileage penzoil and putting it in it. ;)

just for my enlightenment, what kind/weight are you supposed to use? Full synthetic, 10w40???

brink400
03-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Look in the manual, every manual for every quad ive ever seen has a chart with oil weight recommendations in it.

feature05
03-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah, its 10w40. I know I will have full sythetic in mine. I just don't trust the Kawi brand. I want to use Mobil 1, but they might freak out though since I can only use their products now. This sucks. LOL

GPracer2500
03-23-2007, 11:05 AM
You don't have to use Kawasaki oil.

250r4life
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
feature 05- where abouts in el paso are you?

man, when i lived there there was nobody with bikes or quads... it sucked too cuz i had tons of trails behind my house and it would have been great if i would have had something back then...

feature05
03-23-2007, 05:27 PM
250r4life

I live in the northeast. We have a whole gang of people that ride quads and dirt bikes together. Its like the big thing here in El Paso now. Tons of trails and dunes to choose from. They also have sand drags every month. Its pretty cool.

250r4life
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
youre kidding!!! that is sweet!

i went to Coronado high school over on the west side... are you over by fort bliss, or out by montwood or what?

where are there dunes and sand drags?

feature05
03-24-2007, 01:16 AM
250r4life

Na, I actually graduated from Parkland High and I work for Fort Bliss as a civilian employee. Red Sands on east montana street is for the dunes, and the sand drags are always held in a little town 20 minutes out of town called Clint. But for reals, everyone rides now. Its crazy, it got really big in the last three years here.

250r4life
03-24-2007, 01:19 AM
im not familiar with parkland i dont think... its been a while... its not 5A is it?

can you ride at white sands, or is that strictly tourist?

feature05
03-24-2007, 12:32 PM
250r4life

Yeah its 5A. Actually from what I heard is the White Sands does this ATV trail ride with a group of people once a year or something like that. That would be an awesome place to ride but it is very restricted since its a national park.