PDA

View Full Version : 250R Rebuild?

4LEAFCLOVER
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey guys I just bought a 310R from a guy on here and the motor has blown up on me. The motor was built by Trinty Racing and was bored out to a 310. The fellas at my local Honda shop told me that since it's a old quad, 1986 to be exact, parts are very hard to find for it. They said that if I went back with the 310 from Trinity, that would probably be the last time I could go with the 310 because Trinity doesn't offer that any more. They are already charging me like $1700 to fix it and go back with the stock 250 parts. I want more power than a 250, so what would you guys suggest to get a lot of power for mostly drags and wide open racing. I got about $1800 to spend on getting this motor right and running strong. What do you guys suggest?

250r4life
03-20-2007, 06:26 PM
not going to your local honda dealer...

cody_119
03-20-2007, 06:35 PM
maybe try esr, the honda dealer is ripping you off.

4LEAFCLOVER
03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Well I'm in a very small town in Georgia and that's pretty much all I have to go with. I just don't want to put almost $2000 into getting a stock engine. I want some power!!! I want to go fast and a stock 250 isn't going to cut it.

deathman53
03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
that steelership is feeding you alot of crap. They want you to buy a new bike, thats why they are telling you this!!!!!! If you want big power, get a 300/310 pwervalve motor, 38 a/s carb, lrd, sparks, or Esr pipe, trx rad valve. Your motor will be set. A ne cluth might help get the power to the ground. STOP GOING TO THE STEELERSHIP.

kustomfab2003
03-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a complete ESR 310R with a CR 250 ignition and carb on here for $1250 shipped.

-Josh

4LEAFCLOVER
03-21-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, but I think I'm going to go with the monster 380cc from ESR. I'm going to see if I can stop the Honda dealership from doing any work, then get them to send it off to ESR to rebuild the motor for me. Any of you guys on here had any experience with the 380 from ESR?

86 Quad R
03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
your reliability is gonna be crap with that big setup. personally i would go with the generic bolt-on ESR330 and get it ported to your riding style by neil on this site.

draggin-accord
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
your reliability is gonna be crap with that big setup. personally i would go with the generic bolt-on ESR330 and get it ported to your riding style by neil on this site.

DITTO!

4LEAFCLOVER
03-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm going to go with the 330ESR bolt on. From listening to you guys on here, I think that will be the best route for me. Thanks guys. If you guys have any other suggestions please let me know.

03-21-2007, 01:41 PM
get a good pipe/carb/reed set up to go along with the 330, its bad when you see a big bore R but the pipe and carb dont work well with it...talk to neil he knows his stuff! ESR is great company too

draggin-accord
03-21-2007, 02:14 PM
^^^good point.

keep in mind, all the components of the motor need to work together to get the most out of the bike. do your research & pick parts that will work best for your riding. dont just slap x pipe & y carb on it. :cool:

4LEAFCLOVER
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm running a Klein carb on it now along with a FMF pipe. I don't know to much about these 2strokes, this is my 1st one. I hope the FMF and Klein is a good combo with the 330 big bore from ESR. Don't know the size of the Klein carb ither.

draggin-accord
03-21-2007, 03:20 PM
klein or keihin? these are somethings i've learned "most" people say on this site. i'm no expert by any means, but i do alot of research.

as far as pipe most will say get a "better" pipe. a lot of companies tune the pipe for a particular application. high end, mid, low end, something like that. i have found that the fmf gives a nice increase all over the powerband.

carbs - from what i understand 36-38mm carbs are good for woods/ mx style riding, 39mm++ are more for wide open riding. dunes fast trails, etc.

reeds- stiffer reeds (carbon fiber) are more for top end, softer reeds (fiberglass) are for low end.

porting- makes the biggest difference in how your bike will run. the size of the piston alone doesn't make it fast.

86 Quad R
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
more than likely the FMF pipe will not let the larger 330 run to it's full potential. you should get atleast a pipe that is matched up to the porting you have on the cylinder.

the "type porting" is something you to decide on up front before you start to buy anything. your compression decision is important aswell. a much higher compression will give the engine a better bottom end torque but will hurt the revs. a medium compression will be a happy medium so to speak.

as for the current carb that you have...... what slide does it have? round, oval or "D" shaped. to determine the size, you can remove the slide and cap and take measurement to the floor of the carb to the roof.