PDA

View Full Version : Not a good impression with the DRX's

riding4fun
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
So we broke the 50 and 90 in all week in order to go riding today..

Today we take them out to do some serious riding. Half way throught the day we lose an exhause flange bolt on the 50.

Then not more than 10 minutes later the 90 exhaust pipe breaks. Day's over before it started. Big bummer. Take a look, how or why did this happen. Hopefully DRR will take care of this.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/IMG_2765.jpg

Thanks everybody

Darrell

bulldogfallon
03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
We have been pounding our DRR for over a year with no issues at all...

Use thread lock on your bolts to make sure they stay put..

Have you contacted your dealer about the 90 exhaust breakage?

If they can't help you let me know and I will work on it for you asap.

forgiven
03-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Looks like the plastic is melted by the pipe as well in the background.

AFROracing
03-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Lou and I discussed the breakage of the exhaust. I am pretty sure they are gonna start adding a bracket back there.. I am gonna fabricate one for ours!

forgiven
03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
If you look at how it is attached at the back it looks like it was flexed coming from the factory. Prolly fine with no stresses on it but you can see the angle it is sitting at with the rear bolts. I am curious to see what DRR does since I was just going to pull the trigger on one.

riding4fun
03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Bulldog,
Yes I contacted them and he said he would take care of it :).

Forgiven,
I didn't notice that but will have to take a second look when I get home. Thanks

AFROracing,
Did yours break in the same place? Can you make me one also, hahahaha.

Darrell

bulldogfallon
03-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by forgiven
If you look at how it is attached at the back it looks like it was flexed coming from the factory. Prolly fine with no stresses on it but you can see the angle it is sitting at with the rear bolts. I am curious to see what DRR does since I was just going to pull the trigger on one.

The exhaust pipe and silencer are not connected from the factory.

DRR will stand behind the issues which I believe is what defines a company.

If this will be a chronic issue I would look for a fix right away.

forgiven
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM
I am not pointing the finger at anyone or saying it is one persons fault or another. Just pointing out what I am seeing from the pics. I could be wrong but just posted it to see if the way I am looking at it is correct. I am a little concerned about melted pink plastic since it hasn't even been on the quad a week and it is melted. Perhaps some high temp reflective tape or something. Since they were aftermarket...perhaps the stocker had it and the aftermarkets didn't.

Livin4Real
03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
As far as the exhaust, actually this is common among just about all the mini's until the frame and other components are gusseted. There is just too much flex in the frame stock.Aftermarket pipes are more flexible utilizing pipe springs and seperate pipe pieces in stressful sections. And the first thing that should be done with any mini is to go through and loctite everything.

riding4fun
03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
OK guys,

This is the reason I went with DRR, customer support. I called my dealer this morning and sent him pictures. He called me back after he called Lou and said there have been 3 or 4 breaks and the problem is being addressed. He said they will be designing a new pipe and will send it to me and anybody else that has had this problem. The only thing is it could be a month or two before the new pipe is ready.

In the meantime he is sending me the last model pipe to get me by. As far as the plastic is concerned I will have to check later to see actual damage, i'm sure it will be replaced if it bad enough.

And yes it was my bad not to loc-tite the bolts.

Thanks

Darrell

P.S. Just so everybody understands me, the subject of this thread doesn't mean i'm dissatisified with DRR. Things happen.

Andyman17dad
03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
We had the same problem last year with the exhaust flange bolts and I heard of several others doing the same thing. I changed the bolts and loctited the heck out of them and they were never aproblem again.

I have seen quite a few of the silencers break off as well, but usually right at the silencer itself. (Which I was happy to see that new clamp on there for that, but I guess it just moved the problem down the line a bit.

Keep an eye on your choke knob, I have seen a few of them, last year, work themselves loose and will cause you hours of searching for why the thing won't stay running.

The DRX's are very durable,from my experience with them, but nothing is perfect!!!

forgiven
03-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the update Darrell!

riding4fun
03-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Well, I just got home and checked her quad. Bad news, it burnt a hole through the plastic. The plastic was stuck to the battery, not good.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/IMG_2769.jpg

Geez. just my luck.

Darrell

Steven623
03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
our single a-arm model broke right in front of muffler, welded it and never had another problem. the 50 has a mount on rear of pipe that a bolt goes through the hole about front end area of muffler? Do the 90's not have the same mount? I can see in the picture that there isn't any bolt in the upper hole? I thought our original 50 broke from standing it up to work on it?

austinm400
03-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Mine has a bracket that is welded to the pipe and is bolted to the tab above were the muffler bolts to the frame. Ill try to get some pics of it.

Originally posted by riding4fun
So we broke the 50 and 90 in all week in order to go riding today..

Today we take them out to do some serious riding. Half way throught the day we lose an exhause flange bolt on the 50.

Then not more than 10 minutes later the 90 exhaust pipe breaks. Day's over before it started. Big bummer. Take a look, how or why did this happen. Hopefully DRR will take care of this.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/IMG_2765.jpg

Thanks everybody

Darrell

riding4fun
03-19-2007, 07:04 PM
The 50 has the extra bracket.

The 90 doesn't

AFROracing
03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
OK guys,

This is the reason I went with DRR, customer support. I called my dealer this morning and sent him pictures. He called me back after he called Lou and said there have been 3 or 4 breaks and the problem is being addressed. He said they will be designing a new pipe and will send it to me and anybody else that has had this problem. The only thing is it could be a month or two before the new pipe is ready.

In the meantime he is sending me the last model pipe to get me by. As far as the plastic is concerned I will have to check later to see actual damage, i'm sure it will be replaced if it bad enough.

And yes it was my bad not to loc-tite the bolts.

Thanks

Darrell

P.S. Just so everybody understands me, the subject of this thread doesn't mean i'm dissatisified with DRR. Things happen.

don't get the other pipe get someone to reweld this pipe, it's a much better pipe... I have a buddy with the previous pipe! Maybe we could trade for your broken one!!

LOL!!

I was talking with a fabricator today. The easiest cure is to weld a tab to the frame and another to the top of the pipe, use a rubber washer and bolt the tabs together.

Trying to figure out a bolt on fix, a nice purty billet aluminum bracket??

QuadJunkies
03-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Speaking of Lou...

How do I get in touch with this guy?
We are owed us a title(or whatever they are called) Ive been waiting on for going on 2 months now and my patience are about to an end.. Aparently our state is cracking down on this and so I need to a title to get offroad stickers as well..

I cant even get this mini registerd to ride off raod until I get it and we need it for this wk end.

Are getting parts in from DRR as big of a pain as we have been on a waiting list for abit now just getting simple things for back up parts.I know they are becoming popular, but wiaiting for 3 months for some parts is abit ridiculous.
We have been more than patient on a few things, but were running out at this point on a few problems

riding4fun
03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Lou's PH# is 330-220-3102. When I called it he answered it.

bulldogfallon
03-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Speaking of Lou...

How do I get in touch with this guy?
We are owed us a title(or whatever they are called) Ive been waiting on for going on 2 months now and my patience are about to an end.. Aparently our state is cracking down on this and so I need to a title to get offroad stickers as well..

I cant even get this mini registerd to ride off raod until I get it and we need it for this wk end.

Are getting parts in from DRR as big of a pain as we have been on a waiting list for abit now just getting simple things for back up parts.I know they are becoming popular, but wiaiting for 3 months for some parts is abit ridiculous.
We have been more than patient on a few things, but were running out at this point on a few problems

Sent you a PM

QuadJunkies
03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks Gary-much appreciated ;)
My Hubby called and talked to him today,he was pleasant to deal with and assured me there has been some communication gaps We got it taken care of I think .We have had so many set backs that we just want to be able to ride this quad! :)

AFROracing
03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
I went and check my boy's quad and our demo. The pipe is melting the plastic.

On a customer's quad I assembled friday, I eyeballed the pipe and it was only about 1/8th inch fro the battery box when tight.
I took the plastic off and put heat tape to the underside. Also loosened the mount on the silencer and slightly bent the bracket til there was a 3/4" gap between the plastic and the pipe..

Will keep an eye on it!

riding4fun
03-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Per Lou at DRR. They have spacers for anybody that has this problem. It sounds like they will be replacing the plastics.

Just contact them to let them know.

Hopefully I will be getting my spacers tomorrow.

forgiven
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Good news...let us know if the spacers work!

AFROracing
03-28-2007, 12:00 AM
where are the spacers going?

bulldogfallon
03-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Without seeing the spacers I would bet they are some type of washer that are put between the muffler mounting bracket and the frame...to push the exhuast out away from the plastic

Not sure though, but that would be my guess...

Some heat resitant tape on the plastic wouldn't be a bad idea as well

The 90 we have hasn't experienced any break or contact with the body

riding4fun
03-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
Without seeing the spacers I would bet they are some type of washer that are put between the muffler mounting bracket and the frame...to push the exhuast out away from the plastic

Not sure though, but that would be my guess...

Some heat resitant tape on the plastic wouldn't be a bad idea as well

The 90 we have hasn't experienced any break or contact with the body

That is where I was told it will be.

QuadJunkies
03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
My husband done some type of modification to my Sons when he rebuilt it.