PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem!!

PGRAY
03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey guys. Have an 05 Honda and just recently it has been slipping into neutral very easily when going up the gears. It also jams in gear locking the back wheels and the selector just doesnt want to go into neutral. Have spotted bits of metal fillings around it.

Any ideas on wot it is and any help. Thanks

lumi
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
popping out of gear sounds like worn dogs or some bent or worn shift forks.

u will have to tear it apart and see what exactly it is.. but sounds like some bad forks that will cause the shifter to lock in place.
could be the shifter cam has some damage but than again would have to tear into to see what the issue is.

how much hp u running, how do u ride, and how do u shift? also what is the oil u are using

-lumi

PGRAY
03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Not sure wot hp. Have a High comp piston and stage 2 hotcam. Shift without using clutch 99% of th time. Using silkolene oil, would it matter which oil i use?

lumi
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
yea sounds like the dogs might have been worn and the shift forks aswell..

some oils will have more protection than others of course and will not shear more than others, and will cushion the impact better in some instantces.
sounds like the power of the engine and the clutchless shifting has taken its toll on the tranny.

best bet would be to get a service manual and try to do the job urself, as it wont be the biggest hit to the wallet that way.. replace as needed and so on.

-lumi

PGRAY
03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I have a manual but it is in Japanese. Where would i get an English copy? How much do u think the job would cost if it is only th dog an shift forks??

Sjorge450R
03-20-2007, 02:05 PM
well thats not going to help you...lol. Something may have slipped in the tranny as well. it happened on my 300.

lumi
03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PGRAY
I have a manual but it is in Japanese. Where would i get an English copy? How much do u think the job would cost if it is only th dog an shift forks??

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=13804
heres the service manual for 05 trx450r

not sure off the top of my head... but i will get u a price from service honda...

-lumi

PGRAY
03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the link, very useful to have.