PDA

View Full Version : slip on exhaust suggestion

bikegod66
03-19-2007, 07:56 PM
i want to put a different muffler on my 2002 400 ex. all i wanna do is save a little weight and make it sound better. i do not wanna have to worry about rejetting . not concerned with power gains as this thing is plenty fast as it is.

open to all suggestions

drag93ex
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
if you want aftermarket, i think you have to rejet with any pipe you go with.

eaheer
03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
I got the white brothers slip on, with custom headers for my 2002 TRX400EX It sounds good and runs super!

400exrapes
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
well if you want a nice sound you can raise the idle screw a turn to make the idling sounds nicer and take the quiet core off your stock exhaust for the louder noise thats the only suggestion i can give you most companies aim is for power and an aftermarket pipe that added no power probably doesnt exsist.

04exking
03-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Yeah I would have to agree with that advice of taking your quiet core out but I still believe you have to rejet for the added air flow.

Eviltanker
03-20-2007, 07:40 AM
If you remove the quiet core you will not have to rejet. I would suggest if you want to be louder you might as well go aftermarket and rejet, only takes about an hour to do it right with a plug chop. After you pipe and jet you will be glad you did. It will wake up the quad.

krt400ex
03-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
well if you want a nice sound you can raise the idle screw a turn to make the idling sounds nicer and take the quiet core off your stock exhaust for the louder noise thats the only suggestion i can give you most companies aim is for power and an aftermarket pipe that added no power probably doesnt exsist.

i wouldn't recommend that. i tried it on mine and it sounded like a 300 pound man that has been eating cabbage all day farting into a mega phone...IMO sounds like crap.

i would probably just go with the yosh s/o with the spark arrestor installed and the airbox lid on. you will be a little lean but not so much that it will really hurt your performance. it will have a throatier sound but not be that loud

Eviltanker
03-20-2007, 08:45 AM
with the yosh and just a spark arrester you will be able to putt around your yard. If you want to really trail ride then you would be smart to rejet. It will help with cooling(lean engines run hotter) you could possibly do alot of damage to your engine over time from running lean.Thats your call though.Remember even though it's a slip on, If exhaust goes out faster you gotta put more fuel in faster.

krt400ex
03-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
with the yosh and just a spark arrester you will be able to putt around your yard. If you want to really trail ride then you would be smart to rejet. It will help with cooling(lean engines run hotter) you could possibly do alot of damage to your engine over time from running lean.Thats your call though.Remember even though it's a slip on, If exhaust goes out faster you gotta put more fuel in faster.

i agree...i recommended the yoshi though because they are most choked up with the s/a installed

mod440ex
03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
my friend has an hmf slipon its sweet. It came with the appropriate jets that you will need

400exrapes
03-21-2007, 06:40 AM
yeah im not sure the jets that come with the hmf slip on are right for everyone it depends on elevation for me the 165 is way too fat and is probably the same mostly everyone here

Eviltanker
03-21-2007, 07:21 AM
The jets that come with it are not right. They are close but no cigar. They sent me a 152 main and I actually run a 160.