PDA

View Full Version : windows (pc) question.

CRich[814]
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
my old computer crashed (rip(thanks alot myspace(and older dumb sisters))) and i got this old emachines for free. ive had it for a while and i put more ram in it so now i have the basics of what i need. ive been downloading updates of programs and stuff. i have dsl so the internet browsing is fast. i need itunes, and a few other things that i need xp for, so is there any way i can download windows xp for free or at least pretty unexpensive? right now it has ME and its a pain to do stuff. im very limited with things. could i download it from limewire or somewhere like that?

thanks alot guys&girls.

<DRS>GPF
03-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
i need itunes, and a few other things that i need xp for, so is there any way i can download windows xp for free or at least pretty unexpensive? right now it has ME and its a pain to do stuff. im very limited with things. could i download it from limewire or somewhere like that?

thanks alot guys&girls.

well... yes, im sure there is a way to find XP for free, but im also as sure that its illegal..

if youre a student, you may get a discount on XP or the new Vista OS

Vista would crush a PC that old, so thats not an option..
to buy an OEM copy of windows XP is usually $90-n-change(US dollars)..
to put a fesh copy of XP on that old PC would be like buying a performance exaust for a mid 80's Chrysler K-car..

can you fix the older PC? new harddrive perhaps?

CRich[814]
03-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
well... yes, im sure there is a way to find XP for free, but im also as sure that its illegal..
im not to sure the popo will be here over a new version of windows.

if youre a student, you may get a discount on XP or the new Vista OS
im in high school if that helps.

Vista would crush a PC that old, so thats not an option..
i havent heard anything good about it anyways.

to buy an OEM copy of windows XP is usually $90-n-change(US dollars)..
any other cheaper options?

to put a fesh copy of XP on that old PC would be like buying a performance exaust for a mid 80's Chrysler K-car..
i think this computer can handle it. it seems okay after i put the ram in it. (and im still looking for some bigger cards.)

can you fix the older PC? new harddrive perhaps?
i have no idea what's the matter with it. im not very good with pc's. i know its an HP desktop, not that old, and when you start it up, it starts for two seconds and shuts down. SOMETIMES (like after an hour and half of continuous tries) it will start long enough to get it into safe mode.

Ron89
03-16-2007, 02:27 PM
If your old computer had Windows XP, just call microsoft and tell them your computer broke. Most of the time they will give you a new serial number and stuff.

<DRS>GPF
03-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ron89
If your old computer had Windows XP, just call microsoft and tell them your computer broke. Most of the time they will give you a new serial number and stuff.

ill bet he doesnt have the install disk for XP, since it likely came pre-installed.. they usually just partition off a section of the harddrive and "image" the install files there..

im not to sure the popo will be here over a new version of windows.
likely not, but itll stop you from updates if it cant be verified.

im in high school if that helps.
not sure.. its worth looking into..

any other cheaper options?
fixing the broken one?

i think this computer can handle it. it seems okay after i put the ram in it. (and im still looking for some bigger cards.)
sorry, i didnt mean to imply it wouldnt handle it, but unless you buy the more expensive "full" version of XP it seems like a waste of money for an older PC.
the "OEM" copy is tied electronically to the motherboard when you first install/verify, thus when that older PC dies, it takes your new XP with it. usually...
but.. like Ron89 mentioned, if it's yours and you call Micro$oft, theyll give you a new number when you re-install it to another PC. (having done it for 3 different PC/liscenses already) even though its against the EULA which everyone never reads..

Originally posted by CRich[814] i have no idea what's the matter with it. im not very good with pc's. i know its an HP desktop, not that old, and when you start it up, it starts for two seconds and shuts down. SOMETIMES (like after an hour and half of continuous tries) it will start long enough to get it into safe mode.
could be the power supply, which may be interchangable with that older PC if both are "ATX"(should say on the spec plate of the power supply).. or the video card (since it eventually comes up in safe mode) not sure about how to describe what to do if youve little experience with PC's.. its rather confusing since the video bus has changed 4+ times in the last 5yrs or so..

if its still semi-functional, you could try tapping the F10 key during boot-up(it might be another key though.. check through the literature that came with the PC)
this will put the PC into a recovery mode and itll likely put it back to "day 1", wiping off everything to present day.. which isnt any different from what you have now.

quad2xtreme
03-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I understand your pain...you are dealing with a virus...basically, ME is a Microsoft virus...it was a piece of crap operating system from day 1 and it never got any better. AOL software is another virus I recommend staying away from if you want your computer to maintain its performance.

From the sounds of it, you don't need anything more than the home edition of XP. Truth is, you would be fine running Windows 2000...Microsoft isn't fixing various security issues though...the main thing is to not have it directly on the net with a public IP address...just stick it behind any $40 DSL router and NAT your system to a 198.168.x.x address.

If your old PC had a legitimate copy of Microsoft's OS then call them. You can get a set of disks or a special on an upgrade to XP.

Forgot to say...I recommend taking the old PC to one of the discount places like CompUSA. It won't cost too much to have them figure out what is wrong with your old system.

Don't even think about Vista.

Good Luck!

Ace Sixx
03-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Get rid of Windows and install Ubuntu Linux (free). Get PyMusique for iTunes.