PDA

View Full Version : messed up clutch!!!

billyblaster
10-06-2002, 05:14 PM
Ok today my friend was riding his 400ex and his clutch cable felt like it snapped....so we brought it to his house in the truck, looked at the cable it IS NOT snapped, but it feels like it is......and there is like no tension on the lever. Has this happened to anyone??.....thanks.

crashinmatt
10-06-2002, 05:38 PM
it sounds like the clutch lifter pin. i had the exact same thing happen to mine. about a month and a half ago. what u need to do is take off the clutch side cover. look at the clutch and ull see the lifter pin.ull most likely find that the head of the pin is broken off. u need to take the clutch loose by takin out the bolts and springs. and the pin will be able to be removed from the pressure plate. then u have to remove the head outta the case. put a new one in and reassemble. hope this helps.

GoingBig
10-06-2002, 06:39 PM
this just happened to me a week ago..its the lifter pin.its not hard to replace.i fliped my quad on its side then took off the cover.this will keep all your fluids in there and i thought it was easier to work on that way. iff the head of the lifter pin is stuck in the cover just rotate theclutch bracket all the way to the left and it should fall out..good luck..

Leo
10-07-2002, 05:07 AM
yup, sounds like a broken lifter pin..

if you need a hand changing it and dames quotes you some crazy $$, drag it down here, I'll help you change it for a 12 pack ;) I'm about 35-40 minutes south of you.

Leo

billyblaster
10-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Leo
yup, sounds like a broken lifter pin..

if you need a hand changing it and dames quotes you some crazy $$, drag it down here, I'll help you change it for a 12 pack ;) I'm about 35-40 minutes south of you.

Leo
Ya my friend has like 600 bucks to spend on mods....(he was gunna order a lrd pipe and other things) but now his dad said he has to use that money and have Dames fix it. It might still be on the 3 year extended warranty, and it might not.......we hope it is so he can buy the mods.

Leo
10-08-2002, 08:48 PM
I guess your a little young for the 12-pack part of the deal..

grab a sidecover gasket + lifter pin from dame's and I'll help you put it in cause I'm a nice guy. :D

if you take it to the shop I wouldn't think it'll be more than an hours labor + parts..

Leo