PDA

View Full Version : tire alignement?

jason43050
03-21-2007, 06:41 AM
i have an 05 400 ex. should my front tires be straight with my rear tires? or should the front aim "in" a little?

vett_09
03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Your front tires should be straight up and down. If they lean in like -> / \ you may have bent your spindles. I've bent one of mine and had to replace it. If they're toe'd in the other way it may be tie rods.

Hope that's what you were asking...

jason43050
03-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by vett_09
Your front tires should be straight up and down. If they lean in like -> / \ you may have bent your spindles. I've bent one of mine and had to replace it. If they're toe'd in the other way it may be tie rods.

Hope that's what you were asking...
no i mean should my tires be turned inward, like the way they are aimed. if i have my handlebars faceing forward, should my front tires be perfectly straight with my rear wheels?

ZSK
03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Most common references to steering are Camber, Castor, and Toe.

If you're standing in front of the quad looking at the bumper the angle of the tire is the Camber. Negitive camber: / \ Positive \ /

If you're looking at the side the Castor is the relationship of the axis running through the center of the spindle.

Toe is if you were on top of the quad looking straight down. Toe in / \ Toe out \ /

Normal Toe in is 1/8" - 1/4"

jason43050
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
Most common references to steering are Camber, Castor, and Toe.

If you're standing in front of the quad looking at the bumper the angle of the tire is the Camber. Negitive camber: / \ Positive \ /

If you're looking at the side the Castor is the relationship of the axis running through the center of the spindle.

Toe is if you were on top of the quad looking straight down. Toe in / \ Toe out \ /

im talking about what the tie rod adjusts. should my front tires be lined up straight with the rear tires?

hondaguy20
03-21-2007, 11:28 AM
yes..what you want is called toe...you want it toed in about 1/8 inch...so the front measurement will be an 1/8 inch less than the rear measurement of your front tires

wishmasstir
03-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ZSK

this is what your asking about

jason43050
03-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by wishmasstir
Originally posted by ZSK

this is what your asking about
yes that is what i'm talking about thanks guys!