PDA

View Full Version : I remeber when a saturday night .....

Pappy
03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
meant going out:p I know I am old now, its almost 11pm and I am playing with my camera:D

(im actually learning how to use my cameras CLS system)

03-17-2007, 09:50 PM
yeah no kidding!! my wife and i are getting ready for bed....and it's st. pats day none the less....hey at least i can watch west coast hockey on the dish...:D

Pappy
03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I will try some more stuff tomorrow with 3 flash units and a better set up. I can remember when using mulitiple flashes was difficult to set up, expensive and you had better have a working knowledge of light meters and lots of film! Todays technology takes most of the geuss work out of it

QuadJunkies
03-17-2007, 10:50 PM
Hell Im doing good just trying to figure out how to use ONE flash,well enough multiples.:o :p

JOEX
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
It's not yet 9:30 and it's past my bed time:p Have a 16+ hour day tomorrow:ermm:

What's CLS?

Pappy
03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
CLS is Nikons Creative Lighting System that allows multiple flash units to be sync'd and controlled from the camera. If you have ever noticed some of the wicked shots from photographer Adam Cambell in all the magazines, you will see the effects of using multiple and studio lighting in his shots. (I am not sure what equipment he uses, but it is the same basic priciple)

Harlen has been using off camera and mulitple flash set ups lately and I figured I had better bone up on what my stuff will allow me to do. And for the past 4 hours that is what I have been doing...reading:p

I tried this outdoors the other day in a few shots to try and cut back some shadows and to learn more etc. It is working pretty well, but there is alot more to learn!

(in this shot, the sun is over the riders right shoulder, and i used my on camera flash to also fire a flash that was to the riders left front, balancing the shot)

wvspeedfreak
03-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
meant going out:p I know I am old now

I hear ya.I remember when saturday night didn't even get started till after 10:00 pm.Now I'm in bed usually by 11 :ermm:

Oh well,I don't miss the hangovers one bit :cool:

Pappy
03-18-2007, 11:07 AM
lol...no i do not miss the hangovers myself:p

its super windy and cold again, and I think the kids are gtting sick of me being bored and stuck inside. They are good troopers however:p

Pappy
03-18-2007, 11:16 AM
ryan just wants to go outside:p im heading out shortly to grab another one of my flash units and hopefully the wind settles down...I want to do some things at sunset:D

Pappy
03-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Just like anything else...practice practice practice:p

Pappy
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
well, the single flash remote activated is fairly easy, still working on 2 or 3 flashes. It works great with ambient light, but I would probably need a softbox and a better background to do it more in doors...along with more practice..lol

(i actually like this one better then his school picture!)

atvRiDa400ex
03-18-2007, 05:54 PM
we just got a Canon Rebel EX...its an awesome camera!

i also have a Nikon, another very good camera!

Pappy
03-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I waited all day for sunset, and we did not get much of one:p

Pappy
03-18-2007, 06:09 PM
The boys actually had fun after they saw the different lighting:p

Pappy
03-18-2007, 06:56 PM
why the kids? cuz i cant get the damn dog to sit still:p

gbcap
03-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Ya...i don't mind the hangovers still...i was out till 3am sat morning watching "mister green jeans" in canton, md. it was a great time.

those pics look great ken. when i finally get a bike together ill have to come down to give you something new to shoot.

cletusEX
03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
Ya...i don't mind the hangovers still...i was out till 3am sat morning watching "mister green jeans" in canton, md. it was a great time.

those pics look great ken. when i finally get a bike together ill have to come down to give you something new to shoot.

I was supposed to go watch them Saturday, but was still planning on racing Sunday. I ended up saying screw racing in the cold and went out in Frederick.

Quad18star
03-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Saturday night I was in bed by 11PM . I must be getting old .. Saturday was St-Patty's day , plus it was my birthday Sunday .

When I was a bit younger , I used to dream of having St-Patricks Day on a Saturday so I could go out and get sloshed for St-Pats and my birthday ..... now I sit at home and watch the hockey game , then go to bed early . :ermm:

parkers30
03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
you guys really are lame :D

We partied for St. Practice day (friday) and St. Patty's day, didn't go to bed till after 5 either night.

Guess that is what happens when you are know for your St. Patty's day parties

Pappy
03-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I used to know how to party, where do you think the 2 rugrats came from:devil:

well, another day of reading and more practice.

insaneracin2003
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Saturday night I was in bed by 11PM . I must be getting old .. Saturday was St-Patty's day , plus it was my birthday Sunday .

When I was a bit younger , I used to dream of having St-Patricks Day on a Saturday so I could go out and get sloshed for St-Pats and my birthday ..... now I sit at home and watch the hockey game , then go to bed early . :ermm:
Happy belated B-Day Greg.
Ken,ya boys walking around like zombies with all the flashes going on?....haha...nice pics though....

Pappy
03-19-2007, 04:22 PM
naaa they understand i have to practice:p i even let them take alot of the pictures so they learn also and it keeps them from being bored:p

bigbadbubba
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I dont really understand what you are doing.... all the pictures look like normal high quality pictures... what do the flashes do?

Pappy
03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
flash adds light, color, depth etc

different effects with the way you let light hit the subject etc. im working on controlling up to 3 flashes right now, so that it becomes second nature when i have to use them in the field

cletusEX
03-19-2007, 06:08 PM
You might have calmed down a little Kenny, that is until Kevin shows up for an all night pc session. I remember the last one, you mentioned something about Aftershock flowing and staying up till the sun came up. I almost hopped in the truck and made the hour drive, I could have been there by midnight.:p

wvspeedfreak
03-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by cletusEX
You might have calmed down a little Kenny, that is until Kevin shows up for an all night pc session. I remember the last one, you mentioned something about Aftershock flowing and staying up till the sun came up. I almost hopped in the truck and made the hour drive, I could have been there by midnight.:p

I remember that too.I was laughing my a/s/s off reading his posts.His typing was slurred :D

The pictures look great Kenny.I wouldn't know where to start with 3 flashes.I am still working with 1 :p

Pappy
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah, i still have no clue what all i coated for him that night. i do however still (after a year) have a burn scar in the perfect shape of one of his gussets:o no pain, no gain:cool: