PDA

View Full Version : octane boost

mach1stang
03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
hey guys have you seen that comercial for some octane booster fuel addative or what ever it is called has anybody tried it in a quad?

GPracer2500
03-18-2007, 05:23 PM
The majority of octane boosting products are esentially worthless. And even for the few products that do actually raise octane rating a significant amount, unless your engine is detonating they can't help performance.

mach1stang
03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
o just wondering

ATC_KING
03-19-2007, 02:23 PM
the only octane booster that i use is stuff made by NOS you can get it at the NAPA store. Here is SD it cost @12

alf44
03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
I use blendzall in my four strokes. It smells good too.

ATC_KING
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
i dont think that you should be smelling the fuel:D. i never hear of blendzall how much does it cost and what size bottle does it come in? where do you get blendzall?

Scott-300ex
03-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeh a lot of people say it don't work, but wut proof do they have.

If it pings try it and make sure to read and get the correct ratio in there and see if it stops the pinging.

I THINK
People say it doesn't work because they don't NEED it. If you don't need it then its not gonna help, If I only need say 70 octane to run, if I put 87 in it won't run any better, if I put 93 in it won't run any better than 87.

They say it doesn't work because they already have the needed octane in the gas alone, but if you NEED a higher octane and run the booster it will work.

Then if you run something like nitromethane(don't do it, just an example.) then that burns A LOT faster, it isn't any more powerfull, it just burns faster.

My story to the people, LoL.

alf44
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Blendzall should be available at any stealership. It comes in a yellow round 16 ounce bottle. I meant it smells good coming out of your exhaust. More like race fuel.

bwamos
03-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

If it pings try it and make sure to read and get the correct ratio in there and see if it stops the pinging.

I THINK
People say it doesn't work because they don't NEED it. If you don't need it then its not gonna help, If I only need say 70 octane to run, if I put 87 in it won't run any better, if I put 93 in it won't run any better than 87.

They say it doesn't work because they already have the needed octane in the gas alone, but if you NEED a higher octane and run the booster it will work.

Then if you run something like nitromethane(don't do it, just an example.) then that burns A LOT faster, it isn't any more powerfull, it just burns faster.

1) If you are not running a high compression piston you don't need higher octane than premium pump. Octane boost will not give you more power.

2) Octane booster leaves a residue in your tank and carb. Be prepared for more maintenance. If you have EFI....... :eek2: ... say your prayers.. lol.

3) If you do require octane booster, it is cheaper to buy race fuel than to add booster to your fuel.

4) If you want pump gas with an octane boost, Toulene/Xylene is a much better and cheaper option.

Simply put.. Octane booster is a ripoff that prays on people who do not know any better.

If you are on a stock piston, and it is pinging.. you are running to lean, and a booster is only going to mask the problem. You'll be running too hot and that could lead to a catastrophic engine failure.

Not trying to bag on anyone. There's jsut so many better options out there. "octane boosters" are generally just a bad idea.

Correct, nitromethane actually has less BTU's per volume. The upside is that it has oxygen in the molecule chain so you can run it many times richer.. like 4:1 instead of 13:1.

Not trying to be a prick.. :) I just hate to see people wasting money on boosters.

bwamos
03-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Here's a tested comparison.

Does it boost octane.. sure. But is it worthwhile. Not really.

The problem here is it limits you. Fuel chemistry and density does not increase as it would if you were using formulated racing fuel. The potential for more power is actually reduced.

The $14 bottle of NOS Racing Formula raises the octane by 30 points!!! woohoo.. in reality that is 0.1 x 30. aka 3 octane.

So for $14 can boost your regular 87 octane fuel to 90 octane. Or your 91 octane to 94. :rolleyes:

And even with the maximum suggested mix you're only getting 2.5 R+M/2

400exrider707
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Here's a tested comparison.

Does it boost octane.. sure. But is it worthwhile. Not really.

The problem here is it limits you. Fuel chemistry and density does not increase as it would if you were using formulated racing fuel. The potential for more power is actually reduced.

The $14 bottle of NOS Racing Formula raises the octane by 30 points!!! woohoo.. in reality that is 0.1 x 30. aka 3 octane.

So for $14 can boost your regular 87 octane fuel to 90 octane. Or your 91 octane to 95. :rolleyes:

that would be 91 to 94 not 95:blah:

bwamos
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey I'm only in engineering.. it's not like I should be able to do simple math. LOL.

Thanks.. fixed it. haha.

underpowered
03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

I THINK

well when MOST read the bottle and it claims to raise you octane rating byt 10 points, most think it would take you from 93 octane to 103 octane rating. the truth is, it would take you from 93 octane to 94 octane, if that. what they call a point is actually 1/10th of a whole point. for the cost of it, it is useless. the the tiny bit it actually raises the octane, you could buy race fuel and mix it with pump and actually save money!

m.h.s.c.#527
03-23-2007, 11:49 PM
says in my 250ex dont EVER put fuel additives

JJs450r
03-24-2007, 12:31 AM
this stuff is supposed to boost octane up to 112 couple people i race with it say itworks great and it averages out cheaper then buying race gas

JJs450r
03-24-2007, 12:32 AM
*******forgot pic

bwamos
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Boosts pump fuel to 112???

i was unanle to find any octane rating tests on the product at all, so I can't say either way. But, I'm going to have to remain a bit leery of that number. 100 octane maybe.. but 110+? Must be a lead treatment?

300ex mxracer
03-27-2007, 04:35 PM
the only positive experience ive had with booster is some stuff called NOS. we put a whole bottle into a briggs 5hp motor w/ jegs cam. w/o NOS it made 4.6hp and with made 5.8hp at 6500rpm on a dyno. after removing the head gasket it made 6.0hp. the final pull we made 10.3hp while pushing 60lb of pure oxygen from the oxyacetelene(sp?)torch into the carb.:D might be dangerous but we had safety glasses on:macho