PDA

View Full Version : 87' yamaha "pig hair"- carb ?

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 07:47 AM
BIG BEAR
i know it's honda forum but i'm sure most of you here may beable to help me with this problem

ahight - it's a tank i hate personaly but it's my huntin bike so it's a must have- it has the stock carb and --jetts - i'm not real sure about the jetts i bought it used-- it's having a hard time getting started- it'll drain a battery in no time- weve tracked it down to the carburator and we've already cleaned that out- it was nasty
put it all back together gave it a shot of --liquid fire-- and she started- next day i went out to see how she was feeling and she wouldn't say a word-- looked at the spark plug it was nasty put in a newbie and after a few crankes she woke up- rode it around to my stand put out some corn and all the time it acted
like it was flooding out- got it back to the house played with it a little let it idle and shut it off- started back up- got tired of it and went it- next day- same thing- wouldn't do a thing-
---what is going on with this big bear..
any suggestions would be nice- and burning it wont solve anyhting- - i tried that already

knighttime
10-24-2001, 08:02 AM
I think you are correct about it being a jetting problem.

What year and make and model is it?

And what mods if any does it have?

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 08:10 AM
it's an 1987 yamaha big bear

mods- cobra heder/pipe
no other-motor--mods- not sure about the jetts
the guy doesn't live around here any longer so i can't ask him either

knighttime
10-24-2001, 09:37 AM
I think this link will take u 2 a parts diagram for your Big Bear carburator. I'm not positive but I think all Big Bears from 87-96 were the same.

http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaATV.asp?Type=13&A=168&B=8

"BLAHH"300!!
10-24-2001, 03:07 PM
- it's firing up ever time now-
i don't know what it's deal is-
i guess it came out of hibernation
just in time for huntin' season