PDA

View Full Version : New guy to the hobbie

Benjithx
03-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me say thanks to everyone on the forum and all the mods because this forum has already answered many questions for me via search. Exriders.com is a great forum filled with tons of info and has quickly become one of my favorites.

I have had a couple bikes in my life, but never raced or did any crazy jumping or anything like that. I am 23 years old and 6'2" (if it matters) and am about to buy my first ATV. I think the quad for me is a 400ex, but my neighbor is telling me to get a 450r. The thing is I am going to buy a used one and don't want to spend much more than $3k and I feel that the 400ex will be more than enough for my field/woods/trail riding needs.

I am looking for some insight on the real world differences between the two and your thoughts about what is right for me.

Also, assuming I end up buying a 400ex, can someone help me decipher any changes over the years of production? I am looking for an answer like this (ex. make sure you get a 02+ because they started putting this or that on the bike and it really makes a difference or don't get a 99 or older because they have valve issues). I am sure you guys know what I mean.

And then of course if you know of anyone selling a 400ex near the Seattle area let me know as I search the listings.

Thanks a ton guys!

400exrider707
03-19-2007, 12:47 PM
You cant go wrong with any 400ex. They are all good, and none have had any major issues. Just check the logical stuff. 05+ they have new plastic design and also added reverse and changed the gearing slightly. I prefer the look of the older ones myself, but thats preference. A 400ex is a great learning bike, and they are virtually indestructible.

Gray33
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
ya sir, If i were you i would just go with a 1999 honda 400ex which run for like 1000-2500 dollars. In my opinion honda 450-R's are for racing. But thats my opinion.

Honda 400exs are pretty nice trail bikes and if you are just goin to be messing around in your field i would go with a 400ex but if you want to pay 1-2 grand more go with the 450 -r. Dont count me wrong i love the 450-R's. And i to was in your same boat. I ended goin with the 450-r because i am goin to get into mx racing. i am buying one used for 3500 and it came with a aftermarket pipe,nerf and front. You could get a really nice 400ex and bore it out to be a 440 and probly be alot cheaper then the 450. I have a suggestion buy a honda 400ex and a 450-R. lol..hope you make the right descion for you.

Enjoy riding!

Benjithx
03-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow,

Let me tell you guys that I am completely astonished with the positive response and attitude that you guys have. It is refreshing to hear how welcoming you guys are and how willing you guys are to help a new guy out.

I have been on many different forums for a long time now and it is crazy how some of them are almost worthless to post on because of the poor attitudes of the members.

I own a 2004 M3 and am on M3Forum.com and those guys are awesome. (not stuck up or rude at all) They would get a 8/10

I plan on buying a new Toyota Tacoma and am on TTORA.com to learn before I buy. Unbelievable how rude these guys are. Every reply is some sort of flaming. Hard to sort through the BS to get to the info. They would get a 2/10

Their are several others I could rate, but I just wanted to set a standard so when I gave ATVRIDERS.COM a 10/10!!! You guys would know where I am coming from

You guys have helped me big time already and I am very excited to get into this hobby and meet others like yourselves.

THANKS
-Ben

Gray33
03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
post your descion so we all know what u went with..

double posted...sorry i edited

Gray33
03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
hey man ya i was surpised to this website has also helped me out to. SO what descion did you make the nice 400ex or the "king" of all racers 450-R. lol or did you buy both

-l8er

taino_racing
03-20-2007, 09:23 PM
they are both great bikes i first got a 06 400ex and love it.We ride mostly at crooms,florida and they have a lot of hills and you can only go up or down on some of the very narrow trail ,here the reverse shine!!!Riding the 07 450r-white is awsome but when u get stuck and have to get off the bike and push it back(no reverse on 450r) both are great bikes , i thought i would never say this but my 450r kicks butt.

BlaineKaiser450
03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
a 400ex would be great for you! a 450r is a race bike

miami305
03-28-2007, 09:46 AM
THIS FORUM IS AWESOME EVERYBODY IS VERY HELPFUL. THEY HELPED ME COME UP WITH ME DECISION BETWEEN THE 400 AND 450 I WENT WITH THE O7 450. THAT IS A BAD *** MACHINE I LOVE IT AND ITS EXCELLENT IN TRAILS FOR ME. EXCEPT FOR THE REVERSE THING BUT I GOT USED TO IT. U CANT GO WRONG WITH EIGHTER MY FRIEND HAS A 400 AND LOVES IT. GOOD LUCK MAN