PDA

View Full Version : 07 kfx 50

spoiledbrat
03-15-2007, 11:11 PM
has anyone bought one of these? looking at getting my kids something this april and was looking for some feedback since the model is new this year. thanks.

EXMARK
03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
My brother-in-law bought his boy a new suzuki z50 and its a nice little quad. We removed the spacer in the clutch and this little thing will move on pretty good.

Livin4Real
03-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I would recommend staying away from the kaw/suz/yam line of mini's. They are lacking alot in design and have little aftermarket support. Post this question in the main mini section and I think you'll find most would recommend going with another brand as well. If you have any intentions of racing in the future definitely avoid them. The new DRR 50 is a great quad and well priced for all the features you get and has a ton of aftermarket support. I don't own one personally so I'm not bias by any means. We have a cobra ecx 70 and a kasea 90 which I recommend as well but the cobra doesn't fit into alot of folks budget especially just starting out and the kasea is not a dual a-arm design but is still a great quad. Two strokes are much cheaper to make faster as well compared to four strokes.

Traindog71
03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
You are dead wrong about the Kawis, they are made by Kymco, there are tons of aftermarker parts available, even though I think he is looking for just a trail ridable quad. I would get the Kawi KFX90 (2149 MSRP) or Kymco Mongoose 90 (1999 MSRP), same quad except the Kawi looks a little better and has a 2mm larger carb. Kymco also has a 1 year warranty, I would by a 90 and not a 50 unless the kids are like 4 and 6. Just limit the throttle on the 90 and let them grow into it. This engine is a GY6 Honda engine that has been around since the 60s, 4-stroke, next to no maintainance, perfect quad for kids.

If you ever want to race it, the Kawi/Kymco would be great, I have the Powroll 120 kit in my sons, along with Two Bros Exhaust, this little quad rips now, there are bumpers, nerfs, grab bars, axles, just about anything you would need to hop it up to be race ready.

Livin4Real
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
the kfx 90 was recalled I believe, I've owned the kaw/suki 50 and know how they compare to an import there is no comparison. Like I said post this in the main section and get a bigger opinion.

Traindog71
03-26-2007, 07:01 AM
The recall was on the tie rod nuts not being torqued to specs, very simple to do yourself or take in to your dealer. Nothing major.

LT80
03-26-2007, 08:17 AM
The DRR is the best/fastest out of the box.
The Kymco's are a great quad also!
I wouldn't buy a z50.

Traindog71
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
it all comes down to what he wants to do with the quad, if it is just trail riding, I would definately go with the 4-stroke, now if he plans on racing in the future, that changes the perspective, for trail riding, the auto Kymco is hard to beat, Suzi is overpriced but only quad with electric start and pull backup(around $2440 MSRP) , Yamaha is semi auto and has no suspension, Honda TRX90 is just too much $2749 MSRP, Kymco is $1999 with one year warranty, I bought the Kawi since my son liked the green better, but I knew the quality I was getting. The Polaris Outlaw 90 is one to look at if you must have reverse, but I don't trust my son to go backwards yet, he hits enough things he can see going forward.

spoiledbrat
03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
i bought the 07 kfx 50 for my son who is turning six. after a year or so it will be passed down to my daughter who will then be turning 5. i went with the 50 instead of a 90 due to their size and the fact that i won't be able to keep her off of it for long once she sees him riding. also, this way i can shop for something a bit quicker and upgradeable for my son once i see how he does and if he likes it. so far i have been breaking it in and they have not even seen it. my son will get it this sunday. too bad his helmet is not in yet, so if he wants to ride it will be in his sisters pink one. i hear that you can uncork the engine by removing an internal governor. i won't be doing this soon but any info would be appreciated.

Livin4Real
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Two places on them to check for restrictors. One is in the carb slide and limits the slide from opening all the way. If you take the top of the carb off where the cable goes in you'll see the slide assembly with a piece of brass or plastic bushing in between the slide and the carb top, when you push the throttle while the slide is out you'll see how it limits the movement. Disassemble it and remove the piece, put back together. Make sure the slide goes back in the right way, look at the cutouts on the slide and the inside of the carb and you can tell which way it will fully seat.

Second one if it has it is in the head pipe where it attaches to the engine. Remove the exhaust and look at the end of the pipe and there will be a washer looking piece inside the end of the head pipe that has a small slit in it where you can put a screwdriver in and work it out to open up the full diameter of the pipe. You may have to heat it up to get the piece out. Put the exhaust back on and that's it.

Traindog71
03-29-2007, 06:47 AM
There is also a restrictor in the front variator (clutch), you will need to remove the footwell, remove the cover and the kick start lever. You will need an impact wrench, hold the variator sheeve with your hand and hit the nut with the impact. When you remove the sheeve, there will be a wedding band type restrictor that will not allow the sheeves to come together limiting the top speed of the quad. Removing this will add about 5-10MPH to the top speed.