PDA

View Full Version : STARTER NOT WORKING, JUST CLICKING

07-30-2001, 10:03 PM
I have a problem with my 300EX. It just wont start. I thought that it was the battery so i went and bought a new one today. It does the same thing. When I hit the start button all it does is click. It has a new battery so i know that isnt the problem. So does anyone know what the problem is?:confused:

Stevo
07-30-2001, 10:10 PM
your selanoid (sp) is probabley bad. I would check all of your connection to ground and make sure they are all clean and tight.:)

Atomic83
07-30-2001, 10:23 PM
Yeah it is probably your selanoid. our riding lawn mower does that somtimes, and we just take somthing hard like a wrench or hammer tap on it, and it will usually work. Check and make sure the wires are connected good first (you may have to twist them on the bolt a little). If you do that and it still doesn't work then try tapping it with something solid.

07-30-2001, 10:30 PM
I've tried tapping it with something but no luck......I'm goin to go out and tighten them up.....maybe they are loose or something

07-30-2001, 10:40 PM
Welp i went out and all the bolts are tight and it still wont do anything. I'm starting to think that my starter is bad.

Atomic83
07-30-2001, 10:51 PM
Yes it could be your starter too, but make sure before you go buy a new one. (like the battery)

you might try tapping the starer too, somtimes the starter will get hung. I think that is whats wrong with our mower, not our selanoid. I can't remember cause it has been a while since i've used it.

07-30-2001, 10:53 PM
Thanks atomic and stevo. I'll try tapping my starter too. Hopefully that is all that it is. Hopefully the starter isnt bad.

07-30-2001, 10:56 PM
Atomic thank you....all it took was a tap on the starter with a hammer. You just saved me some $$$$$$. Thanks again

MOFO
07-31-2001, 05:29 AM
that tap was not a permanant fix. It will be doing that again....start saving some $$$ for a new starter.

Eric

07-31-2001, 07:30 PM
i had the same problem with my 400 adn my recon its probably a fuse. if your fuse is good then it is your selonoid.

Foxrage
07-31-2001, 07:44 PM
My friend had the same problem with his 300ex. He didnt buy a new starter though. I will Ask him what he did to fix it.

MARCUMS ATV
07-31-2001, 07:53 PM
A little wisdom on your starter woes, it would be very beneficial to open up the starter now and replace the brushes. You should be able to get a set for less than 25 bucks. Generally when a starter starts sticking the brushes are worn almost to the limit and will only begin to ruin the armature. At that point unless you know someone with a lathe to turn the armature for you a new starter would be the only fix.

Terry

Leo
07-31-2001, 07:56 PM
good stuff ;)

sending this to the "best of" forum..

Leo

"BLAHH"300!!
08-11-2001, 10:25 PM
hey i had the same problem a while back-

- not hard to fix- $ 75.00 for me

take off your starter get it out of there-

-it has two bolts on it that run all the way through-take em out
- it'll come in to three pieces- well wait- check too see if the teeth are good first-

-take the bolts out-
-there's a rod that spins in the middle-
-there's two things that slid on it while it spins,,little -{springs}- thats keeps em on there tight-
-see if they are worn down- if so - there you go- replace them.

go to your local started shop and show them whats up-

:macho
later

"BLAHH"300!!
08-11-2001, 10:54 PM
i thought i already did this-

- 300ex starter- i had the same problem awhile back-

-easy to fix $75.00 for me-

-take off your starter
-look at the teeth see if there good first-- ok then
-there's too bolts that run all the way through te starter-
-take em out- it'll then come into three pieces
-there's a rod that runns all the way through and spins
-look at the "inside" end-
-there's too brushes that slide on this rod
-see if they are worn-- if so
-take it to a starter shop and show them-
-they should have some in stock
-also- the starter is on the motor in a tight spot so if you take off the other piece that it slides into there's a gasket behind it-
- $4.00 get that too- $79.00 done :huh

09-03-2001, 05:37 PM
if u wanna go riding and it doesnt start just pop start it.
hold the clutch in 2nd gear and run with it. pop it and it should start. i dont know if it will since ur starter sucks.