PDA

View Full Version : Setting the bead....

TheBlasterMan
03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Well me and my friend managed to change and mount 3 tires. On our last one we couldnt set the bead on one side. Weve had the air pressure up to 40, the max tire pressure is 36psi! yet the bead on seet. Weve beet it with a hamer, lubed it with wd40. It appears when we air it up the bead stays in the inside along the ring. Instead of the bead hitting the tounge of the rim, the sidewal flexes and hits the rim. Anyone ever have a problem like this? How did you solve it? Any advice? Thanks

CRich[814]
03-18-2007, 02:56 PM
id just try to lube up the inside of the rim with dish soap and use a ratchet tie down and put the tie down in the middle of the tire all the way around and tighten it, and fill her up with air. hope this helps.

northwest Texas
03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I had the same problem with a pair on a Polaris. Don't use the ratchet strap as you can already get air in it, just getting the tire over the bead seat. I think he misunderstood you.

Spray lots of WD-40 around the wheel and tire so it will "slip" easier as you add air.

It pretty much scared me but I think I ended up with about 45psi before both of them would seat. I do remember both of them seated at the same psi.

Before you add that much, fill it back up and toss it up in the air and let it bounce, like a basketball. Do that several times. Sometimes that will do the trick. If not, just be very careful and keep airing it up a little at a time, be sure to keep all limbs and body parts as far away as possible in case she blow's. Stand off to the side so if it explodes, you're 90* away from the energy.

gotwarrior
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Difinitely lube it up really good.. But you may have to take it off and reset it on the rim..

DEVINF450R
03-19-2007, 02:34 AM
I have this same problem with a beadlock rim??? I did the ratchet srap thing too and it seems to have helped but it isn't set al the way but it is finally holding air for more than 2 days..

JW450R1
03-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Try 40 psi or so,and try tapping the side wall of the tire with a rubber hammer.

d3ktrix
03-19-2007, 09:30 AM
I mounted some tamers for my friend a few weeks ago.

Had to use a tie down strap, tons of dish soap and about 45PSI.
Even then it took a while, I got a work out bouncing it around my garage.

Fred55
03-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Put the tire outside with the trouble side getting all the sunlight, it should warm it up enough to let it stretch better.

Rancher2005
03-22-2007, 10:38 PM
using differences in temperature has worked wonders for me. (using sunlight as stated before or a warm boiler room)
i just wouldn't stay in the boiler room with it. and lube it well like everyone said

mad440
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
anti-freeze works a little better than WD i have found, heating tire also works great combined with some type of lube

trx4ever
03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
u could use the hillbilly way, let all the air out and put a small amount of gas or ether so it gets in the tire and around the bead and light it,, It works but it is dangerous so I wouldn't suggest it

asa400ex
03-28-2007, 11:07 PM
maybe brake clean and a lighter :devil:

blasterandy
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
They did that on a show they were using ute's to go from one side of the antartic to the other and they used carb cleaner.

03warriorrider
04-03-2007, 06:14 PM
i cant get one of my beads to seat either. i've tried putting 40psi in it and bouncing it/riding it around, hiting it with a rubber beadblow hammer to to the point were the handle bends, put silicone spray on it, put a rachet strap around it, took the valve stem out and blew it up really quick and i still cant get it to seal up.

has anyone had any problems with tubes, is it a bad idea? what else can i do or try?