PDA

View Full Version : exhaust wrapping

sportrax stu
03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
this may sound like a stupid question, but why do people wrap stuff around their headers???!!!

clubert
03-17-2007, 03:06 PM
in an automobile, it keeps the heat out of the engine bay. on an ATV, i'm not really sure of any benefit you could get out of it.

GPracer2500
03-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Keeping heat inside the header helps keep the exhaust gas at maximum velocity. If the gasses cool down as they move through the header they'll change volume. That slows down the flow.

rbm300ex
03-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Also keeps from burning body parts - flesh & plastic ones!!:eek:

Randy

clubert
03-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Keeping heat inside the header helps keep the exhaust gas at maximum velocity. If the gasses cool down as they move through the header they'll expand. That expansion slows down the flow.

It's the other way around. as they cool down, the would contract, slowing down the flow. If they expanded, they would have to move faster. I see the point though. does this cause a difference that you would notice at all, though?

GPracer2500
03-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by clubert
It's the other way around. as they cool down, the would contract, slowing down the flow. If they expanded, they would have to move faster. I see the point though. does this cause a difference that you would notice at all, though?

Whoops! You're totally right. I just edited my post.

I doubt you'd feel a difference seat of the pants. It'd make for an interesting dyno test. Whatever the case I bet the difference would be quite small.

DF400ex
03-18-2007, 02:05 PM
I just wrapped mine a few days ago and love it. People do it on turbos applications so you don't loose exhaust pressure and it keeps the heat out of the engine bay. I've seen it used from the inter cooler to the engine to keep the air temps down aswell.

Here's the thread

link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288549)

I can grab my exhaust after a hard ride with out melting my skin to the header. I now can check my oil w/out burning myself. And it looks great to.

JasonP
03-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Do you have to worry about the pipe rusting out or burning out as I've heard it called before?

DF400ex
03-18-2007, 02:34 PM
nope, well not if you do it right. As I stated in my other thread, all you have to do is clean your header, I wire wheeled mine, and then give it a few coats of 1200 degree paint. This will keep the water off the headers so they do not corrode. You also spray the wrap in high temp silicone. this helps to seal it and makes it easier to clean