PDA

View Full Version : do you need a dobeck or powercomander with slipon

Honda5
03-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I don't know much about the efi systems but I'm trying to find out if you can run a slipon without doing any mapping on a 700r.

JeffRocknr
03-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I have an 06 700 and put a slip on Yosha pipe on it. When i left the Spark arrester in it, it ran great. Now i took it out (to sound louder ofcorse) and the first 10 mins of riding it when the motor is cold it will back fire alittle bit. But once it warms up it runs great. I am going to add a new air box and add some kind of computer box to reprogram it. Hope this helps

GPracer2500
03-21-2007, 11:36 PM
The Raptor's EFI is open loop. It has no idea if you make intake and exhaust mods and will not adjust for them. It has an intake air pressure sensor and an intake air tempurature sensor to allow it to adjust for changes in ambient air density. But it won't know if you're moving a different volume of air through the engine (causing it to run lean or rich) and won't/can't make the correct adjustments without an EFI controller.

So is a controller mandatory with a slip-on? I suppose it depends on the slip on. If it's close to he same resrictiveness as stock then it's probably not too big a deal. But if it leans out the a/f mixture then it's not going to be good for the engine and might hinder performance.

Honda5
03-22-2007, 06:06 AM
thanks, that is the info I was looking for.

True Blue
03-22-2007, 10:34 PM
From what I was told by a dealer the computer can compensate for air into the machine meaning if you put a high flo filter on it. The computer however cannot compensate for air out meaning any type of performance exhaust. If your bike is popping at high RPM's that means you are running way lean. Keep running your bike like this and you will be replacing rings. Not only is a controller manditory but you will be surprised at what performance it will give you. 150-200 bucks is cheap considering what it will do to your engine if you don't have one. Just my opinion