PDA

View Full Version : Questions on New Crank installation

400exrider707
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok guys and girls, I have both of my new crank bearings installed and am now trying to put the two case halves together. I currently am looking at putting the crank into the bearings. I do not have the correct honda tool or even a knock off crank puller. What other ways can I do this. I know I can press it in, but is that really such a good idea? I dont know how keen I am on pressing the somewhat brittle cases. Any other thoughts/tips/tricks? Thanks.:macho

Rulz
03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Freeze the case/bearing for an hour, the crank will fall right in.

Scro
03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Rulz
Freeze the case/bearing for an hour, the crank will fall right in.

I've never done it, but I've heard this is the easiest way.

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 07:17 AM
I froze it four two hours and also placed the bushings and bearings in front of an electric heater and it still didn't "fall" in, but it made it much eaiser, and I could lightly tap it in. Thanks guys.

Chino886
03-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I froze it four two hours and also placed the bushings and bearings in front of an electric heater and it still didn't "fall" in, but it made it much eaiser, and I could lightly tap it in. Thanks guys.

Your supposed to be taking pictures and doing a well written step-by-step so I don't have to ask the same questions as you are.

:devil:

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
Your supposed to be taking pictures and doing a well written step-by-step so I don't have to ask the same questions as you are.

:devil:

You know what, even though I didn't label a darn thing and I had parts at three different places.... this is going rediculously easy. I didn't actually bolt the cases together yet, so I will get some pics and post them all... I have a complete build going on from the cases being split going all the way to a-arms and axle, as well as new tires, hood, bumper, skids, and the list goes on and on... I think I will snap some pics on wednesday when I go back out, and I will post them as I go along on this build. If you do have any questions, please feel free to PM me, Im on here for nearly 5 hours a day at work.... haha

chad502ex
03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
sorry to jump in late, but the advise for freezing the crank works well...

seems as though your good to go....:macho

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
sorry to jump in late, but the advise for freezing the crank works well...

seems as though your good to go....:macho

I do have one more question though. When I put in the little oil pump drive, should I be able to turn that eccentric by hand? It doesn't seem to budge by hand, and the manual says nothing about it being tight or hard to turn. Thanks.

chad502ex
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I do have one more question though. When I put in the little oil pump drive, should I be able to turn that eccentric by hand? It doesn't seem to budge by hand, and the manual says nothing about it being tight or hard to turn. Thanks.

you need to buy a new one then...

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 10:12 AM
you need to buy a new one then...

Its not frozen up or anything, it will slide right out... I guess I just dont understand how it works? Why would it work fine, and not now? Could someone (YOU CHAD!) please explain to me how it works exactly? haha, thanks:blah:

Also nothing appears broken about it and it seems a new one would do the same thing... you would think an older one with wear on it would move easier than a new one?

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 10:17 AM
This is what I am talking about for anyone who might not follow...

photo courtesy of chad:cool:

Also just a NOTE: pic is of an 06 450ER, and my ride is an 05 450R, so there are differences, but the part Im referring too works the same way.

Chino886
03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
I noticed that on tear down, there is no way that it appeared to turn while assembled.

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Chino886
I noticed that on tear down, there is no way that it appeared to turn while assembled.

Ok thanks. I just needed some reaffirmation. Nothing looks damaged or broken, and it slips in and out super easy, but I was just wondering how it works, seeing as I can not turn it by hand, does it really require that much force to turn? Like I said, I guess I'm not 100% clear on how it works exactly.

Chino886
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I was dumbfounded by that also!

chad502ex
03-20-2007, 11:45 AM
the offset oil pump center shaft is spun off the driven CounterBalancer gear on the flywheel side.

the pump outer and inner is suppose to freely spin meshing the inner gear part squishing the oil into the passages..

400exrider707
03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
the offset oil pump center shaft is spun off the driven CounterBalancer gear on the flywheel side.

the pump outer and inner is suppose to freely spin meshing the inner gear part squishing the oil into the passages..

I suppose Ill have to take another look at it.