PDA

View Full Version : torque wrenches

dingo
10-06-2002, 02:54 PM
Does anybody make a small torque wrench?
I am tired of monkeing around with the big ***** stanard size wrench. I'm thinking about the same size as a normal craftsman rachet wrech. Anybody make one??????

L.Vegas400
10-06-2002, 05:15 PM
SNAP-ON makes every kind of torque wrench imaginable. at work we have a screw driver torque wrench, all the way up to 2500 inch lbs which is equal to about 208 ft lbs.:eek:

Razorback
10-06-2002, 05:26 PM
check auto zone or o'reilly auto parts. they have them, as well as sears. the auto parts stores have better prices.

400exRacerX
10-06-2002, 05:59 PM
I got a snap on 3/8" drive torque wrench. It goes up to 200 inch pounds or 16 ft lbs. Its great for oil changes and stuff with low torque specs. The only downside is it cost me 215$,,, buts it will last forever since its a snap-on.

Leo
10-06-2002, 08:21 PM
you can often pick up snap-on 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch drive torque wrenches on ebay (used).. they often go for ~$50.. your local snap on dealer can have them calibrated/rebuilt for another $50-$60..

I've got a draw full at work, most of which I picked up on ebay and sent out to be re-calibrated.

Leo

10-06-2002, 10:32 PM
Check out SK on their 3/8 drive should run around $100.00 new.

There are some very good imports around lately (these guys are finally getting the acts together, well all but the china stuff) and you should be able to get something good for around 40.00 to 60.00 new.

If you cant find one local drop me a pm.

PS. Forget about snap on unless you work in a shop and they come by every week and let you pay 20.00 a week and will replace it on the spot otherwise its not worth it for their over priced stuff.

And b4 anyone gets on me for this yes they have some great tools and I have some myself, but 90% of the time you can get another brands quality tool for at least half the price.

Castor-426ex
10-06-2002, 10:36 PM
i use Mac tools and i recently bought a crap load of kobalt tools and I really like them...Snap on has good stuff...but you better have the wallet to get it like 440ex4me said..ive got some no brand torque wrench...and it sucks...but all my other ones are in inch pounds...lol i need a new one..:rolleyes:

chad400ex
10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Home depot has one that goes from 10 to 100 ft-lbs, and also has newton-meters (metric) on the wrench as well. It goes for $54. I've got one, and it works great.

10-07-2002, 11:05 AM
Home depot has one Chad just curious but what mfg is that one and what drive size?

chad400ex
10-07-2002, 02:30 PM
It's a "HUSKY" which is home depot's brand, so it comes with a lifetime warranty. It is a 3/8" drive

10-07-2002, 02:50 PM
yea Snap-on tools are the best. except i just steal them from my old man!:blah :devil

10-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Husky is one of the imports that I was talking about earlier, there all not bad at all for the money.

Becareful with the supposed lifetime warrantees since many have exclusions and even the larger companies like snap on, craftsman and SK etc have dropped some tools from the lifetime deal.

Seems that even the biggies have had to start bringing in less expensive stuff from oversees as well as cut their losses on some items.

EvilJester400EX
10-07-2002, 07:55 PM
my friend gave me a Craftsman torque wrench. craftsman is pretty cool, cause if you ever wanna take it back, replace it, or whatever, Sears has a lifetime warranty on craftsman tools

10-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Oh forget it :rolleyes:

Leo
10-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
my friend gave me a Craftsman torque wrench. craftsman is pretty cool, cause if you ever wanna take it back, replace it, or whatever, Sears has a lifetime warranty on craftsman tools

nope, no warranty on torque wrenches...

I had an older (probably early 80's) craftsman torque wrench that came with a full lifetime warranty..

Broke it about 2 years, took it back to sears WITH the warranty info, and they told me that there was no warranty on torque wrenches.. Argued with the manager for about 1/2 hour and he finally agreed to replace it with one of the 'newer' models.. what a cheap POS lasted me about two weeks..

The older craftsman tools are great.. the new stuff is junk.

If it doesn't say SK or Snap-On, it's a waste of money IMHO

Leo

(note: I use / abuse my tools every day to make a living so I'm a bit more critical than the average joe I guess..)

FoxRacing400EX
10-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Personally I would get the husky from home depot, good tool at a reasonable price. Snap-on and such are great tools for people that need something that is used to make a living, but the big price isn't really worht it for someone just looking to do some wrenching on their quad here and there.

dingo
10-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Do all these companies make a torque wrench that aint 3 feet long? I would like to get something that I could actually get into tight places on a quad instead of fighting with getting the wrench into tight places.

Is there any small sized torque wrenchs?

10-09-2002, 08:19 AM
Most all do make a smaller 3/8 drive one but they usually only go to like 200 in lbs.

Woodsrider
10-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Leo

If it doesn't say SK or Snap-On, it's a waste of money IMHO

Leo

(note: I use / abuse my tools every day to make a living so I'm a bit more critical than the average joe I guess..)

What is wrong with Mac? Or Matco, or Cornwell? We have all those trucks. About the only one I don't buy from is Matco. I like Cornwell impact sockets better than Snap-on.
But if I need a wrench, it's Snap-on or SK, but there is only one SK truck around here and we're not on his route.

Leo
10-12-2002, 07:32 AM
we're in the boonies.. only tool truck that bothers to come by is snap-on..

our dealer owns an aftermarket parts store so we can get whatever SK stuff we want at cost :D

I should have listed the other reputable tool makers I guess, my bad..

The more SK stuff I buy, the more I like it.. just picked up a set of impact sockets (3/8 thru 1 1/4, deep + shallow in a plastic blow molded case $120) by the end of the year I figure I'll be about 75% SK 25% snap-on..

I guess my point was cheap tools are junk ;)

Leo

Woodsrider
10-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Man! That is a great deal. SK is good stuff but harder to find out here. Some of the tool stores carry it but they're few and far between, so it is hard to get the sockets warranteed when you break them. Matco now warrantees Stanley tools on the truck. So all those busted up stanley screwdrivers you got layin' in the shop can be traded in:D

I have busted more knuckles with craftsman than any other tool.:grr

NJ300ex
10-12-2002, 09:42 AM
My grandfather worked at an auto parts store and as a mechanic his whole working life(he recently retired). My dad worked for about 10 years part time as a mechanic. The only tools they have are SK. They may have others but pretty much all I see are SK. They have given me assorted SK ratchets and other wrenches that are over 25 years old and they feel like new.

10-12-2002, 10:55 PM
They have given me assorted SK ratchets and other wrenches that are over 25 years old and they feel like new. Now theres a testimonial, mind if I quote you on that one Mike? :)

NJ300ex
10-13-2002, 03:13 PM
You can quote me on that.

Doibugu2
10-13-2002, 03:30 PM
SK? What brand is that. I consider myself pretty knowledgable, but I am an accountant. Don't get to play with my tool at work. :p But I don't know "SK" Someone help me out.

Quadracer5
10-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Like Leo I turn wrenches for a living. I also work on my drag car and 4wheeler just about every night so I need quality tools. I use either Mac or Snap-On. I love their tools, so much so that I have purchased about $17,000 worth of their tools over the past 4 years. Yes, I love tools, lol. But anyways, Mac and Snap-On may have higher prices but they are worth it, IMO. But like said before, the tools trucks come to the dealership every week so I have an advantage over most.

Kyle

10-14-2002, 09:57 PM
But anyways, Mac and Snap-On may have higher prices but they are worth it, IMO.
I agree that they do have higher prices but will never give in to the part about being worth it. There are some tools that certain brands (Snap On and the rest) may have an edge weather it be an exclusive or just a better bend or even a smoother racheting rachet etc. but IMO for 90% of what Snap On makes (Mac also) you can find a similiar quality product from another (SK Craftsman etc.) for a whole lot less.

We are brain washed that certain stuff makes us better mechanic or craftsman etc and the right tools are a must, but just as a pro level rider who woop you (and me) on a stocker when your on his ride..... you get the picture.

There are some very nice tools on that truck and as I may have said earlier I have some and love them, but I would never pay or better yet over pay for an entire snap on set up. Sure there stuff is quality but so is a lot of others.

I have customers that have spent close to what you did just on their box (ok there almost as big as a friggin condo:D ) alone.

I would advise anyone who doesnt go broke on pay day to look at some of the other brands and keep more cash in your pocket.

Anyone who gets a visit from the big guys truck often may have seen that they now are selling other brands (and with Snap On they just tag their name on it). I am talking about the unusual or special stuff like grinders, stands, Vise Grip, AC machines and various other stuff. Be especially carefull on these cause most do not carry the same warrantee and also not made in the same factories and have OK to excelent qualities depending on what MFG the products are and to top it off your now paying Snap On prices for who knows what.

I have seen this a lot lately and some of the stuff is very good but you could get it from other sources at a lot less (sometimes half), and now its mfg to mfg so you can compare.

but there is only one SK truck around here and we're not on his route. If you need enough to cover UPS charges PM me I could hook you up for SK.