PDA

View Full Version : 416 back to a 400...

Kansas400ex
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
would i gain any reliability if i took my 400ex with a 416 big bore and replaced it with the stock 400 Cylinder? If so what all would i need for parts... cylinder, stock sized piston, piston pin, gaskets. anything else?

Wheelie
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
IMO--It's not worth it. If a motor is built properly, reliability won't be an issue.

Kansas400ex
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
well this motor wasnt built properly at all so thats why i am considering making the change.

Wheelie
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Rebuild it using the cylinder you have now. While it's apart for the trans repair, a HD cam chain and HD rod would be good insurance.

XtremelyCrazy
03-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Kansas400ex
would i gain any reliability if i took my 400ex with a 416 big bore and replaced it with the stock 400 Cylinder? If so what all would i need for parts... cylinder, stock sized piston, piston pin, gaskets. anything else?

Well, the stock cylinder is dead on reliable.

You'd need everything you listed. If they replaced the cam, or made other mods you may need more stuff. You'll only know once you get into it.

Kansas400ex
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by XtremelyCrazy
Well, the stock cylinder is dead on reliable.

You'd need everything you listed. If they replaced the cam, or made other mods you may need more stuff. You'll only know once you get into it.

it does have a Stage 1 HotCams Cam in it, im am thinking of leaving that in there and just replacing the Cylinder and piston/rings. It has a new Cam Chain it in.

Originally posted by Wheelie
Rebuild it using the cylinder you have now. While it's apart for the trans repair, a HD cam chain and HD rod would be good insurance.

I cant rebuild it using the cylinder i have now it is an aftermarket 41 jug so i would have to buy an all new cylinder.

Does anyone think buying a used on off of Ebay would be fine or would i be better off going with a new on?