PDA

View Full Version : tt flat-rack tires

GOTFEAR
03-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I have a mx 350r what tires would i need for tt and flat track racing that would work with both, what rims and tire compound i live on the east coast or more like the carolinas.

7 speed
03-20-2007, 08:44 AM
18X10X10 American Racers rear

18X6X10 American Racers front

Soft compound for loose clay 23 depending

Hard compound for hard clay 44 depending

My advise would be to go to the track and talk to who ever is running in the front and see what they are using.

wilkin250r
03-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Everybody always says "American Racers" or "Hoosiers". I don't agree.

Just like any other type of racing or riding, it depends on the actual track. For example, my local track is sandy and loose. If you run Hoosiers, you'll get smoked. They simply don't have the traction, you're much better off with Holeshots.

Many tracks are hard-pack clay, and the flat tires like Hoosier and American Racers do very well. But not all tracks.

Really, the only way to determine for your local track is to go there and check it out.

C-LEIGH RACING
03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Everybody always says "American Racers" or "Hoosiers". I don't agree.

Just like any other type of racing or riding, it depends on the actual track. For example, my local track is sandy and loose. If you run Hoosiers, you'll get smoked. They simply don't have the traction, you're much better off with Holeshots.

Many tracks are hard-pack clay, and the flat tires like Hoosier and American Racers do very well. But not all tracks.

Really, the only way to determine for your local track is to go there and check it out.

And, you would be surprized what a set of 18X950X8 lawnmower tires would do on a TT track :D .

If we could go back in time to 15 years ago you might could get a good set of Hoosier tires that would stick on dirt, but not today.
Hoosier back in its day was the badest tire you could mount on a rim till the American racer tire came out.
American Racer even good as it is today, you take a set of 23s & dope them down to a 18 compound & on a wet slick track that ol Murray lawnmower tire will leave the American Racer spinning on the starting line, been there & seen it happen, ol 30 dollar mower tire spanked us good, got my attention anyway.
Neil

deathman53
03-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I know the 3 wheeler guys like to use armstrong turfsaver tires, they say they out last and perform all of the others out there. A good tire you could try is a duro hf-245, I use them on my bikes sometimes, for smooth and fast tracks. They would work very good for flat track and they hook up very good and slide out very good and controled. Another tire is otshoa(sp) h-track 902 or 903, but they are long discontinued.

Here are the duro tires

http://www.durotire.com/products/index.cfm?Fuseaction=ProductDetail&productid=246&parent=ATV&productparent=Racing

this is what the otshoa(sp)tires look like. They hook up great going forward, but slide out on demand, you have to be alittle carefull with them, as they go straight or slide out, nothing in between.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0597.JPG.html

Scott-300ex
03-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Soft compound is sticky, but wears out faster.

Hard will mean more tire spin but takes a long time to wear out.

Ask around at your track wut tire to use and some guys might have some old/good ones they want to get rid of, especially the pro's who buy a new set every week or month.

300exQuadracer
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
especially the pro's who buy a new set every week or month.

try sometimes after every race, i know i can fry a set in one main