PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring or wrong idle?

400exrapes
03-21-2007, 08:01 PM
i finally turned my pilot in some and put a new spark plug into my quad it starts up pretty good and revs nice i havent got to ride it yet but when the quad is idling it sounds like almost bubbles when i rev it obviously way louder but do i just need to tune my idle to straighten the idling to a nice tone or is that backfiring theres no flames or anything like my friends quad.(i have bad spelling sorry for bad wording)

Honda#4
03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Do you have the 42 pilot in? Maybe you turned out the screw alittle to far?

You can go and turn the idle up to see if that helps.

400exrapes
03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah honda i think your right i would hatte to take everything off again i just turn the pilot in a turn cuz it was 2 and ahalf and it helped alot ill try the idle but if i have to put the pilot in all the way which is what i think i should do then ill do it if i can adjust the pilot screw without taking my whole gas tank and front plastics off i will do that.

Honda#4
03-21-2007, 09:41 PM
For starters you don't need to take the whole gas tank off, just the two straps on the side and the pop rivets and for the carb all you do is losen up the two hose clamps on each side of the carb and then you turn the carb towards the side where the petcock is on.

Tell you the truth it's alot faster when you have the IMS tank on.

400exrapes
03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
yeah im just gonna hope that i need to tune my idle now.

Honda#4
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
yea do that first

400exrapes
03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
haha woww ive got 38 and 42 pilot and 148 main and 152 ive tried the 152 and 42 with two and ahalf turns out on the pilot and that was too much gas gave me white smoke and hard start so i turned it in a turn and at half throttle it was backfiring and then i put the 148 cuz it was too rich the plug was black and then i rode and half throttle was just air and fireball so now im not sure im gonna do the 152 and the pilot all the way in i think thats good but ive taken the carb off like 4 or 5 times now dude its getting annoying lol but ya know ill deal with it i enjoy learning and randomly it never worked but with a new spark plug my neutral light started working

Honda#4
03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Your lean with the 152 main, put your 42 pilot in and a 155 main and take your lid off that should be close.

I know its a pain but after its all done you feel so much better. I actually love playing around with my carb its fun, i've torn it down aleast 4 times to correctly jet my bike and each time I do it faster and faster takes me around 15 to 25 minutes to take the carb off and jet it if needed.

400exrapes
03-24-2007, 09:47 AM
im not sure the 155 is gonna be even more rich i rode my quad for a week wih the 152 and 42 and after the week i was riding it and all of the sudden it stalled and when i tried starting it back up it was some grey smoke coming out i checked my plug it was black everywhere. so i was told turning my pilot in and i did but only a turn and i did and then at half throttle i cant describe the sound but was like air and a pop kindof. if that means i need to go to a 155 i will, just that my spark plug was black and when i put a new plug in it was also black. thanks for your help also its very frustrating for me and knowing that I will get it fixed releives me some.

Honda#4
03-24-2007, 10:46 AM
put in a 150 main and keep your 42 pilot in and take your lid off.