PDA

View Full Version : KFX450 Early Problems???

xraven35
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
A friend of mine got a brand new KFX450 and took it out for one ride and he told me (I wasn't there) that theres a seal on his shifter that might of blew out and its leaking oil. Anyone else have this problem?

I dont want to jump to conclusions, could of been a freak incident but just checking to see if anyone else ran into this.

xraven35
03-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Oh, he also told me that he took his airbox lid off and took out his baffle and it seems to struggle w/ that, bogging a little bit, "no back pressure" He said he put the airbox lid back on and it seemed to clear it up a bit. This is probably where a cherry bomb type of product would come in handy.

xraven35
03-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Ohh yeah... one more thing. He also said that he was on the silt hills and powering through whoops and the suspension really really worked well. Another guy had an LTR with him and the KFX suspension worked better. He said the KFX also handled VERY well.

Anyone else have things to add. All in all it sounds like a pretty solid machine "out of the box".

feature05
03-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Damn that sucks, I rode mine really hard today and everything went fine. I hope that doesn't happen to me though, knock on wood. Ah, warranty will fix it though. Tell your buddy don't let that get him down about it.

Varmit57
03-19-2007, 09:59 AM
I picked mine up on Saturday! :D:D:D

As I was checking it over at the dealer before I took it home I noticed that a few of the clamps on the throttle body were not in the groves right.

We looseend them and straightened them out, but that is the only issues that i have found.

I'm taking it to Little Sahara this weekend so well see how it works!

stkflkr
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Little sahara??? Where is that??

LTR450_#67
03-20-2007, 03:56 AM
It's in Oklahoma

Varmit57
03-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Wanhoka, OK (http://www.waynoka.com)

Its a great place to Ride!

jamiesel
03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got mine broke in and a few times when I was hard on the throttle, when I came off I can hear some resonating (slight moan) until I took it out of gear. Pulling in the clutch had no effect. I am going to drop it off at the dealer for ther first service today and see if they can get it to do this. The oil needs to be changed, sometimes metal shavings floating around can get gears to want to stick or perhaps a bit of metal in between the clutch basket? EIther way, I bought a 4 year warranty.

atvmxr
03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
little sahara is flippin awesome, I used to go up there a week at a time a couple times per year. Kermit is good too!:D

xraven35
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
update: It wasnt actually a seal at the shifter. The FACTORY "forgot" to put a bearing on the inside of the motor at the shifter.

Bad.

One_Bad_400
03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
haha.. thats really wierd that they would forget that... better make sure the piston is in there

stkflkr
03-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Little Sahara eh? In Ok? Thats cool a bit too far for me to go . I live in Oregon home of some of the best dunes in America....or so I'm told. You all should come out to Florence Oregon for the 2007 DUNEFEST

stkflkr
03-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I am thinking about getting one of these but I'm torn between a KFX450 and a Rptor 700. It sounds like Kawasaki did a crappy job putting these things together. I'm a bit leery to buy now. How does it perform??

bwamos
03-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by stkflkr
I am thinking about getting one of these but I'm torn between a KFX450 and a Rptor 700. It sounds like Kawasaki did a crappy job putting these things together. I'm a bit leery to buy now. How does it perform??

I haven't seen this. 1 reported actual problem from the factory. And that one should be (hopefully) a one off fluke.

No matter what quad you get.. NEVER.. EVER.. trust the dealership assembly. ;) Always go back over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything is as it should be.

TWILES
03-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I've bought 4 atv's and one dirtbike and my truck new. The only one that I had a problem with was the WR. The problem was with the carb and it turned out that the gas was bad and had been for a while. I took it back and it ran fine for them. I got it home and same thing. I took the carb off, drained ALL the gas I could find anywhere out of the system, took the bowl off the carb and blew everything that had a hole in it out and never had another problem.

The bearing not being there sucks since the inner cases have to be split to replace it meaning that you lose the initial ring setting BUT what happens if some weird thing goes wrong in a week and you didn't get the oil changed yet and it needed it 15 minutes ago? It would be like having a car wreck in Kentucky. You can plow someone who doesn't have insurance and its their fault no matter what. They could die...its their fault. You don't get your oil changed...sorry bud, our screw-up is going to cost you $900.

Which 450?
03-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by stkflkr

Man, I know a bunch of guys with 700 rappy's I would buy ANYTHING over that piece of junk. Always something going wrong with it. And expensive stuff, like SENSORS, and the ECU going up!

xraven35
03-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah I know, they have to split the case. My friend is going to demand a whole new motor or a whole new quad.

I feel bad for him. But thats just unacceptable. I hope they ATLEAST give him a whole new motor. Im sure its just a fluke though, I wouldnt sway anyone away from buying one.

TWILES
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by xraven35
Yeah I know, they have to split the case. My friend is going to demand a whole new motor or a whole new quad.

I feel bad for him. But thats just unacceptable. I hope they ATLEAST give him a whole new motor. Im sure its just a fluke though, I wouldnt sway anyone away from buying one.

I've never heard of anyone getting a new motor. Most of the time they want to repair it. He should get a new bike.

jamiesel
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
UPDATE: Got it back from the dealer and they said that they could find nothing wrong with it. I wanted a documented first service anyway. I will hammer it next ride. We will see.

SET THE STAGE
03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
not sure if anyone answered the airbox lid question yet because i'm too lazy to read all the responses, but i'm told most quads from the factory are set to run a bit lean. taking the lid off would make it run even MORE lean. so that could be why it was running really weird without it.

KingpinsEx
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Ya i am still a bit weary of the F.I. in quads. With all the reports of the Kawi's being hard starting and my buddies Raptor 700 had nothing but problems with his F.I. Not sure if its something concerning the break in period or not, but it doesnt seem like they should be having any problems starting....

I know I have very rarely experienced starting/running problems with the good old fashoned carbs. And if you do its a simple fix, instead of taking it to the dealer everytime its not running right. It's great that they are furthering the sport, but im not sure this is something that is really needed..... Two thumbs up on the frame though!

DVXDUDE
03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
was is the stock warrenty on it?? 6 months?

i'd definatly buy atleast an extra 2 year warrenty on a first year quad

they make aftermarket pipes for it yet? or a cherry bomb for like the ltr?