PDA

View Full Version : New guy to the hobbie

Benjithx
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me say thanks to everyone on the forum and all the mods because this forum has already answered many questions for me via search. Exriders.com is a great forum filled with tons of info and has quickly become one of my favorites.

I have had a couple bikes in my life, but never raced or did any crazy jumping or anything like that. I am 23 years old and 6'2" (if it matters) and am about to buy my first ATV. I think the quad for me is a 400ex, but my neighbor is telling me to get a 450r. The thing is I am going to buy a used one and don't want to spend much more than $3k and I feel that the 400ex will be more than enough for my field/woods/trail riding needs.

I am looking for some insight on the real world differences between the two and your thoughts about what is right for me.

Also, assuming I end up buying a 400ex, can someone help me decipher any changes over the years of production? I am looking for an answer like this (ex. make sure you get a 02+ because they started putting this or that on the bike and it really makes a difference or don't get a 99 or older because they have valve issues). I am sure you guys know what I mean.

And then of course if you know of anyone selling a 400ex near the Seattle area let me know as I search the listings.

Thanks a ton guys!

GraphicDisorder
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
400ex is a great bike. Sure a 450r is going to be better but you wont be getting a 450r for 3k I doubt. So stick with the 400ex. Try to get a 05 and up if you can which gets you reverse. There plenty of parts out there for 400's to make them a really mean bike.

hornetgod13
03-19-2007, 01:15 PM
2005 and Newer 400EXs have redesigned plastics and head lights and the addition of a Reverse gear and lower sprocket gearing for a bit more low end torque. An 05 or Newer quad may cost you a little more but, I'd have to say it well worth it.

svahle
03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the sport. This topic could probably be debated for pages, but here is my brief response.

The 450r no doubt has more power and better suspension stock. They also cost more. You will probably spend more like $4000 to get a 450r and this will probably be a 2004 (kick start only). Some newer 450s have electric start, but you won't get one for around $3k.

The 400ex is a great all around quad and is known to be very reliable. The only major changes were made in 2005 when the plasitcs were updated. Reverse was also added and I believe that happened in 2005 also (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Just because the 450r has more power doesn't mean it is faster in all types of riding. The the field and more open areas the 450r will shine. In the woods and tighter trails, both will be comperable with regard to speed. My buddy and I are fairly even in riding ability. He can't pull away from me on my 416ex (he rides a YFZ450 and a 350R power valve).

Sounds to me like you should get a 400ex. But, only you can make the decision. I would ride both and see if the 450r is worth the extra initial expense.

Just my $.02. Good luck with the decision.

svahle
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah, another thing, you posted this in the 400ex forum so you will get biased responses. If posted in the 450r forum all will say get the 450r its worth the extra expense. Bottom line is, if money weren't the issue, we would probably all be riding 450s (or tricked out 2-strokes).

Benjithx
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Great information guys, keep it coming.

northwest Texas
03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
There's nothing wrong with either machine. However given what you said you'd ride, I'd opt for the 400EX first and if the time comes you can upgrade. If you buy an older one, it's not going to depreciate much at all so the cost to own would be small.

I bought my 400EX off my b-i-l because I didn't know what I wanted. I looked at the V-Force 700, Raptors, YFZ's, Z400's, etc and in the end it came down to comfort. I could ride his quad and it felt like an extension of my body so I "took" it off his hands when he got "newcaritis" and bought a DVX400. Best decision I made, so far.

If when the time comes you want to mod, do suspension first and there's a HUGE surplus of used parts for the old 400's.

As for the differences, that's been covered already and the ol 400 is bulletproof for the most part. I don't think you'd be displeased with either the 450 or the 400 but the 400 may be a little more fun as you get started into the ATV sport.

Benjithx
03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Wow,

Let me tell you guys that I am completely astonished with the positive response and attitude that you guys have. It is refreshing to hear how welcoming you guys are and how willing you guys are to help a new guy out.

I have been on many different forums for a long time now and it is crazy how some of them are almost worthless to post on because of the poor attitudes of the members.

I own a 2004 M3 and am on M3Forum.com and those guys are awesome. (not stuck up or rude at all) They would get a 8/10

I plan on buying a new Toyota Tacoma and am on TTORA.com to learn before I buy. Unbelievable how rude these guys are. Every reply is some sort of flaming. Hard to sort through the BS to get to the info. They would get a 2/10

Their are several others I could rate, but I just wanted to set a standard so when I gave ATVRIDERS.COM a 10/10!!! You guys would know where I am coming from

You guys have helped me big time already and I am very excited to get into this hobby and meet others like yourselves.

Also, If someone knows of a 400ex that could be shipped out to me or near Washington let me know

THANKS
-Ben

400exrapes
03-19-2007, 10:21 PM
450r's and the 450's are the fastest of the sport quads everyone pretty much knows but you stated your a trail/woods rider i would definatley go with the newer reverse 400ex's there the best trail quads-reliability is with honda-the performance is great you wont go wrong with the 400ex.

hornetgod13
03-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by svahle
Bottom line is, if money weren't the issue, we would probably all be riding 450s (or tricked out 2-strokes).

I would have bought a 450R if it had reverse. That was the deciding factor for me. I'm happy I bought my 400EX. I mostly trail ride and hill climb and my quad hasn't let me down yet. In my opinion, it was money well spent.

04exking
03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
If you were planning on racing in a while I would spend the little extra cash because you can get them for a little over 4k now. I love my 400ex and keeping up with the 450s but in the end they just blow me away. I would highly stress getting the 450 over the 400ex because after a year of riding you will want to step it up a bit and then it costs a lot more money to get a 400ex race ready over a 450r and you still have to try to keep up with them but it is all about the rider so good luck with your purchase.

03-20-2007, 05:02 AM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/MYVVR-goodvsevil2.JPG

i have both as you can see. i love my 450r for the power, but i am faster on the trails on the 400ex...the suspension on the r is too stiff for what i ride, i need it revalved by derisi, c&d, or gt thunder.

i ride mostly trails that has some jumps on them, the trails are fairly tight with some wide open spaces. i was actually trying to sell the r so i could go back to the ex a few months ago.

the r is high strung and likes to rev high. the rpms need to be up so it don't stall...this can make some trail obstacles difficult if you cannot hit them at a high speed...ro whne you are on that family ride where the pace is slower...there is a lot of throttle and clutch work needed...

as far as reverse goes, not necessary i.m.o. i had a 300ec with reverse bofore i got the 400ex. the 400ex was oiut for 4 years before i bought one used...i didn't wanna give up the reverse...i haven't missed it, usually i am turned around and ready to roll beofre the guys with reverse...just find a slight hill, pull up it and let gravity pull ya back, or the rear end is light enough to just yank it around...

if you have any other comparison questions, feel free to send me a pm, i'll answer them them the best that i can