PDA

View Full Version : Front End pushing in turns! HELP!

onebadblazr
03-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I recently installed some +2+1 Burgard standard travel arms with stock shocks on my yfz. Since then, my front susp. has seemed very stiff compared to stock.I even went with 3:2 offset for a little more width, I figured it would give me a softer ride but just the opposite!...and the front tires have about 85% tread
I dont have an aftermarket axle yet but will have one soon. I took it to an indoor mx track for practice and no matter what I tried (rear tire pressure & direction, softening suspension, body english) the front end wanted to push right through the turn as if the tires werent even touching the ground! its definitely not diving! I wish it would a little...Im not sure on the exact camber in degrees but its definitely negative. As far as the toe in/out its pretty much perfect and my rear end sags a little more than the front, probably about 1" to 1 1/2". You guys think thats the problem? How can I lower the front ride height if I can at all? the preload nuts are all the way to the top, and the rear is set up perfect for me. or is my only option to increase the rear ride height? I weigh 190 -195 depending on the weekend
I have asked a few of the guys I ride with to no avail...If anyone with experience with this could chime in it would be appreciated!
My setup is as follows...20" maxxis fronts, 18" rear klaws (flipped for hard pack), burgard arms w/ stock shocks,
Thanks,
Tony

czrider263
03-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Try taking out some caster.

You want not alot tow in. If the front end is too soft it will also puch in the turns, and you will have alot of body roll. Plus having your front end really wide and your rear not wide doesn't help.

4TraxRider
03-17-2007, 06:40 PM
The arms you got are plus one forward which will throw the weight bias towards the rear making the front bite less and more wheelie prone. The stock shocks and plus 2 arms are not helping a ton either without a revalve. Also with stock shocks the front end typically sits higher on a longer a arms set up that with a set of shocks set up for them, also making the problem worse. Your front should be much softer that stock, not stiffer because of the added leverage the longer a arms provide.

yfz450rida
03-17-2007, 08:13 PM
everyone one has made a good point the front will soften with wider arms. It not caster or camber. it sound like you ride height is way off. Try setting up ur ride height so that the rear sags about a 1/2 inch maybe even 1/4 more than the front. measure the frame behind the rear a arm mount right under the radiator and right next to your foot peg and see how that works out for you. it sounds like you just need to pick your rear end up a little to put more weight on the front !!

matt250r21
03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I have heard that +1 forward a arms were only good for the Banshee. Like stated above, the +1 forward arms could be taking some weight off your front end causing loss of bite. I would like to here some other opinions on the whole +1 forward idea.

onebadblazr
03-18-2007, 12:12 AM
thanks guys Ill try adding some preload to the rear to adjust the ride height!!!like I said before, the rear sags about 3-1/2 to 4 " which I figure is good but if I need less Ill go for it and let you know!!!!!!

trx250r180
03-18-2007, 12:31 AM
dont reverse wheels makes worse,also kory ellis told me if pushin grabbing some front brake going into the corner will plant tires,while staying on gas

yfz450rida
03-18-2007, 07:32 PM
you can load the front end by riding the front brake. But ur bike has to be set up first. When enter a corner very aggresive that is a great way to turn the quad very quick. Just set your ride height i am positive that will fix your prob. and make sure that u sit on the quad in a netruel position when measuring frame height!