PDA

View Full Version : Hate Cotterpins? Look Here

NacsMXer
03-15-2007, 07:58 PM
This is something I have always done on my quad that I thought I would share with you guys. Cotterpins can be a pain to deal with when they don't want to cooperate with you...we've all been there :p

Instead of using cotterpins on my front end, (e.g. tie rod ends, balljoint castle nuts, etc) I simply clip off a piece of a small paper clip, slip it through the hole and wrap it around. This has never failed me, and the best part about it is you can remove/reinstall them with nothing more than your fingers :cool:

Not sure if I would use this idea on hub nuts but it sure does work well at all the little points on the front end. Try it out!

hornetgod13
03-16-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm a jet mechanic and I know the importance of cotter keys. I aggree that they can be difficult to bend in tight places but, they are there for a reason. Putting a paper clip in it's place is not a wise move. You're on your own with this. I wouldn't recommend this to others. What happens if someone that takes your advice has an axle nut or steering bolt comes off and you loses a wheel or control of the quad while riding? It's just not worth the risk.
Just stick to cotter keys. Learn to bend them. One other thing, dispose of a cotter key after one use. Replace them each time they are removed.

gbcap
03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
i use saftey wire...holds up great and you can just cut it and pull it out.

NacsMXer
03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I'm a jet mechanic and I know the importance of cotter keys. I aggree that they can be difficult to bend in tight places but, they are there for a reason. Putting a paper clip in it's place is not a wise move. You're on your own with this. I wouldn't recommend this to others. What happens if someone that takes your advice has an axle nut or steering bolt comes off and you loses a wheel or control of the quad while riding? It's just not worth the risk.
Just stick to cotter keys. Learn to bend them. One other thing, dispose of a cotter key after one use. Replace them each time they are removed.

Like I said, I would not use them on axle nuts/hub nuts where a large cotter pin is needed. But for small areas like tie rod ends it works just fine. I have done this for years without issue. Don't be so quick to sell me short...

Scro
03-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I've always used these instead of the normal cotter pins. They have been trouble free for me, and they are much easier to install/remove.

400exrider707
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I've always used these instead of the normal cotter pins. They have been trouble free for me, and they are much easier to install/remove.

me too

300ex#5
03-16-2007, 01:58 PM
i use those for my hub nuts, they work great

awsomeaussies
03-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Hot damn, why haven't I ever thought of that:blah:

NacsMXer
03-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Even better! :cool: I use those guys on my hub nuts, I beleive they are called hitch pins? Would be nice to have an entire assortment of them like that. Harbor Freight maybe?

4TraxRider
03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Harbor Freight sells assorted kits, and Fastenal does around here too, but I don't know if that is a national franchise or not.

NacsMXer
03-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Harbor Freight sells assorted kits, and Fastenal does around here too, but I don't know if that is a national franchise or not.

Thanks. Nice, i'll pick up a kit next time I swing by there :D

number5
03-17-2007, 09:11 AM

What jet you work on? f-18?

bustedknuckle
03-17-2007, 09:15 AM
hitch pins work great.we do one thing diff.we use a cable ty at the end to keep the pin from comming off... we hav never had a failure...

hornetgod13
03-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by number5
What jet you work on? f-18?

I worked on F/A-18 A,B,C and Ds Hornets for 9 years. F-14 Tomcats 3 years. I currently work on F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and have been doing so for 5 years now.

Pappy
03-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by bustedknuckle
hitch pins work great.we do one thing diff.we use a cable ty at the end to keep the pin from comming off... we hav never had a failure...

we now use the zip tie also:p

number5
03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
I worked on F/A-18 A,B,C and Ds Hornets for 9 years. F-14 Tomcats 3 years. I currently work on F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and have been doing so for 5 years now.
You know AD1 Enriques? I think he works there. I worked on E-2,C-2, P-3 had fun.

hornetgod13
03-18-2007, 02:10 AM
I don't recognize the name. I've flown in C-2s. I have 2 catapult shots and 4 arrested landing onboard carriers in the greyhound.

redrunner
03-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
we now use the zip tie also:p

lol
Great pic Pappy..is that the 300 taking a swim?

I would not trust a paper clip..

Pappy
03-18-2007, 08:48 AM
Thankfully just the rear rim took a swim. Hub nut came off, wheel went sailing, and i watched the entire thing through my lens...lol

The hub nut had loosened, sheering the cotter pin. I usually use the hitch pins as pictured above...now I know why:p

jonboy
03-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Pappy at least your boy was safe.
HornetGod13, Are you a Depot level mech on a military air base? I use to work for Ratheon, worked on Cobras, Hueys, Frogs, and 53's after I got out of the Marines. I agree with you 100% about the paperclip bullsh**. They simply do not have the shear strength as the cotter pins. For that matter quads dont get the phase maintenence that aircraft get as well. Which gives fresh cotters ever so many hours. I do agree with using the hitch clips with baby zipties on quads though, I use them myself and have never had a problem yet. ( Knock on wood)

hornetgod13
03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I aggree with you both, the hitch pins would be a suitable substitute. It's tensile strength is actually higher than cotter pins.

I've worked O-Level my entire career with the exception of a 3 year tour as an Instructor. My rate is AM. I used to be and AMH but the navy combined the AMS and AMH rates several years back. I'm a Chief (which is equivilent to a Gunney in the Marines) now so, I don't actually get my hands dirty as much as I like anymore. I've worked with Ratheon Mechanics on 2 shore tours. Good people. They get paid a lot more than I did and got to do the same job. I'd like to work for them when I retire in a few years.

Originally posted by jonboy
Hey Pappy at least your boy was safe.
HornetGod13, Are you a Depot level mech on a military air base? I use to work for Ratheon, worked on Cobras, Hueys, Frogs, and 53's after I got out of the Marines. I agree with you 100% about the paperclip bullsh**. They simply do not have the shear strength as the cotter pins. For that matter quads dont get the phase maintenence that aircraft get as well. Which gives fresh cotters ever so many hours. I do agree with using the hitch clips with baby zipties on quads though, I use them myself and have never had a problem yet. ( Knock on wood)

exrider008
03-18-2007, 11:31 AM
i use a piece of a clothes hanger. just put it through and bend it. havent had a problem yet.

schulte_85
03-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Fastenal is a national supplier.

400exrider707
03-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I aggree with you both, the hitch pins would be a suitable substitute. It's tensile strength is actually higher than cotter pins.

I think shear stress is the important one for this application... which Im sure is still higher than either paperclips or cotter pins

NacsMXer
03-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I think shear stress is the important one for this application... which Im sure is still higher than either paperclips or cotter pins

I completely agree with you guys on this. Hubs, especially the rear hubs are high stress areas...you want all the tensile strength you can get there to hold those big castle nuts back.

My idea sounds silly with the paper clips I know, but the only place I used them on my quad is the tie rod ends. I have never had a tie rod end nut come loose on me, but if it did I would know right away because of the newfound steering play. I pretty much only ride tracks too so I am always inspecting things during break sessions. The clips have done just fine for me for several years but i'll be sure to switch them out for some hitch pins when I can get my hands on a kit. That's an even easier as well as safer way to go in the long run :p

number5
03-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't recognize the name. I've flown in C-2s. I have 2 catapult shots and 4 arrested landing onboard carriers in the greyhound.

Flying in the C-2 was fun the first time. I work on reusable rocket engines now. I had enough after 8 years on turboprops. I dont get dirty now.

JOEX
03-20-2007, 12:54 AM
IMO Paper clips, safety wire & coat hangers will work fine for the short term, some may work better than others but the key is regular inspection.

The paper clip may and probably does work fine if it is inspected on a dialy basis and relaced as needed or only used in an emergency. But i'd rather have something that dosen't need that kind of attention like Cotter pins or hitch pins:)