PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

Ruby Soho
03-19-2007, 02:58 PM
This should be the last questions for awile..

I want to know, if I were to get HD studs and I choose GT Thunder to do it for me, I know i need to send the cylinder out right? If I have them install them, they drill it and such ready for it to be put back together. Do they machine the flat surface on the cylinder? I might have a warped head due to 2 blown gaskets, so while they install that would they machine it? Also would I need to send my top end to be machined also?

04exking
03-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I would contact them and I am sure that they would do it for free but I would just ask them to make sure.

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey Ruby, I noticed in your sig that you have a stage 3 cam, what compression are you running with that.

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Im not sure.. I need to find a compression tester. I figure its gotta be kinda high, thats a stroker cam

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I think thats why your blowing head gaskets. I would have bought the head studs first just to be on the safe side. Next, I would get your comp checked ASAP to see what your running, this is my opinion but the only time I would run a stage 3 is when the motor is fully modded with everything. But as long as it's giving you the gains you want then I'd keep it.

One more thing, I see that you dont have an exhaust yet, definently get one cus that will benefit your cam alot more. I know its on your list.

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 02:01 PM
so you think the reason is because to high compression? or because its a stage 3?

If i were to lower my compression (that is if its high) i would need a hole new piston correct?

Also, i bought the quad with a stage 3.. I personally would have went stage 2 at most if i was going to modify my engine. I would be plenty fine with a stock cam to tell you the truth, so downgrading wouldnt really be a problem.

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Sense I dont know your comp I really can't tell if it's that or not, it might be both for all I know. If my comp was over 12:1 then i'd use a stage 3 but if it's more like 11:5:1 something like that, then i'd use a stage 2 you still would feel power gains everywhere.

As for a new piston when lowering comp, I think you might have to get a new piston with rings, just so everything is new. I think but i'm not for sure.

I can't belive that the person that had the quad before you did'nt know enough to put HD studs in, thats like a number 1 rule when modding up a motor.

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 02:21 PM
thanks. you and gpracer2500 are the only people really helpful to me..and that have actually tried to help:D

once i take my topend off, im going to get the # ontop of the piston and match it to one on wiseco's site.. that shouild tell me the comp right?

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 03:04 PM
your welcome for the help, i'm always on here if you need a question just PM me and i'll be glad to help.

I just was on the Wiseco site and you should be able to find your piston on there, if you have trouble i'll help ya out.

The number I think should start with a 4 at the begining

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 03:21 PM
:) thanks

one more question..

if i were to get my cylinder machined (flattened) and my topend, because of warp, would i need a thicker gasket?

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
I think would have to say Yes, cus your taking extra metal off an already stock cylinder to get the warp out so you have to make that up by adding a thicker head gasket, otherwise you would be bumping up your comp again. It wouldn't be much though depending on how bad the warp is, it probably would be only a couple thousandths of an inch.

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 03:59 PM
ya, that makes sense. what gasket, and where would i get it?

i have a new factory gasket (3layermetal) on its way to my dealer coming in tommorow.. so i guess it all depends on what my piston/comp is. and i find that out tommorow when she comes apart:chinese:

i just wish this f***** thing would run properly, cause when it is running good it runs GREAT.

i was also thinking, i was readin up on gt thunder's website and they reccomend threadlocker (high temp etc.. meant for engine parts) to hold studs in.. would that work for my stock studs? and then i just do a routine check on them more often to see if everything's holding up good..:confused:

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Cosmetic makes a good gasket, but other than that one I really don't know who makes a good gasket.

I have to get my valves checked on my quad otherwise mine would be running great know, first time I'm ever gonna check them it's been three years.

To be honest with you Ruby I would just go and buy the HD studs from GT Thunder it will save you alot of money in the long run, thats if you want to go that route. I don't see why not threadlocker would work on stock studs every little thing helps, but in the future I would definently buy HD studs, you will have alot less blown gaskets and fatigue on the motor.

But get back to me about what comp your running just so I know?

I feel like a moron calling people by there profile name, just wondering what your name is? mines Dallas
I feel more comfortable calling people by there real name instead of a crazy profile name.

Ruby Soho
03-20-2007, 08:34 PM
hah, ill keep you updated.

my name is joe. ruby soho is a song, and people call me ruby.. one time someone thought i was a chick :huh hah

Honda#4
03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok Joe thanks, Hey I was wondering if I could get your vote if possible for QOTM this month, I only want a couple votes for my quad and i'll be a happy man.

Ruby Soho
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
sure thing man

Honda#4
03-21-2007, 12:55 PM
thanks