PDA

View Full Version : Cluth issues

Fatkid450r
03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
I only have about 25 hours on my 2005 450r (bought new). I was screwing around in a parking lot doing burn outs and such and now my clutch only activates when the handle is all the way out (and it slips just driving around). A few things: first, is there a possible cable adjustment I can do in order to fix this? Second if it comes down replacing the whole damn thing do I need special tools to do it myself? I searched for clutch issues but I couldn't find a post that could answer my question quite right. Finally, a word to the wise, keep it on the dirt, sand, mud etc. Leave the damn street to the motorcycles!!

Oh, and if a shop did it, about how much would it cost me?
Thanks a bunch.

schulte_85
03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Try adjusting it more, but if you can't take the clutch cover off. Your friction plates, steel plates, basket, inner hub, springs could be bad. It is an easy job to do yourself. Just make sure if your basket and inner hub are grooved buy new ones. Hinson is the best, but expensive. To have a shop do it, replacing it with stock parts will cost you around 500. Just do it yourself it will cost about 350 or something. You will know how to do it than too. Lots of posts on here to help.

lumi
03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
u can easily do it urself with the correct items and some basic tools/ torque wrench... also get the service manual at trx450r.org for the 04/05 model and u can def do it all urself and save the money from bringing it to the dealer.

-lumi

Sjorge450R
03-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by schulte_85
Try adjusting it more, but if you can't take the clutch cover off. Your friction plates, steel plates, basket, inner hub, springs could be bad. It is an easy job to do yourself. Just make sure if your basket and inner hub are grooved buy new ones. Hinson is the best, but expensive. To have a shop do it, replacing it with stock parts will cost you around 500. Just do it yourself it will cost about 350 or something. You will know how to do it than too. Lots of posts on here to help.

dont worry about the $350.You prob wont need anything other than new plates and fibers if that, and tusk fibers are like $25 and come with plates. So 25 to redo the clutch+ what ever teh stock gasket costs.

I would try adjustting the cable first. its on the left side of the motor, just mess with it and adjust it.

Fatkid450r
03-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into the manual. I've been looking at just plates and it isn't to bad when comparing to a whole new set up.