PDA

View Full Version : running no airbox question....

800screws
03-15-2007, 04:16 PM
i'm making a lt250/500 hybrid. i'm done except for the airfilter...i ordered from duncan racing an adapter to run a 250r airfilter on the stock lt500 boot, problem is, it's a mx quad... i also ordered a twin air foam filter and a outerwear. do u think together, it would be good enough to race with or do i need a custom airbox? i do have to go through an occasonial wet spot from track watering...but no more than that.

the reason i ask is, i had a 250r once with a k&n filter with no airbox and the second i got near water it would constantly bog...

matt250r21
03-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I would not run MX without an airbox. I tried it once and it was a mistake.

esr250r86
03-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I would run an airbox your not going to gain alot more power if you dont run one just to be safe but if you didnt run an airbox it would be ok I guess if its not too wet but you would always have to be cleaning your air filter after every ride.

03-18-2007, 03:37 PM
It should be fine. I run no box and a K&n filter and a outer wear to keep the watter out. If the filter is mounted in the mittle of the sub frame like it should be not much watter will get at because when you hit a puddle watter shoots off to the left and right and the watter that does hit the filter will mostly be specs and just bead up and roll off.

Kirt13
03-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by nacs420
It should be fine. I run no box and a K&n filter and a outer wear to keep the watter out. If the filter is mounted in the mittle of the sub frame like it should be not much watter will get at because when you hit a puddle watter shoots off to the left and right and the watter that does hit the filter will mostly be specs and just bead up and roll off.
Agreed....the outer filter blocks out the water as long as you don't stop in a huge puddle that puts the air filter under water.

kustomfab2003
03-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I ran no airbox for awhile but all it took was once for something ot tear the filter and I wont do it again. You never know what is going to fly up and hit that area.