PDA

View Full Version : Common oil leak spots?

Biker Glasses
03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Looks like oil leak around chain area, is this common?

thanks,
Ian

Dan229
03-16-2007, 12:50 PM
You will want to check that area really well to make sure the chain did not snap at one time and crack the case.

No oil leak is "common" on the 300 but does happen. Sometimes it isn't worth tearing the entire engine apart to fix a small leak when all you do is cruise around the back 40 every once in a while.

However, my personal advice would be to get a service manual and take the time to fix all the issues it has.

bwamos
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Also a good chance that someone had the sidecase off and reused the old gasket. Every downstroke when the pressure in the crank increases, a small squirt of oil will shoot out.

I've seen this may times with people that weren't willing to spend $15 on a new gasket, but they were willing to do it twice, and buy a new gasket anyway.. lol.

Biker Glasses
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
hmm, good ideas guys... I hope it's not the chain problem, because I know a new chain was put on... it's not a lot of oil, so I don't mind letting it go and just adding some every once in a while, since it's a 'beater' quad...

markvette
03-16-2007, 09:14 PM
could be the oil seal on the sprocket shaft. just had to replace the one on my sons 300ex.

Mark

Biker Glasses
03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
it's weird tho because it only seems to be leaking when stopped, not when running. is that possible?