PDA

View Full Version : heres an odd question for ya

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 01:13 AM
While I was in the shower this morning ,I encountered a bump on the back of my head....
I didnt think nothing of it ,but after pulling it off and looking at it, I found a TICK! Had I known thats what it would be , I would have done it differently, but it was on the back of my scalp so I had no idea!
Ive NEVER had a tick before and wondered what should I need to worry about?
Im kind surprised to see ticks out already here ,but we did have a warming trend in the last 2 weeks.
I must have picked it up riding this past wk end, so its been there for 3 days!:scary:
Im pretty grossed out at this point and will prol. have bug nightmares tonight:p lol
Anything I should worry about ?

Kickstarts-suck
03-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Did you get all the legs out?

If not you should.

400exrider707
03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Go to the doctor asap. When a tick is pulled from your skin I remember it is supposed to be pulled straight out, and they are the #1 cause of lyme disease! Definitely talk to your doctor.

54warrior
03-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah, better to err on the side of caution in this case. Consult your doctor. I know I would, my friends mom has Lyme's Disease and it's a real pain in the arse.

450ERRRRRR!
03-21-2007, 07:05 AM
H0LD on ! Dont get exicted! I live in tick centeral and have had hunderds of tick bites in my life. I'm still here and not shaking or twitching yet. Just have someone look at it for the next week. If it turns all red and swells up then yes go see a doctor. A tick has to be attached to you over 24 hours to infect you. I'll bet you"ll be just fine. Here in missouri we raise tick's for the rest of you guys. I have went riding and looked at my pants leg and it's crawling with little seed ticks. Millions of them! I've rolled up newspaper and lit it and draged it across my pants just to kill the little buggers. When turkey hunting, leaning against a tree I've had a whole tribe of them try to carry me off. I too hate the little blood sucking basterds!

gbcap
03-21-2007, 07:31 AM
i wouldn't get concerned yet...but i would have someone watch the bit spot for a few days.

your supposed to pull the tick straight out so his head comes out too. not the legs like kickstart said. they bury thier heads in you to get the blood.

just keep an eye out for anything unusual.

Pappy
03-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
i wouldn't get concerned yet...but i would have someone watch the bit spot for a few days.

your supposed to pull the tick straight out so his head comes out too. not the legs like kickstart said. they bury thier heads in you to get the blood.

just keep an eye out for anything unusual.

i agree...

and could ya send some video re-enacting the shower scene for more detail so we all could better understand the whole situation:devil: (beat ya jerry:blah: )

lost boyz
03-21-2007, 07:42 AM
ok for starters like they said make sure the head is out dont worry about the legs its the head that matters...make sure you get ever bit of the head out..the head is what gets you ..legs are there just like legs do to walk or hold on..legs dont mean anything..

NOt to scare you but i have a couple freinds that have what they call rocky moutain lime diesease now...

my one buddy has been ill but it took several months for him to get this way.he didnt even know.doctors said nothing to worry about ..several months later ill ( cant move / aways tired /stiffing of bones/burryness of sight...

now for my other buddy when he got a tick on him he went to the doctors right way..doctors said NOTING to worry about <<<yeah ok NOW he worryies everyday...since he got his effects of it...

6 months out of the year his whole left side is paralized i think i spelled that right...cant move out of the 6 months...
always tired/burry vision/..........

i little *** tick is what brought it on i cant believe the impact those little f@cks can do to a human...man it just makes you want to come out side like a damn bubble boy....

bro i cant stress this to the max...

go to the doctors then go for a 2nd doctor...i know it is priceybut trust me down the road if something does happen to will look back and say man i should of spent the extra $75.00 doctor visit to see if the doctor sees anything thing dif or if he can give me meds to cure the bacteria the tick left....

i cant stress it enough if you like your freedom and want to have fun at a young age just get a 2nd opion from a nother doctor....

400exrider707
03-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
H0LD on ! Dont get exicted! I live in tick centeral and have had hunderds of tick bites in my life. I'm still here and not shaking or twitching yet. Just have someone look at it for the next week. If it turns all red and swells up then yes go see a doctor. A tick has to be attached to you over 24 hours to infect you. I'll bet you"ll be just fine. Here in missouri we raise tick's for the rest of you guys. I have went riding and looked at my pants leg and it's crawling with little seed ticks. Millions of them! I've rolled up newspaper and lit it and draged it across my pants just to kill the little buggers. When turkey hunting, leaning against a tree I've had a whole tribe of them try to carry me off. I too hate the little blood sucking basterds!

Re-read her post... it's been on her for 3 days!!! If it was a couple hours I would say just keep an eye on it like everyone else, but 3 days, and add that to the fact that it didn't get pulled straight out and its on the back of her neck and she cant see it... theres a good chance the head might still be there... have someone check it out.

mxdad
03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
This is what you need to do. Watch the site for the next few weeks. If you see any redness or swelling go see your doctor. But as a precaution after 2 weeks you should go get a blood test for lime disease. It WILL NOT SHOW UP in your blood for 2 weeks so don't bother getting tested prior to that. Hopefully it will be nothing but it can cause serious problems. How close did you look at the tic after you pulled it off? You are actually supposed to save them for the doctor. You can look at them and tell if you got the entire head out. Search the internet for tic pictures and look a the head/mouth to see if it looks like you pulled it out completely.

Quad18star
03-21-2007, 08:09 AM
I'd go get it checked out to be on the safe side . I've heard stories of people getting Lyme Disease from these little suckers , and the outcome isn't always the greatest .

Better to be safe than sorry .

Johnny & Monica
03-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I hate tick season!

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i agree...

and could ya send some video re-enacting the shower scene for more detail so we all could better understand the whole situation:devil: (beat ya jerry:blah: )

LOL!:p
Troy said it looked like all I had was a blood spot form the hole in my scalp,so he thinks I got it all. Its a tiny bit red, but not bad.Ill have Troy check it daily for me, Ive been sick the last few days so my immune system is down a little.
I know when I got it out of my head, it was kinda scrapped off or maybe somewhat squeezed out(that was a nice visual lol)

So how would you know if you had lyme disease? Is that only happen if you leave the head in??

this is SOOO FREAKIN Gross to talk about eeewwww!!:scary:

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by EigerRider
. How close did you look at the tic after you pulled it off? You are actually supposed to save them for the doctor. You can look at them and tell if you got the entire head out. Search the internet for tic pictures and look a the head/mouth to see if it looks like you pulled it out completely.
I threw it away after letting my ole man see it.
It had a piece of skin on the top of it what I would assume was its head and/or mouth.
Im going to look for some pics and go from there,but it much have not been munchin away for too long as it was only the size of a popcorn seed if not a little smaller.
Ive heard they can get as big as a grape?!!:eek2:

Pappy
03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
east of the mississippi Lyme's is huge. just about everyone knows to save a tick if it bit you and see a doc after the 2 week period.

i know our doctor has told us that any bite that remains red and develops a ring around the bite area should see a doc immediatley. the ring is not always a sure sign, my boss's wife was bitten and after a year of feeling bad she was tested and she had lyme disease.

i wouldnt let it worry ya much, just like anything else, kee an eye on it and roll on.

smr
03-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Dude..you didn't have the tick for 3 days. Most likely it was on some clothes you brought in and got on you later. They itch really bad after a few hours, that's when you found the tick. Most likely you will get a little red bump that will be gone in a few days. If it isn't gone in a week go see a doctor.

I farm as a side job and there is hardly a week goes by that I don't pull a tick off me.

If that tick had been on you for 3 days it would have been blown up like a grape and would have most likely busted when you touched it.

Who ever posted about the 24 hour thing is 100% correct. But if you leave the head that is the same as leaving the tick. (that is how most people get infected)

don't worry about it.

bwamos
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Lyme's Disease is pretty rare this side of the Mississippi. I wouldn't worry much.

I've also probably had a couple hundred ticks in my life as well.. lol. Daily occurence here in the midwest if you leave the sidewalk.

Deer ticks (tiny) are the most common transmitter of Lyme Disease. They get it from Deer Mice.

If it was about 1-2mm in diameter it was probably just a standard wood tick.

Most likley an american dog tick.

Dont worry about it. Just keep an eye on it.

nicker71
03-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Living out in the country in missouri I use to find ticks all the time. No one ever acted like it was a big deal. I wouldnt worry about it.

bwamos
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Here's a couple photos of the ticks in question.

Left is your standard American Dog Tick. The colleration and pattern vary a bit from area to area. This is probably what you found.

Right Top and Bottom is an adult Deer Tick that can carry Lyme's Disease. It's a tiny tick.

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I would be intersted in seeing onecloser up of the one in that guys hand.
Thats more like what I had I think.I done a search and WOW..theres ALOT of dif. kinds of ticks!
it had small legs like that too.

I think I got a bad allergic reaction to the bit cause I had hives all over my neck and face the day that I found it. I thought it was just something to do with the virus I have , but after reading a little I think thats why I broke out in welts.

Im sure Ill be fine , just a little paraniod having a bug sucking on my head:p

450ERRRRRR!
03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Ticks have been around forever along with mankind. If you listen to some people we all would have been dead years ago. If ticks dont kill us then Gobal warming surly will. If you get bit on your other head then it's worth worring about. Keep an eye on it, if after 2 weeks theres no red ring or swelling then forget it. Like I said I've been bitten hunders of times...maybe thats why I cat'n seem toooo seeee reeeal gooood.

Kickstarts-suck
03-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Im sure Ill be fine , just a little paraniod having a bug sucking on my head:p

lol yea i always shake out my blankets and check my bed before i go to sleep after my dog pooped out some ALIVE hook worms in my room :eek2:

She doesn't have worms anymore but i still check my bed :p

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
. If you get bit on your other head then it's worth worring about

LMAO!
FOR SURE!:p

Kickstarts-suck~~ that was NASTY!:blah:

bwamos
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I would be intersted in seeing onecloser up of the one in that guys hand.
Thats more like what I had I think.I done a search and WOW..theres ALOT of dif. kinds of ticks!
it had small legs like that too.

The one on the penny is the same as the small one above it. That is the close up. ;)

An average american dog tick is about the size of a pin head. Or in ATV terms.. about the size of the cotter pin hole in the rear axle. ;) About 2x the size of the itty bitty deer tick.

The dog tick picture is pretty blown up too. A real one is probably about the half the size of the white area on it's back, maybe.

bwamos
03-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Here's a good comparison.

Dog tick next to a dime. So you can compare the size and look.

cletusEX
03-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Yeah I have seen a few cases of lime disease and all had the telltale bullseye. Black center with a red ring. The size ranged from the size of an eraser head to the size of a quarter. Luckily they all were caught early and treated (it is always helpful to have a few doctors in the deer camp :p ) Like everyone said just keep an eye on it and let the doctor know if you have any problems in the future.

Ghost-Rider
03-21-2007, 03:52 PM
If you see a red ring i might worry, but inless you live somewhere known for lyme disease i really wouldnt freak.

AtvMxRider
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Damn you:grr: ..........Well how about the video:devil:

NacsMXer
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
i agree...

LMAO...:p