PDA

View Full Version : Fox Shocks- off an 06 Predator ,troy lee.

interceptorz28
03-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Hey all,
I have a question about Fox shocks off an 06 Predator. My friend got rid of his predator and gave his front shocks to my other friend to put onto his Raptor 700.
Now they are on there and he has been ridin it with the preload all the way out. But, they are too long and he sits too high now. The shocks are really good and much better than the stock Raptor shocks, but he needs to fix it to be the right ride height.
What can he do? Can he have the Fox's redone to fit or does he have to buy ones that are the correct length?
I dont know if the Fox shocks are really good or not. They have a lot of room to install triple rates.
I think he might be better off throwing in a set of yzf shocks.
What should I tell him?

interceptorz28
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
bump

bwamos
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Most shock builders can modify the shocks to the correct stroke. If it's sitting too high.. odds are the a-arm is binding at the bottom of the stroke. That will cause premature failure of the ball joints. Not a good thing.

I'd have it fixed asap.
But for the price of modifying the shock + the origional cost, you may be able to buy a true aftermarket shock. I'd compare both options before making a decision.

GE4x4
03-22-2007, 03:47 PM
The problem is, the Polaris shocks are 18.5" eye to eye while the Raptor is only 15.5. So a 3" longer shock won't work. If you take all pre-load out, then you have no down movement.

interceptorz28
03-23-2007, 09:27 AM
yes, yes I know that the shock is the wrong length. Keep in mind that it is my friends raptor , not mine.
Are these shocks worth it to have rebuilt for the raptor? I dont know if Fox shocks are really good or just pieces o crap. Are these long travel shocks? Becuase there is so much thread room at the top of them.

440exnacsracer
03-23-2007, 07:25 PM
well, if he decides to go an easier route, let me know, i wouldnt mind puttin them on my 03

SVTPete
03-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I think with a 3 inch difference if he is going to spend money on redoing the shocks he should just put plus 2 a arms on instead. This would probably solve two problems at once!

interceptorz28
03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
440exnacsrace, I will mention that too him. I keep telling him to just throw on a set of yfz shocks. What could you offer him?

Would +2's really even everything out perfect? He may want to do that.

440exnacsracer
03-26-2007, 07:47 PM
putting on longer a arms alone will only further complicate the problem. the only way aftermarket a arms will help is if he gets long travel a arms designed for 19" shocks. the 1/2 difference wont matter and he could set the pre load on the shock all the way out to make a decent combination on +2 a arms. id like to buy them, but it would be a few weeks. got alot going on right now

XtremelyCrazy
03-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Most shock builders can modify the shocks to the correct stroke. If it's sitting too high.. odds are the a-arm is binding at the bottom of the stroke. That will cause premature failure of the ball joints. Not a good thing.

I'd have it fixed asap.
But for the price of modifying the shock + the origional cost, you may be able to buy a true aftermarket shock. I'd compare both options before making a decision.

What bwamos said.

For the rebuild option, I can highly recommend GT Thunder. Quality work, fast turn around.

But like bwamos said, compare GT Thunders price with something new.