PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r starting problem..

MX MaNiAc 06
03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Well my 06 hates me and refuses to start. No damn clue whats wrong with it this time.. The battery turns over. The starter works. The plug is clean. I took it to the shop so he could jet it and it still doesnt start. You can hear puffs coming out of the exhaust and u can smell the gas. But it just doesnt start? WTF?!?!?!?!

allstock
03-16-2007, 10:23 PM
did you try pop-starting it to see if it would at least run or if its just the starter?

MX MaNiAc 06
03-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Well once in every 3 minutes of cranking and cranking she will fire. But its rare. It runs like a champ when its running. Sorry i forgot to leave that out.

lumi
03-17-2007, 09:13 AM
adjust ur decomp, how many hours?

dont give any gas while cranking and play with ur kill switch cuz i thought mine was on the "ON" postition but it wasnt and i was cranking away! and no extended cranks or the start clutch will be burning up....

-lumi

MX MaNiAc 06
03-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Hmm.. i never even thought of that. Well i got it Sept. of 05. Never adjusted the decompression. Couldnt tell u how many hours. But deffinately plenty. Ill look into that.

Ive messed with the battery, kill switch, spark plug, wires everywhere.

lumi
03-17-2007, 08:09 PM
yea just make sure u dont blow up ur starting system, its very delicate...

check the clearances on the valves, if there good than do ur decomp. clearance, the decomp plays a major roll in the starting of the quad.

good luck

-lumi

MX MaNiAc 06
03-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I hold the starter for 5-10 seconds then just give up. The valves were adjusted very recently. Maybe 5 hours of riding if that. Also when it runs there isnt any strange sounds. So im pretty confident its not the valves.

Would there be any other symtoms of the decompression system being off?

KrazyKeith
03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I have to pump the throttle at least 10 times to get mine to start when it is cold out but it will always start. Before you hit the button pump the shat out of it. Works for me. Good luck

lumi
03-18-2007, 08:47 AM
no the decomp is only there for starting purposes only, to release comp or contain comp. for starting, after the engine is on, it serves no purpose.

-lumi

shizzytrx450
03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
never had problems starting mine:confused:

schulte_85
03-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Check the stator. I had the same problem with mine. It was not cranking a hot enough spark to fire the motor.

ISurvivedNMU
03-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Also make sure your light is off. it might give you a little extra energy needed.... MAYBE...

MX MaNiAc 06
03-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by shizzytrx450
never had problems starting mine:confused:

Well arent u special?

ISurvivedNMU
03-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Have you tried to start it with a battery charger attached? Is you battery old?

mersingt
03-19-2007, 08:20 AM
went riding yesterday and mine wouldnt start yesterday had to jump start it and that worked everytime...and later i just left it in gear and tryed starting it while slowly letting out the clutch and it would sort of jump start itself....i think my jetting is off to tho...

organiz3d_chaos
03-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Mine quit starting, would turn over and everything, could feel the puff out of the exhaust and all... took it to honda and after a week they said it was the starter.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I hate to do it but i may just take it to the dealer..

How much would it be to get the decompression adjusted?

How much for a new starter from a dealer? :rolleyes:

lumi
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
the decomp is very easy to adjust, i would guess the dealer shouldnt charge much but there big time robbers anyways.

as for the starter its usually the starter clutch (worn sprags). it costs about 50-60 bucks... takes some mechanical skill to do, a service manual and some basic tools , it can be done very easily.

but the starter clutch and starter for that matter, does one thing and thats spin the crank, so if ur getting pressure from the exhaust it has nothing to do with the starter, but more from the common, jetting/decomp..

just info.

-lumi

organiz3d_chaos
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by lumi
so if ur getting pressure from the exhaust it has nothing to do with the starter, but more from the common, jetting/decomp..

just info.

-lumi

I was getting pressure from the exhaust and they couldn't get it to start till they replaced the starter, I do not know if they accidentally did something else but they said the gears were awfully chewed up.

lumi
03-19-2007, 06:20 PM
crazy dealers, if the starter reduction gears were chewwed up, and this is possible, it would have a really hard time turning the engine over or wouldnt turn it over at all, was this the case?
this can also be a cause of the decomp have too much comp. or little of a gap/clearance.(if memory serves me right)

there alot of variables and im too lazy to discuss it but with the decomp u can make the starter spin the motor faster with less comp or make the motor spin slower but with more comp. u have to get the neutral spot where the starter will spin but can also make the engine have enough comp during cranking to start it quick... thats why most people use comp gauges when they set it cuz it can give u a accurate measure and right in the sweet spot... anyways at the end of the day its honda fault for not making a back torque limiter and putting a damn throttle cutoff sensor..

but i can blame most "USER ERROR" for giving it gas during cranking making for some kickback to the system causing damage, i mean the kicker guys when they get kickback the damn lever almost breaks there knees and if u look aorund alot of kicker guys have broke there cases from kickback. plus over cranking overheating the sprags and causing them to become weak and brittle imo..

-lumi

450mxh
03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Ive had my 06 for 1 yr and just recently had the same problem happen about starting the quad. The problem ended up being the starter clutch ceased up . Called Honda they new right away what the problem was, apparently more people have been having this same problem. They can't tell me exactly why this keeps happing but, I think it was poor engineering on there part. My wallet was $225 dollars lighter. Not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!